London Spy BBC

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25London Spy BBC
Posted: 2/20/16 at 10:12am

Exactly

Slow moving. Hard to follow with commercials seemingly every 10 minutes. Would have liked it better commercial free.The cast is first rate.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 2/20/16 at 10:12 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#26London Spy BBC
Posted: 2/21/16 at 2:07am

Holy SH*Tnacks, that last episode was garbage.  Everyone said it ended terribly, but even with lowered expectations I couldn't believe how bad it was. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#27London Spy BBC
Posted: 2/21/16 at 2:50am

I said this before but the BBC cut to commercials very abruptly and then the previews of scenes to come spoiled the viewing process. Had they worked their way to the ending within the middle episodes it might have been more believable. Ultimately it was depressing.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#28London Spy BBC
Posted: 2/21/16 at 3:54pm

I watched them on iTunes so I didn't have the cuts to commercial but the cut to the next episode bumpers were abrupt there, too. 

They really are are terrible the way they stick commercials into shows that weren't designed that way, which are the shows that air on the BBC first. It's the same way with Doctor Who. 

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#29London Spy BBC
Posted: 2/21/16 at 6:40pm

Forget the commercials.

My problem is that the story makes no sense.

SPOILERS:

Why don't the cops believe Danny when he says Al. was murdered?  Why would the cops not believe that anyone who was locked in a trunk was killed by another person either through drug-induced failure to get him out (which they eventually threaten to charge Danny with) or intentional homicide? 
What was the purpose of Danny being infected with hiv?  A scare tactic?  Don't buy it.
Why would his support group seem to not question his story?  Really... REALLY?
Why other than DRAMA BOOST does Nanny/bio mom set fire to the labyrinth?
Why is Scotty so insufferably and uncharacteristically mean when he meets Al.?
Why is there so much convolution with so little purpose?
What can possibly explain Danny's inexplicable actions when he discovers Al's body?   Why does he go into the laptop?  Why does he get anxious about the phone?
What's with Dann's parents in the last episode?  What the hell was the purpose of that stratagem?

And that's just scratching the surface of identifying all the things that never connected to any reasonable explanation.

I'm sure maybe there are reasons for some of these that I just didn't get through no fault of the script.
But all of them?

Updated On: 2/21/16 at 06:40 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#30London Spy BBC
Posted: 2/21/16 at 7:02pm

The story was a bit befuddling to say the least. Throw in commercials every 5 minutes made it almost incomprehensible.

Poster Emeritus

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#31London Spy BBC
Posted: 2/22/16 at 6:01pm

henrikegerman said: "Why would the cops not believe that anyone who was locked in a trunk was killed by another person either through drug-induced failure to get him out (which they eventually threaten to charge Danny with) or intentional homicide?"

Because that, at least, is true to the actual case from which the basis of this series was lifted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24927078

Updated On: 2/22/16 at 06:01 PM

henrikegerman
#32London Spy BBC
Posted: 2/23/16 at 10:07am

Interesting, but the series doesn't give us any idea why the coroner would draw such a conclusion.  And at least for the audience that isn't aware of this real life source for the story - and I'm sure for anyone interested in the real life investigation -  that remains a huge dramaturgical - or in real life a huge investigative oversight -  gaping question.

henrikegerman
#33London Spy BBC
Posted: 2/23/16 at 10:14am

Moreover, the coroner concluded that Williams was killed unlawfully though not in a criminally mediated way.  Which suggests that it wasn't murder but was criminally negligent homicide, which is exactly what it appears the cops are investigating Danny for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gareth_Williams

My problem is why the series did a **** job of making this clear.  And if I recall correctly, the cops are very quick to disbelieve Danny that it was murder.  Which makes absolutely no sense, particularly to audience members who are unfamiliar with the Williams case. 

Updated On: 2/23/16 at 10:14 AM

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#34London Spy BBC
Posted: 2/23/16 at 10:34am

Well, I hung in and dvr'd the whole thing and I have to agree with everyone...after such a great start, WHY did it get so f*@ked up? Super cast, I hope they got paid well. RIP London Spy.

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?