Tony Award TV Ratings

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 7:08pm

Doubt it will make enough of a swell in the ratings for C BS to say they want to reup for 5 more years. It might be up. Who knows. Time will tell

Poster Emeritus

Broadway kid 2
#26Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 7:23pm

aaaaaa15 said: "Jay94 said: "I agree that people outside of New York and LA probably don't know or don't care about Hamilton. It might make a marginal difference but it's not like that many people have actually seen the show yet in the grand scheme of things."

I think you are underestimating the power of the internet with teenagers and other young people. There are youngsters all over the country who are obsessed with this show, whether they have seen it or not. Sure, your aunt from the midwest may not have heard of it, but if you know any teenagers who keep up with pop culture, they absolutely will have.

There are numerous TV shows (The Simpsons, SNL, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, The Mindy Project and more) that have all referenced Hamilton in their new seasons on the basis that their audiences know what it is. I think it's difficult to realize how big it is for those who aren't into theatre when we all knew about it before it even started off-broadway.

"

Jay94
#27Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:31pm

The young Hamilton fans you're talking about probably watch the Tony Awards every year anyway.

Liza's Headband
#28Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:33pm

No. HAMILTON's involvement with the broadcast will not, at least in any significant way, increase viewership. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#29Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 5/1/16 at 1:52pm

Wick3 said: "I don't really follow TV ratings but how did the Tonys do back in 2011 when Book of Mormon was *THE* show to watch? Or back in 2004 when Wicked was *THE* show to watch only to be upset by Avenue Q? 

If those years went well for TV ratings, then this year will probably do well too.
"

The 2004 Tony Awards was actually the lowest rated telecast at the time: http://www.broadway.com/buzz/93338/tony-telecast-receives-lowest-ratings-ever/

The ratings for the 2011 Tony Awards were at least decent: http://www.broadway.com/buzz/156753/competing-with-nba-finals-2011-tony-ratings-down-slightly/

Interesting enough, the highest rated telecasts in recent memory were held in 2009, 2013, and 2014.

aaaaaa15
#30Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 5/1/16 at 3:19pm

Jay94 said: "The young Hamilton fans you're talking about probably watch the Tony Awards every year anyway."

No, they're not all musical theatre fans. A lot of them just know Hamilton.