Hamilton - the next big thing?

Howard Shore
#1Hamilton - the next big thing?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 8:53pm

This is a really stupid question.  Why is Hamilton the next big thing?  Its not like there has not been well reviewed musicals before like BOM, Gentleman's Guide etc Why is Hamilton so Special?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2Hamilton - the next big thing?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 9:42pm

Despite the thread being created for a different purpose, what you are asking is being discussed here:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1086114&dt=52

msbungee
#3Hamilton - the next big thing?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 10:20pm

Whether or not it's a "groundbreaking" musical, I'm curious to know what others think about the hype and popularity surrounding it?

Word of mouth has been insane and a ticket (and getting to say you saw it) is worth a fortune in social currency. When I tell people I saw Hamilton they gasp and ask, "How???" Obama's seen it and liked it. Every week there's new photos of celebs backstage with the cast. I kind of feel like people (along with the media) rave about it because everyone else has?

I'm not looking to undermine Hamilton, I thought it was a really cool show. But, I think a lot of its popularity might have nothing to do with the actual show at all? Even at the Ham4Ham lotteries, Lin entertains. There's an SA reunion, Jonathan Groff rapping...at least twenty people are taping it on their phones and posting to Twitter. Whether it's intentional or not, Lin's a mastermind at marketing too. He keeps the people talking.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#4Hamilton - the next big thing?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 10:21pm

Amazing Grace is the next big thing.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#5Hamilton - the next big thing?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 10:22pm

msbungee said: "I'm curious to know what others think about the hype and popularity surrounding it?"

You can't be too curious if you can't find people talking about Hamilton elsewhere on this board.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#6Hamilton - the next big thing?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 10:26pm

You'd get a lot more responses if you posted your question in the old thread. You might even find some answers there already.

People tend to look askance when someone like you makes a whole new post on one of the most avidly discussed topics on the board currently. Posting a thread like this makes you seem like a narcissistic needy attention whore. If you post your question in the existing thread, a lot of people would jump to answer you.

Try it!

FindingNamo
#7Hamilton - the next big thing?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 10:28pm

Say, do any of you guys know how to Madison?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#8Hamilton - the next big thing?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 10:32pm

FindingNamo said: "Say, do any of you guys know how to Madison?"

As a matter of fact...

rattleNwoolypenguin
#9Hamilton - the next big thing?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 10:50pm

The ticket prices....just unbelievable.

Lin Manuel you're writing shows that your "Washington Heights" audience can't for the life of them afford to see.

Howard Shore
#10Hamilton - the next big thing?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 10:57pm

delete this thread cheers

Updated On: 8/21/15 at 10:57 PM