pixeltracker

Did I see the same show - Curious Dog

Did I see the same show - Curious Dog

Howard Shore
#1Did I see the same show - Curious Dog
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:22pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Florida-Principal-Pulls-CURIOUS-INCIDENT-as-HS-Reading-Assignment-20150819

I have not read the book but seen the play. Is the play radically different then the book. Because there was no mention of god in the play, and I do not see how someone breaking the glass ceiling means there is no god. Also doesn't Matilda also question this . I do not see that getting pulled for the shelf's. 

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 10:22 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2Did I see the same show - Curious Dog
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:27pm

The play isn't them reading the novel verbatim.

And this isn't the first time this has come up...

In 2006: "City Council member Chris Peden went a step further, asserting to the January 28 Galveston County Daily News that while he hadn’t read Curious Incident in its entirety, he had noted that the “F” word appeared on page four and that “later in the book, the [lead character] says there is no God and there is no life after death. Clearly, these are not ideas we should promote to kids.”

http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=news&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=115300

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 10:27 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#3Did I see the same show - Curious Dog
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:28pm

These people banning it should TOTES go see hand to God. 

Howard Shore
#4Did I see the same show - Curious Dog
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:29pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "These people banning it should TOTES go see hand to God. 

I think its the same idiots that hate marriage equality and do not have a life

ChiTheaterFan
#5Did I see the same show - Curious Dog
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:26pm

"I think its the same idiots that hate marriage equality and do not have a life"

And who want Donald trump to be president. Which is a frighteningly large group. 

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 11:26 PM

broadwayboy972 Profile Photo
broadwayboy972
#6Did I see the same show - Curious Dog
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:30pm

I read the book before seeing the play, and the play follows the book very closely, with a lot of dialogue coming straight out of the book. The whole time I kept thinking "I remember reading this" and it was really cool seeing it come to life onstage. However, there are some parts left out. The book's chapters are short and are usually him recalling things that have happened or him just talking about a certain thing- and in one chapter Christopher talked about religion and the fact that he doesn't believe in God. I think a lot was cut from the book mainly due to time constraints. 

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#7Did I see the same show - Curious Dog
Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:41pm

This just shows how deep the divide in our country is over things considered even remotely controversial. In the district where I teach, Curious Incident is part of the English 10 or English 11 curriculum (can't remember which). And I live in the "conservative Midwest."