Bravo Stephen Schwartz!

JM226
#25Bravo Stephen Schwartz!
Posted: 4/4/16 at 11:03am

this is the epitome of privilege. he can afford to revoke the rights and licenses of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of schools and theatre companies.  where was he when same-sex marriage was illegal and not recognized by the federal government? he was busy reaping the benefits and making millions while an entire class was unfairly discriminated. never heard or read about any suggestion of a nation-wide ban on his shows until equality and gay marriage was recognized/legalized/etc. 

what about the anti-LGBT legislation recently passed in Mississippi, Missouri, Virginia, Arkansas and Texas?? why isn't he revoking rights and banning productions there, too?  it's easy to applaud someone when it doesn't directly impact you or only has the APPEARANCE of being a principled stand; the problem is that it's punishing innocent people who did not vote for those legislators enacting these laws.

this is not an effective protest and not at all consistent with his previous behavior, advocacy or involvement. this is a hollow, vapid, calculated "decision" crafted by Mr. Schwartz's very expensive army of publicists because he can afford to absorb the loss while other stakeholders of his theatrical properties (co-writers, estates, copyright holders, producers, etc.) may NOT have the same ability. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#26Bravo Stephen Schwartz!
Posted: 4/4/16 at 12:44pm

Isn't Stephen from North Carolina. Maybe that's why he's targeting only that state

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

IlanaKeller
#27Bravo Stephen Schwartz!
Posted: 4/4/16 at 12:50pm

Sorry, again, I didn't realize this thread existed when I posted my other one. I wrote this column yesterday in response to Stephen Schwartz's decision, and my very mixed feelings about it. I would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.app.com/story/entertainment/theater/2016/04/03/stephen-schwartzs-decision-right-track/82583528/

Twitter: @IlanaKeller Latest work: app.com/topic/asbury-park-broadway/

astromiami
#28Bravo Stephen Schwartz!
Posted: 4/5/16 at 7:52am

OlBlueEyes---I do not think you get what this law does. Under this law men will be OBLIGATED to use the female rest room and vice versa. It requires that people use the rest room for the gender they were born, not the gender they are now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/north-carolina-transgender-tweet_us_56f3f787e4b04c4c3761652b

I guess people in NC are more progressive than I am and are okay with mixed gender bathrooms.

Jallenc32
#29Bravo Stephen Schwartz!
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:12am

astromiami said: "It requires that people use the rest room for the gender they were born, not the gender they are now."

Actually it requires them to use the rest room for the gender on their birth certificate, which can be legally changed.  A minor distinction perhaps, but a distinction nonetheless. 

Videos