Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in

BroadMagTech
#1Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in
Posted: 10/19/15 at 11:33am

So, now that Aladdin is officially on its way to the Prince Edward Theatre, any news on Miss Saigon's Broadway transfer?

I think that based on everything I have read about this production and the current availability of Beroadway houses and the state of them in to next few months, I think Saigon will go into The Shubert, Imperial, or maybe even Winter Garden. I know It won't go back into the Broadway. Waiting is the hardest part

Updated On: 10/19/15 at 11:33 AM

c0113g3b0y
#2Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in
Posted: 10/19/15 at 10:02pm

I think that it will most likely go to the Imperial. Cameron Mackintosh has been so cheapskate with his productions of late, it makes sense for Les Mis to go back on tour using the current Broadway set (regional rights were just pulled for Les Mis if I'm not mistaken).

Who knows whether the Broadway theatre will open up in time for it though. Fiddler on The Roof, as far as I know, is a purely commercial production as it doesn't have the backing of the Lincoln Centre Theatre subscriber base. 

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#3Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in
Posted: 10/20/15 at 12:19am

I have never seen Miss Saigon and recently heard the Miss Saigon cast album for the first time. I didn't know that Miss Saigon is based on the very sad opera Madame Butterfly. I could not finish listening to Miss Saigon because it was just too depressing.

I'm going to pass on seeing the revival, because it's too sad -- it makes Les Miz seem like "The Ernie Kovacs Show" in comparison.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#4Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in
Posted: 10/20/15 at 6:06am

Don't pass on Saigon Audrey.  It's a beautiful show with sweeping music and great visual effects.  You and I both love "Phantom", and it also ends on a sad note but I wouldn't miss it for the ending.  There are funny moments in the show as well.  If you can see it Audrey, you won't be sorry.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in
Posted: 10/20/15 at 8:42am

Miss Saigon was the first musical I was really super into. But our relationship is now categorized as "IT'S COMPLICATED." Every time I've gone back to listen to Miss Saigon I've liked it less and less.

But it'll make other people happy.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#6Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in
Posted: 10/20/15 at 10:50am

I loved Miss Saigon. 

It is heartbreaking. It is very sad. But it is based on truth in many ways. There have been some horrible things we did in Vietnam and there were many who suffered cause of it. 

But I think the story boils down to ....how far will you go for the one you love when no one else will... and what sacrifices will you take. 

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

BroadMagTech
#7Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in
Posted: 10/20/15 at 11:32am

But to close Les Miz, the more well known and better acclaimed of the two shows, and to open up Miss Saigon, a show by the same composers in the same theater? It's definitely likely but the more I think about it, it sounds like a bad business decision.

The Imperial would be perfect for this new production but is it a smart move? I think the Shubert would be a good choice. Updated On: 10/20/15 at 11:32 AM

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#8Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in
Posted: 10/20/15 at 11:41am

The Imperial would be perfect for this new production but is it a smart move? I think the Shubert would be a good choice.

Did I miss something? I haven't heard that Matilda is closing anytime soon.

BroadMagTech
#9Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in
Posted: 10/20/15 at 2:25pm

Matilda has not announced it is closing but I think ticket sales will start to fall. Plus, you need to account for every Broadway theatre Saigon could play and estimate the odds of the theatre becoming available.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#10Miss Saigon out, Aladdin in
Posted: 10/20/15 at 2:39pm

Hearing Fall 2016 Imperial for Miss Saigon

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George