pixeltracker

The Beauty Queen of Leenane returns!- Page 3

The Beauty Queen of Leenane returns!

lida rose Profile Photo
lida rose
#50The Beauty Queen Of Leenane returns!
Posted: 1/23/17 at 12:37pm

"For example, why did Maureen end up staying? Her two sisters apparently escaped. What kept Maureen back? To my knowledge, this is never explored."

i had some trouble with the accents as well, but i believe they mentioned that maureen's release from the asylum was conditional on returning home to the care of her mother. so either she legally can't leave, or inertia & fear of relapse took over after that.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#51The Beauty Queen Of Leenane returns!
Posted: 1/23/17 at 1:01pm

Thank you, Lida!

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#52The Beauty Queen Of Leenane returns!
Posted: 1/23/17 at 9:54pm

What kept Maureen back? To my knowledge, this is never explored.

Except it's the crux of the whole play! The psychological games and torment between the two women, Mag's fear of being left alone, undermining her confidence etc. That's my understanding, having only read the script, anyhow.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#53The Beauty Queen Of Leenane returns!
Posted: 1/23/17 at 10:12pm

What kept Maureen back? To my knowledge, this is never explored.

Maureen ended up back home in Galway after having a nervous breakdown while working as a cleaner in London and being bullied mercilessly by the other women. She ended up in some form of care (Difford Hall, if I recall correctly) but was signed out by her mother. What I really liked about Aisling O Sullivans portrayal in the current tour was Maureen came across very juvenile to me - more so than I thought when reading the play. I feel that Maureen cant leave by herself because of anxiety and fear; thats why she clings onto Pato - she can leave with him. If she could have left by herself, the presence of Pato wouldn't be so important. With so much abuse, she certainly has enough reasons to warrant her leaving but until Pato she never had a way out.