pixeltracker

Caroline, or Change needs a revival- Page 2

Caroline, or Change needs a revival

broadwayboy223
#25Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 7:59pm

Vocally Audra could do it 8 times a week. I know Tonya struggled. As much as I love Renee I don't see her in this at all. I could for sure Cynthia doing it down the road or better yet Audra and Cynthia in the same production!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#26Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 8:00pm

Uzo Aduba reads way too young for Caroline. She would make a brilliant Dottie which is one of the great underrated supporting roles in the musical theatre canon. Caroline may be 39 (Aduba reads early-to-mid 30s), but she should look older because of her situation. 

I adore Audra McDonald and after seeing her as Billy Holliday will never say she isn't capable of turning in a rougher characterization than what I usually associate with her, yet I don't think she would be an exciting choice for the part. 

I really like the idea of Chandra Wilson sort of graduating to Caroline.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

iluvtheatertrash
#27Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 8:18pm

Erivo, much as I love her, is all wrong for this role. LaChanze might be fine, but I think you need someone a bit more hard-edged. 

I like the idea of Chandra Wilson graduating too... Or a relatively unknown performer, like Laiona Michelle who was one of the best things about AMAZING GRACE as Nanna.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

iluvtheatertrash
#28Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 8:18pm

Does S. Epatha Merkerson sing well enough? She'd be divine if so.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

cuz-i-can
#29Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 8:37pm

You are all naming people that don't have the vocal capacity for a thunderous role like Caroline, most of these women couldn't pull off rose in gypsy let alone Caroline. Chandra Wilson as much as I like her is all wrong, and I simply dont think Lachanze can pull it off. I guess anybody following Tonya is going to be up for harsh scrutiny. Tonya has a rare talent that takes to pull off a role like Caroline. The only person so far who might come fairly close is Uzo. Id rather see Tonya reprise her role then see Lachanze since Lachanze is a year older than Tonya. I can honestly see Danielle Brooks tackling this role in the future I think she has the chops for it.

broadwayboy223
#30Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 8:39pm

As much as i love Uzo vocally she couldn't do the role. Her belt isn't very good. I heard she's classically trained though so she might be better at that. I could see Danielle doing it in the future I guess. 

cuz-i-can
#31Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 8:39pm

broadwayboy223 said: "Vocally Audra could do it 8 times a week. I know Tonya struggled. As much as I love Renee I don't see her in this at all. I could for sure Cynthia doing it down the road or better yet Audra and Cynthia in the same production!

"

Really? I heard Tonya rarely missed a performance, so I don't know about her struggling. Audra is not a belter and though she does everything well, I feel this is a role she shouldn't try to take on.

broadwayboy223
#32Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 8:46pm

Tonya probably never missed a performance but her voice did faulted at times. The reason I see Audra as a viable option is because she might not be able to chest it out like Tonya but she could definitely sing it in a healthy mixed voice. Also Audra is someone who producers and backers could get behind. Speaking of Tonya anyone know how's she doing after the whole Mother Courage debacle? I hope she's able to work again. She's crazy but wow what a talent. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#33Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 8:49pm

I think that Caroline needs an earthy singing voice that sounds raw and spiritual.  I hear that in Uzo Aduba's voice.  I actually think that she reads older then her actual age (35).  She's a wonderful actress on top of that.

Chandra Wilson was one of the first people I thought of, but she wouldn't come off powerful enough.

I cannot see Lanchanze playing Caroline at all and Danielle Brooks is far too young.

The reason I mentioned Doyle for direction wasn't because I wanted to see him strip the show down any further, but because I can see him digging down into the material and bringing it forward better than many other directors could.  Sam Gold would be another great choice.

cuz-i-can
#34Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 8:51pm

She's currently filming the fox series Gotham

icecreambenjamin
#35Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 8:57pm

What about Rose, Emmie, and Dottie?  Who would you like to see play those parts?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#36Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 9:15pm

A great show that,alas, would need a celebrity to succeed on Broadway.  Maybe if someone like Jill Scott was interested...

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

cuz-i-can
#37Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 9:21pm

Borstalboy said: "A great show that,alas, would need a celebrity to succeed on Broadway.  Maybe if someone like Jill Scott was interested...

"

Thank you, somebody finally agrees with my earlier post, Jill Scott might really be the person to do this part Justice. Right age, right vocal type, theatre background. Sh'es my 1st choice for Caroline if they were to do a revival anytime soon!!!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#38Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 9:23pm

Jill Scot never crossed my mind. I might pay just to hear her "Lot's Wife" (Which I am hearing in my mind now and it is fabulous!)

Just give the world Love.

cuz-i-can
#39Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 9:25pm

JILL SCOTT FOR CAROLINE!!!! I'm sure Tonya would approve

cuz-i-can
#40Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 9:37pm

Caroline choices: Jill Scott, Da'vine Joy Randolph, Moya Angela

Emmie choices: Cynthia Erivo, Shaniece Williams (wiz live), keke palmer, adrienne warren, Joaquina Kalukango

Dottie: Amber Riley, Carly Hughes, Carrie Compere, Danielle Brooks, Patrice Covington

Moon: Patrice Covington or Rema Webb

cuz-i-can
#41Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 9:45pm

Washing Machine: Moya Angela

Dryer/Bus: Kyle Scatliffe, Phillip Boykin

icecreambenjamin
#42Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 9:51pm

Would Judy Kuhn be too old to play Rose?

wicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
#43Caroline, or Change needs a revival
Posted: 2/12/16 at 10:29pm

An idea that I saw once on here for Rose was Jane Krakowski, which I think could be kind of brilliant and unexpected. 

I wouldn't consider Judy Kuhn too old.

"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times