The Humans

neonlightsxo
#50The Humans
Posted: 10/26/15 at 4:29pm

Nothing else is booked at the Pels until the spring. And I don't think they've even chosen the dates for the next show yet.

"It does not necessarily have to go to Broadway. The main point is it does not due after this engagement."

What?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#51The Humans
Posted: 10/26/15 at 5:04pm

Typo. It was supposed to be die.

Poster Emeritus

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#52The Humans
Posted: 10/26/15 at 5:04pm

Joe Mantello is such an innovative director that recent behavior has dictated that I see everything he directs - and this rave review in the Times has solidified that fact. Now, heres my dilemma, how much of the play will I miss - I read its on 2 levels - if I am sitting in the first few rows?  I have only been to Laura Pels Theater once back in 2007 I think it was to see Mr Marmalade with Michael Hall and Mamie Gummer.  

Hi- I don't think you will miss anything in the first few rows of the orchestra but you will have to look up to see the upstairs of the set. Not many scenes up there but there are a few.

And as far as this reply is concerned- which was aimed at me:

"Let's hear it for The Humans!"

By all means, Ethel, let's hear it for the stinker with the most references to stinking up the bathroom in the history of the theatre.

"Rave from the Times-Isherwood-who doesn't think we'll see a better play this season."

What? Better than John?!!! How can that be? Oh, maybe because that dud offered people eating Vienna Fingers near a Christmas tree, whereas this stinker regales us with recurrent references to fecal matter and cockroaches at Thanksgiving dinner.

Pumpkin pie, anyone?

"Others I've read have all been positive."

Ha ha ha ha ha. Considering how putrid and inept it is, could anyone have expected otherwise?

Do you like to go to the theatre? Have you liked anything? I'm curious. I would like to know a few titles of shows you liked. And why quote my post and remark. Why can't you just post your thoughts on the play. Why the attack or put-down that I must be wrong to like something you don't. I'm really curious as to why people like to put other people down.  

As Cloris Leachman once said as Phyllis to Gavin MacLeod's Murray on Mary Tyler Moore: "I'm just going to forget the whole ugly incident ever happened!"

Updated On: 10/26/15 at 05:04 PM

After Eight
#53The Humans
Posted: 10/26/15 at 6:34pm

"Why can't you just post your thoughts on the play. "

I already did.

"Why the attack or put-down that I must be wrong to like something you don't."

Ethel, perhaps you remember a recent thread in which I included this play in a list of those that were overhyped rot. YOU came in out of the blue to reproach me --- none too genteelly I might add --- for including it when a) it hadn't yet opened and b) you loved it, and saw it four times. And you're accusing me of "attacking" you?

As for your two points, I had no problem listing it as overhyped rot prior to its opening, because I knew that's exactly what it would be. And so it is, now officially. And honestly, I didn't "attack" you for liking it. I responded to your call to cheer for it. Unlike you, I find absolutely nothing to cheer about here.

As for what I like, I posted a highly favorable opinion of the recent Musicals Tonight revival of Oh, Kay!

And one other thing. In the John thread you asked a question about the intermission monologue. Who was the person who provided you with the answer? I assure you, if I hadn't had respect for you, I wouldn't have answered. And foolish as it may be, despite this little contretemps, I still have respect for you.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#54The Humans
Posted: 10/27/15 at 2:14am

I am trying to wrap my head around what people think "hype" is. I'm serious. I can't find a dictionary definition that aligns with the way the term is flung around here as if it were fecal matter. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#55The Humans
Posted: 10/27/15 at 8:32am

Hype is when a lot of other people like something you don't and you're annoyed by it. Duh!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jbm2
#56The Humans
Posted: 10/31/15 at 12:10am

Glad I saw this before it transferred. I absolutely loved it. 

Just don't think it will play as well in a larger Broadway house as it does Off-Broadway