pixeltracker

Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness- Page 4

Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#75Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 9:29pm

bjh2114 said: "When was Beyonce even eligible in the same category as Jennifer for an Academy Award?"

To this day I don't understand how Jennifer Hudson was eligible for supporting actress when it really feels like Dreamgirls is Effie's story,

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

The Other One
#76Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/4/16 at 8:20am

NOWaWarning said: "I think her chances of a nomination diminished greatly with the announcement of her departure, frankly."

I don't think that had anything to do with it.  It's ballsy and admirable to make your stage debut on Broadway, but there are going to be better and/or more experienced actors all around you when you do so.  Personally I thought her performance was weak acting-wise, but she has done well for herself overall.  Who knows what will happen if she comes back with more experience.

And I didn't read her tweet as salty.  She isn't a very "salty" person, which may be why this role wasn't such a great fit for her.  I thought she was honestly and publicly processing her disappointment. I'm glad she pulled it.  She doesn't seem like a bitter woman and she has no reason to be.

Updated On: 5/5/16 at 08:20 AM

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#77Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/4/16 at 10:31am

I feel like Jennifer Hudson is being unfairly characterized in this thread. I don’t think she is/was angry or upset, or felt snubbed in any way. It seems more likely that she momentarily forgot that Twitter is not a ‘one-on-one’, private conversation. It also seems more likely to me that her response to @CrushedSounds’ tweet was meant to be humbly factual.

I think it’s important to look at the thread of tweets between @CrushedSounds and @IAMJHUD instead of isolating just this ONE tweet, taken out of context.

A couple of posts have raised the question, “Who is her tweet directed at?” It was directed at @CrushedSounds. It was her direct response to him, within a thread of tweets that began with his expression of disappointment that she did not get a Tony nomination. It was followed by another tweet from him expressing praise for her. She tweeted back that God had other plans for her. If you’re really interested, you can search @CrushedSounds Twitter account for the exact tweets.

Twitter is not private email. oops. …and she deleted the tweet.

When I take the time to try and read that singular tweet in Jennifer Hudson’s voice, I don’t find the anger or “saltiness” that others do. In interviews, she’s been vocal about how her Faith directs her life, and she also seems to be fairly direct (grounded) in her responses. See this portion of an interview as an example:

I think this thread is pulling one tweet out of context and projecting interpretations that were never intended to be there.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#78Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/4/16 at 10:34am

The Other One said: "And I didn't read her tweet as salty.  She isn't a very "salty" person, which may be why this role wasn't such a great fit for her.  I thought she was honestly and publicly processing her disappointment. I'm glad she pulled it.  She doesn't seem like a bitter woman and she has no reason to be."

You beat me to it. (...and much more succinctly!) smiley

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#79Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/4/16 at 11:16am

Her celebrity is based on her talent, so they are symbiotic. Her tweet actually didn't make sense to me. People are coming to see her because she is a popular singer and a wonderful one. She is also very spiritually enlightened since experiencing so many devastating losses. A Tony snub probably doesn't register much after the initial sting.

I think she does need to come to terms with the fact she is not a good actress.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#80Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/4/16 at 11:26am

I think Hudson has the talent to grow as an actress. The sky is the limit. She's already proven that with the right director, she can be the very best actress. But she's not trained that way, nor was it something she initially sought out to be. I think she loves it, and she took a risk coming to Broadway in the first place. A lot of "movie actors" wouldn't dare or just don't care. That says a lot about her discipline and her desire.

Jessica Lange, Farrah Fawcett, and Marilyn Monroe all gave wobbly to horrendous performances early in their career (check out Lange in King Kong if you doubt me---that's someone who should have never acted again!). But they all learned their craft and grew and in the end became damn good actresses.

Hudson could easily be one of them. Don't write her off so quickly. She's not lazy, just untrained. She takes more heat because she won a well-deserved Oscar her first time up at bat. That was a fluke, but it also showed her potential.

And let's not forget the role is important too. Shug Avery isn't really a Tony-winning role even if Hudson could have mined more out of it. It's no Effie.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#81Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/4/16 at 11:39am

Madonna is also the farthest thing from lazy and she can't act as hard as she has tried (and she has worked with the best coaches). I think Hudson could improve some, but I really don't think she has the gene. I've seen most of her performances and they are all similarly stilted. Either she does not take direction or is unable to synthesize what she is being told to do. Effie was her with some crafting by Condon.

I don't count her out, but I really don't expect much growth. Part of it is her elocution as well. I find it doesn;t support dramatic text well.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#82Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/4/16 at 2:04pm

best12bars said: "I think Hudson has the talent to grow as an actress. [...] That says a lot about her discipline and her desire.
-and-
Jessica Lange, Farrah Fawcett, and Marilyn Monroe all gave wobbly to horrendous performances early in their career (check out Lange in King Kong if you doubt me---that's someone who should have never acted again!). But they all learned their craft and grew and in the end became damn good actresses."

I think so, too (regarding how Hudson might grow in the future). I'm glad you mentioned Jessica Lange as an example. I remember how dismissive many of her King King reviews were. Part of the reason she stayed on my radar at all was because every time I (subsequently) saw her name in print, in my mind she was "that actress who got those horrible reviews". It wasn't until Tootsie that her critical reviews began to change for the better (well... that was the movie where I noticed a change, at any rate).

The Other One
#83Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/12/16 at 7:42am

Jessica and Jennifer have only one thing in common: they were already famous when they made their Broadway debuts, and as such had a bit of outsider status judgement to contend with.  It took a LONG time for Jessica to turn that around.  Perhaps Jennifer can do that as well.

But I do think their level of acting ability is not at all comparable.  Jennifer is a hell of a singer.  That's what she should focus on.  

King Kong did not bode well for Jessica, true, but it's a poor film overall and she performed most of her scenes opposite a mechanical ape hand in front of a blue screen.  

If anything, they are a study in contrasts.  Jennifer's iconic role in her first film, a well-made Broadway adaptation, made her look good.  Jessica's role in a poor remake of a Hollywood classic made her look bad.