pixeltracker

Hazel - A Musical Maid in America opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago- Page 2

Hazel - A Musical Maid in America opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago

ArtMan
#25Hazel - a new musical opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago
Posted: 4/9/16 at 10:28am

That was really just awful.   Other than the Hazel uniform, there is nothing in those clips that resemble any part of the tv show.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#26Hazel - a new musical opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago
Posted: 4/9/16 at 10:32am

I'm pulling for this show.

I don't really know why since all I know about is from this thread, but it looks colorful and fun.

The show will live or die on Blackhurst, and by all accounts so far she's doing a great job.

....but the world goes 'round

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27Hazel - a new musical opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago
Posted: 4/9/16 at 3:30pm

It is really a homogenized show and back than it was the same way. It was like Ozzie & Harriet  if you get my drift. It is on retro tv station now and I do not even bother watching it. It was boring and doubt a musical could change that. It would be like taking a Hugo and one morning you wake up and it is a Cadillac  

Poster Emeritus

Tom5
#28Hazel - a new musical opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago
Posted: 4/9/16 at 3:49pm

The actors all look great. And physically everything appears first rate. But comparing it to "Annie" would take a giant leap of faith. Leaving aside Annie's fantastic score it had a fully developed story  FDR, Daddy Warbucks, Miss Hannigan, orphanage, depression, cute little girl, dog, golden locket. it was just packed with goodies. Plus it was squarely aimed for children. Who is this aimed for? I hope at least the story is strong.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#29Hazel - a new musical opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago
Posted: 4/9/16 at 4:10pm

tazber said: "I'm pulling for this show.
I don't really know why since all I know about is from this thread, but it looks colorful and fun.
The show will live or die on Blackhurst, and by all accounts so far she's doing a great job."

Oh, Honey... I sooooo love your optimism, but (even as a former Chicago actor, knowing not one, but two really talented Chicago actors I've worked with in the past who are in this production) despite all good intentions, the current Chicago reviewers make good sense. 

There are a lot of strikes against the show that have not been addressed in the writing. Additionally, the score (with minimal exception) is pretty run-of-the-mill. Some plot/character elements are just plain "wrong" (and I use quotation marks purposefully).

Optimistically, anything can happen, but like the premiere of "Beaches" at Drury Lane Oakbrook, the hype of presenting a world premiere, pre-Broadway production doesn't always match up with the reality of a quality show that will absolutely play on Broadway. 

Not a negative... just how things play out. wink

EDIT: And for the record, Drury Lane Oakbrook produces many, many excellent productions. It's my understanding that the recent premiers of Beaches and Hazel are primarily due to the hiring of one, particular associate (who's name has been published in the past, but unfortunately escapes me, now).

Kudos to her (DANG IT... I'll update if I can find her name again...) for takin' a chance!

Updated On: 4/9/16 at 04:10 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#30Hazel - a new musical opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago
Posted: 4/10/16 at 9:15am

It would be like taking a Hugo and one morning you wake up and it is a Cadillac 

"Hugo"?  Are you sure about that?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#31Hazel - a new musical opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago
Posted: 4/10/16 at 9:23am

>Plus it was squarely aimed for children. <

One of the virtues of that original production of Annie (still never equaled) is that it was never squarely aimed at children. It eventually did attract family audiences, but it was a success with adults first before ever becoming a "family show". 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#32Hazel - a new musical opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago
Posted: 4/10/16 at 9:47am

It's my understanding that the recent premiers of Beaches and Hazel are primarily due to the hiring of one, particular associate (who's name has been published in the past, but unfortunately escapes me, now)"

Beaches premiered at Signature Theatre in Arlington last year.

jon5202 Profile Photo
jon5202
newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#34Hazel - a new musical opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago
Posted: 4/13/16 at 9:15am

I haven't seen this production, and can only speak about last year's workshop. The book is a bore, except when it's idiotic. It feels as though several writers took turns on alternating scenes without actually reading each others' work, so the story and characters are mindlessly inconsistent. Bonkers Johnson and his story make absolutely no sense. Nor does the manipulated "problem" with Mrs. B wanting to pursue a career. The score is nothing more than serviceable, with several power ballads that don't jibe with the semi-camp/frivolous tone of the book. Klea Blackhurst did a gargantuan lifting job with the leaden material, but it would take a star with the power of Angela Lansbury, Carol Channing, and Ethel Merman rolled into one to make it work, and Blackhurst just isn't a star.

The workshop gave the feeling that then-director Lucie Arnaz was attempting to make the story/book work, so I find it odd that these producers would jettison her in favor of promoting Joshua "Lots Of Random Movement But I Have No Idea What's Happening" Bergasse to the helm.