pixeltracker

Musical Suggestion - Modern and Catchy- Page 2

Musical Suggestion - Modern and Catchy

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#25Musical Suggestion - Modern and Catchy
Posted: 2/8/16 at 7:30am

_IrisTInkerbell said: "I loved Finding Neverland, but I'm not sure it fits your bill. The score is modern, and upbeat at times. But the story is quite emotional. I've seen it twice and cried twice at the end. Have you seen the movie?

What makes you think Something Rotten is "old-time"? Yes, it's set in the 16th century, but it's a modern pop-rock score, and there's nothing old-school musical theater about it. It's definitely catchy. But if it hangs on the cast for you, just wait until they announce a cast-change (or not). You should still be able to get good tickets closer to the date.

Also, I obviously haven't seen American Psycho yet, but that might fit the bill, too?

"

American Psycho could be an interesting one.  I did like the movie (and love thriller/horror).  Funny that it's a musical.  (Then again, there is  "Evil Dead, The Musical"...lol).  Since it doesn't preview until March, do they release any songs beforehand?

Think I saw Misery too

As for Something Rottern, the fact that it takes place so long ago and (I think) is based on Shakespeare makes me think it's old fashioned.

Updated On: 2/8/16 at 07:30 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26Musical Suggestion - Modern and Catchy
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:08am

There are a few songs on American Psycho's website.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

verdigris
#27Musical Suggestion - Modern and Catchy
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:16am

Have you watched the Something Rotten! Tony performance? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOsp0rqzDKE

It is a great show. Lots of modern theatre references, don't let the time period put you off if you are interested - it's definitely a modern musical.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#28Musical Suggestion - Modern and Catchy
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:59am

If anything, Something Rotten is making fun of both Shakespeare and musicals.

And it's not based on Shakespeare, it's about Shakespeare. The basic concept is that Shakespeare is a kind of rockstar (with groupies and all) whose fame is getting a bit to his head, while poor Nick Bottom is trying write a good show but like every other bard is overshadowed by Shakespeare. So he hires a Soothsayer to tell him what Shakespeare's next big hit will be... what follows is the number from the Tony Awards.

It's hilarious, and in no way old-fashioned, neither in tone nor style nor music. If it wasn't modern, the whole thing would fall apart because it wouldn't be funny.

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#29Musical Suggestion - Modern and Catchy
Posted: 2/8/16 at 11:55am

_IrisTInkerbell said: "If anything, Something Rotten is making fun of both Shakespeare and musicals.

And it's not based on Shakespeare, it's about Shakespeare. The basic concept is that Shakespeare is a kind of rockstar (with groupies and all) whose fame is getting a bit to his head, while poor Nick Bottom is trying write a good show but like every other bard is overshadowed by Shakespeare. So he hires a Soothsayer to tell him what Shakespeare's next big hit will be... what follows is the number from the Tony Awards.

It's hilarious, and in no way old-fashioned, neither in tone nor style nor music. If it wasn't modern, the whole thing would fall apart because it wouldn't be funny.

"

Thank you.  The more I look at YouTube, I think Something Rotten will be a great selection for us.