News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for The Other One

Member Name: The Other One
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 11:51:22 AM

I am surprised by the lack of nominations for Jeremy Strong and An Enemy of the People.

PATRIOTS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 28 2024, 08:41:18 AM

Auggie27 said: "A movable set piece crashed moving downstage before Yeltsin’s appearance. Stuhlbarg handled it masterfully before the PSM called a halt. The resumed act one rewound to the very top of the scene before. The furniture was struck. My third recent experience with automation failure stopping a show. A Strange Loop stalled for over 20 minutes early on; Girl From the North Country in the final 15 minutes, necessitating a longer reprise. Today, it some

Purpose at Steppenwolf  Apr 25 2024, 07:59:17 AM

I saw this two nights before its official opening.  We were told in advance that Jenkins was still in the process of writing it and that we should expect scripts to be held and lines to be called for. Naz called for a line in his opening monologue, but never again.  The actors all sat down and held scripts for one long scene in Act Two, though no one was glued to their pages.  Harry Lennix was not involved in this scene. 

I felt that Act Two was a peeling away t

SUFFS Previews  Apr 13 2024, 09:10:12 AM

I did miss Phillipa Soo. She just has such an incredible stage presence. Hannah Cruz didn't fill the space the way Soo does, but she definitely found it for her big moments at the end of Act 1 and her big scene in Act 2."

Any idea why she did not go to Broadway with the show?  Is she working on something else?

Congestion pricing will destroy broadway  Mar 26 2024, 11:13:19 AM

Congestion pricing is a terrible idea -- the subways can barely accommodate all of the people who are riding them now -- but I don't think it will have much of an impact on Broadway, at least not single-handedly (there are already fewer people attending theatre now than before Covid).  I do, however, know a few musicians and techies who drive in from Westchester and don't want to worry about catching late night trains back home.  If you miss the one you want, you've got

Sex on stage  Mar 18 2024, 07:03:42 AM

Some of you are a little too comfortable with shaming. The OP never called for the plays to be closed for indecency. 

Sex on stage  Mar 17 2024, 08:20:51 AM

I'm not very comfortable with it either, Broadway Flash, but they can't exactly fade to black, can they?  (I usually just feel sorry for the actors involved.)

Bring Ryan Gosling to Broadway now!!  Mar 11 2024, 05:22:15 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "I’d love to see Gosling headline an Encores! production someday.

Meanwhile, let’s get Da’Vine Joy Randolph back on Broadway.

"

Maybe they can do something together?  

DOUBT 2024 Previews  Feb 20 2024, 06:29:08 AM

Something to consider when comparing the film version of Doubt to the play is that Shanley himself directed it, so the shift to a more obviously guilty Flynn is almost assuredly deliberate. 

That said, it worked far better on stage when Hughes, Jones and O'Byrne kept us on our toes.  The film simply did not have the charge of the original production.

The striking element in the current production's casting, which I have not yet seen, is the more imposi

DOUBT 2024 Previews  Feb 6 2024, 11:56:24 AM

bwayphreak234 said: "The more I think on this, the more I realize that 99.99% of my problems with this revival stem from the direction. The material is never allowed to shine - the stake are not high enough, there is not enough tension, and everything from the performances to the design just feels a little restrained and watered down. There's just no bite or spark here. I have had this same problem with several of Scott Ellis's productions - a lot of them jut feel so stagnant

What could bring Fantasia back to Bwy?  Feb 5 2024, 06:32:39 PM

An Uber?

DOUBT 2024 Previews  Feb 2 2024, 10:10:14 AM

"...Going to see this at Roundabout next week. Looking forward to seeing Tyne Daly's take on Sister Aloysius, but she's got some mighty big shoes to fill in order to surpass Ms. Jones's portrayal."

Tyne has the feet for them.

Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.  Feb 1 2024, 06:50:04 AM

Interesting.  Hamilton is arguably the least boring show I have ever seen and I've been going to the theater since 1966.

Broadway at the Oscars Quiz  Jan 28 2024, 09:45:38 PM

110/110. 

Lindsay Mendez in Merrily We Roll Along  Jan 27 2024, 04:01:03 PM

It's a well-known title, features a glorious score by Stephen Sondheim and co-stars Jonathon Groff and Daniel Radcliffe.  Does anyone think there's a stampede to the box office if Lindsay Mendez is not performing on a particular day?  I doubt it's happened once.

Question re Laura Benanti and MFL  Jan 21 2024, 09:41:09 AM

Laura's musical theatre no-how, how to act a song, go from speaking to singing, land a laugh without playing for it, were all impeccable, but her accents, both Cockney and proper, were not good at all.  

That doesn't answer your question, but I wonder if this would have been different had she had a full rehearsal process.  I give Lauren the edge here because of this.  I never saw their understudies.  (I did see Higgins', and Michael Halling was

I tried...  Jan 18 2024, 08:13:30 AM

I had planned on seeing it at a Regal Theatre near me today, but it seems as though Regal pulled it from its NY theaters a few days earlier than expected. Its box office pull died very quickly.

Poll: Best and Worst Hollywood-Broadway-Hollywood show?  Jan 14 2024, 09:27:53 PM

n/m

Tim Minchin on why Groundhog Day Failed in New York  Jan 9 2024, 11:57:51 AM

The score added nothing at all to the already complete story.  The book told the story as well as the film, perhaps even better, but the songs, particularly and most damagingly the lead character's songs, had no impact. I did think Karl was great, though, and I'm glad I saw the show.  

The Next Great Broadway Memoir?  Jan 2 2024, 09:13:38 PM

Hopefully someone who slept around and likes to talk.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You