pixeltracker

Best wheelchair-accessible shows/theaters

Best wheelchair-accessible shows/theaters

gummy614
#1Best wheelchair-accessible shows/theaters
Posted: 11/15/15 at 12:54am

Hi all, I'm hosting a visitor to NYC in a couple weeks who uses a wheelchair, and we would love to see a Broadway show together. Most theaters have just a couple accessible seats that are almost always all the way on the side or in the very back of the rear mezzanine / balcony. Any wheelchair-users out there who have had a good experience at a certain show or theater in an accessible seat? Thank you!!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2Best wheelchair-accessible shows/theaters
Posted: 11/15/15 at 1:28am

gummy614 said: "Most theaters have just a couple accessible seats that are almost always all the way on the side or in the very back of the rear mezzanine / balcony."

I'm not sure this is actually true, especially that they would always be in the back of rear/mezz/balcony, but why not go the other way: What show(s) might you want to see? On Telecharge, every show has a Tab for Access Info on where seating is located; on Ticktmaster, you can select accessible seating right from the seating chart, etc.

It is also a different issue if you want a transfer seat or whether she has to remain in her wheelchair throughout the show. Many theaters hold good orchestra aisle transfer seats in the center of the house. But some houses do leave spots more further back and off to the side.

I know, Studio 54 has a wheelchair seat on the front row aisle of the center orchestra, and many of them have them in the back of center orchestra, as well. But nearly all of them will have a way for you to see every show, so it's more about what you want to see...

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#3Best wheelchair-accessible shows/theaters
Posted: 11/15/15 at 7:26am

I know the Gershwin is easy to navigate, so Wicked. Spring Awakening would be another fantastic choice, especially to see the first woman in a wheelchair to do Broadway.

bkk232
#4Best wheelchair-accessible shows/theaters
Posted: 11/15/15 at 1:55pm

I'm a wheelchair user and attend broadway shows often. Most accessible seats are at the back and sides of the orchestra. I've almost never had a problem at a broadway house and the seats are usually very good. My favorite theaters are the St. James and Richard Rodgers but all are very accomidating. The only theater I don't like for accessibility is the Helen Hayes. If you're down for an off broadway show The Public and BAM are very accessible too. Best of luck. Have a great time!

gummy614
#5Best wheelchair-accessible shows/theaters
Posted: 11/15/15 at 10:56pm

Thanks all! I was worried the view from the orchestra sides might be obstructed or unsatisfying, so it's great to hear the seats are just fine. We were deciding between An American in Paris and Beautiful, and AAIP has a couple accessible seats in the back of center orchestra that I think will be very good!

peapod41
#6Best wheelchair-accessible shows/theaters
Posted: 11/18/15 at 4:22pm

I am glad to see this thread because I plan to visit New York someday and see a show or two and I need to figure out what is most accessible. Thanks to everyone who posted.??

Videos