pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/1/15- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/1/15

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#50Sylvia?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 12:11pm

MarkBearSF said: "It seems Sylvia hasn't caught fire. I know there are only four cast members, But I'd imagine Matthew Broderick is getting paid well, and Laurie Metcalf and Annaleigh Ashford are probably not being paid scale."

Laurie Metcalf does Misery and Sylvia simultaneously? Sylvia?

Liza's Headband
#51Sylvia?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 12:12pm

and I am sure the Estefans are not double diping in royalties and asking an exorbitant amount to the point where the show can't sustain itself with grosses under a million dollars.

An absolutely ridiculous assumption. Miranda doesn't reduce, discount or give up his (hefty) share of weekly box office receipts and/or royalties for HAMILTON. Why would you assume the Estefans do? Typically, it's the exact opposite so be careful of the many dangerous assumptions you make. It completely undermines every other valid point you make. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#52Sylvia?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 12:23pm

MarkBearSF said: "Surprised that I've not seen "look at those numbers" talk about the show."

The only frame that would raise eyebrows is the current one and, as rehearsed, it is hard to get too exercised about that when almost everyone had a huge drop. Although I don't know, I assume they make money or at least break even at the earlier grosses. 

@Liza's Headband-I basically agree but it is apples and oranges because the Estafans are major producers of their show whereas LMM is not a producer of his. It is very common in such situations that they would forego if need be, but it does not appear there is such a need so the question is really moot.

Liza's Headband
#53Sylvia?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 2:05pm

I am well aware, Hogan. But 1.) collecting royalties and partaking in a share of box office receipts or weekly profits are two completely different things and 2.) the confidence he/she framed the assumption had me very concerned. We have absolutely no clue what the Estefans are or are not doing....  

VintageSnarker
#54Sylvia?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 2:11pm

"It's interesting to me why Hamilton prints out cast sheets for the respective performance each day even if there aren't any understudies. When you see a huge slip like that you think there are a million understudies but usually that's not the case."

Something Rotten had a print out though the only cast members I noticed who were out were Kate Reinders and Michael James Scott. But maybe there were also some non-principals I didn't notice.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#55Sylvia?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 2:26pm

Liza, you are missing my point. We don't need to know what they are or are not doing to say that it is common that people forego (or, more optimistically, defer) money due to them extra-contractually when there is a cash flow issue, and they have a stake, especially a large one. 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#56Sylvia?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 4:48pm

"Laurie Metcalf does Misery and Sylvia simultaneously?

DAMMIT - that'll teach me to have a second (third) cocktail before posting. Of course, you're right. I meant Julie White. (I was also thinking that if I were in town I'd want to see both Misery and Sylvia only to see them - and Annaleigh Ashford. Not for the putative star)

"

Updated On: 11/3/15 at 04:48 PM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#57Sylvia?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 4:53pm

HogansHero said: "MarkBearSF said: "Surprised that I've not seen "look at those numbers" talk about the show."

Not that I've been tracking it as closely as some do here, but I thought its numbers have been consistently soft for a star vehicle type of play. (I just checked and they moved from starting week at 50% or gross and then headed down to 40% more or less)

There's been talk about Les Miz, Dames and others, but not Sylvia.

Updated On: 11/3/15 at 04:53 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#58Sylvia?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 7:05pm

Mark-it is soft, but not in the sort of perilous range of Dames (or others that get/have gotten a lot of attention here). I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that (a) it is not a musical and a lot of people here don't even seem to know there is anything else, (b) a lot of people just couldn't care less about this show and (c) I seriously doubt any "star" is making all that much so I doubt the basic weekly costs over the average prior last week which may be an anomaly. But frankly anybody who thinks there is a star in this show who can sell more tickets than they have been selling is delusional. I think Broderick would work for food at this point. 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#59Sylvia?
Posted: 11/4/15 at 1:57am

Hogan - assuming your take is accurate, that would explain a lot. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#60Sylvia?
Posted: 11/4/15 at 8:19am

MarkBearSF said: "Hogan - assuming your take is accurate, that would explain a lot."

isn't that always the case ? Sylvia?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#61Sylvia?
Posted: 11/4/15 at 10:12am

HogansHero said: "isn't that always the case ? "

Pretty much!

Videos