pixeltracker

Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket

Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket

aaaaaa15
#2Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/10/16 at 6:07pm

Yeah I think it's a huge shame the Tonys aren't at RCMH this year of all years, I think a lot more members of the public would have been eager to buy tickets as well.

Some interesting/good news within that article: James Corden doing Carpool Karaoke with the nominees will be a lot of fun and Hamilton getting a nice healthy four minute segment in which they're doing a song(s?) that haven't been performed before (i.e. not the opening number).

However, it's Riedel so I'll take it all with a pinch of salt.

Updated On: 5/10/16 at 06:07 PM

gimlet2
#3Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/10/16 at 6:16pm

Isn't the awards show Sunday night on the 12th? The same issues might apply with rehearsal scheduling and sets but it's not exactly the same night.

playbill-love
#4Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/10/16 at 7:05pm

The Tonys are on the 12th, so Riedel mixed up the dates. But I think the problem lies in the fact that the Rockette show's set will surely be fully built and installed in RCMH by the date of the Tonys if they are starting performances 3 days later.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/10/16 at 7:08pm

Ah if they still had the Roxy.Or the Capitol or any of the other demolished theater in Times Square which were way big enough to handle the Tony's and other concerts.

Poster Emeritus

willep
#6Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/10/16 at 8:46pm

"He’s expected to do some fun Broadway carpool karaoke with nominees throughout the telecast."

Except I literally just finished listening to an interview where Corden was asked about doing carpool karaoke and, if it's up to him it won't be happening, and I liked his reasoning. The Tony awards broadcast is celebrating live theatre, and he wants the things happening to be live in the theatre, he doesn't want to leave the theatre for 8 minutes and have the audience there watching him on a screen.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#7Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/11/16 at 2:37am

"I want to be there this year to cheer on my friends at Hamilton, which I’ve been championing from the get-go. (Subtly, of course.) But even though I’m the most powerful Broadway columnist since Walter Winchell, I’m on the waiting list."

He's reading them, right?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#8Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/11/16 at 5:59am

I'm confused. The theater people who get invited have to pay $1,750 for a pair of tickets? Or did I read it wrong?

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#9Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/11/16 at 8:38am

Nominees don't pay, but all others pay $1,750 per ticket, limited to two tickets. 

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#10Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/11/16 at 9:08am

Nominees DO pay; at least the co-producers do. Anyone know whether other nominees besides co-producers pay?

neonlightsxo
#11Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/11/16 at 9:13am

I'm fairly certain the nominees don't pay.

JM226
#12Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/11/16 at 9:28am

Daddy Warbucks said: "Nominees DO pay; at least the co-producers do. Anyone know whether other nominees besides co-producers pay?

"

that's incorrect. nominees do NOT pay. they receive a total of two comps. that includes the LEAD producer of each production nominted (i.e. Fran & Barry Weissler). it is true, however, that any other producers and investors have to pay the full price and are limited to two tickets. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#13Riedel on Tony Awards being a tough ticket
Posted: 5/11/16 at 9:31am

I can see why this would be a headache if you're working on a show, but I'm thrilled the Tonys are at the Beacon this year. Radio City always feels too big for the performances, whereas the Beacon is a much better fit. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.