Ring Of Fire

krmbdwy Profile Photo
krmbdwy
#1Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 7:23pm

Hi everyone, Sorry if I haven't been asking questions on here lately. Last year was not good for my family and I got busy. I have a question though. Has anyone seen "Ring of Fire" On Broadway? If they did was it any good?

Wilmingtom
#2Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 7:26pm

The songs are terrific, the show not so much.

krmbdwy Profile Photo
krmbdwy
#3Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 7:38pm

Wilmingtom said: "The songs are terrific, the show not so much.

Oh? It wasn't good? Don't mind me asking but what wasn't good about it?

Updated On: 2/24/16 at 07:38 PM

Wilmingtom
#4Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 8:17pm

The spirit of Cash is nowhere to be found.  The show is too cutesy by half, more akin to The Larwence Welk Show than the Grand Ole Opry.  It's not a bio musical about Cash's life and career but a random collection of his songs strung together without any evident through-line.  Just lazy.

krmbdwy Profile Photo
krmbdwy
#5Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 8:27pm

Wilmingtom said: "The spirit of Cash is nowhere to be found.  The show is too cutesy by half, more akin to The Larwence Welk Show than the Grand Ole Opry.  It's not a bio musical about Cash's life and career but a random collection of his songs strung together without any evident through-line.  Just lazy.

*shakes head* what was Broadway thinking creating that? It does sound dumb now that you mention it, Reminds me of "Good Vibrations".

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#6Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 9:05pm

They did a revised small cast actor/musician version with five actors at Pittsburgh CLO. The script was stripped away of the corniness and much of the material- it became five country and folk musicians just telling tales about Cash and playing and singing his songs.

Not a masterpiece, but a HUGE improvement over the previous versions.

Wilmingtom
#7Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 9:11pm

That certainly sounds like an improvement. The schlocky narrative between songs was just embarrassing.

krmbdwy Profile Photo
krmbdwy
#8Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 9:28pm

Wow, that sounds like a better version than the Broadway one. smiley

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#9Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 9:35pm

Yeah, it was pleasant, and worked way better as a revue with storytelling than it did as a jukebox or biomusical.

krmbdwy Profile Photo
krmbdwy
#10Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 10:10pm

I see.... Good thing it didn't stay on Broadway very long. smiley

mamaleh
#11Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 10:32pm

I remember really only the entire cast singing--each one city down the line--"I've Been Everywhere." I guess it's telling that this particular number is the only one that remains in my memory, plus the fine performance by Jarrod Emick. Wish he'd return to Broadway. 

krmbdwy Profile Photo
krmbdwy
#12Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/24/16 at 10:49pm

mamaleh said: "I remember really only the entire cast singing--each one city down the line--"I've Been Everywhere." I guess it's telling that this particular number is the only one that remains in my memory, plus the fine performance by Jarrod Emick. Wish he'd return to Broadway. 

I agree with you, Jarrod Emick should return to Broadway. I haven't seen him do anything but I do have the 1994 revival of "Damn Yankees" CD with him in it.  Also I bet that you enjoyed his performance very well.

mamaleh
#13Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/25/16 at 12:24am

Emick is a rock-solid performer who always delivers.  No disappointments yet.

krmbdwy Profile Photo
krmbdwy
#14Ring Of Fire
Posted: 2/25/16 at 9:37pm

It sounds like he is a good actor and a good singer toosmiley

Videos