Shakespeare In The Park

ekline1 Profile Photo
ekline1
#1Shakespeare In The Park
Posted: 6/2/16 at 12:57am

I really want to see Shakespeare in the Park. What is the best way to get a ticket? According to the Public website there's a lottery over on Lafayette st or you can wait at the Delecorte. How early would I need to get there? Also how many enter the lottery on Lafayette? Which is a better option?

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#2Shakespeare In The Park
Posted: 6/2/16 at 3:42am

The stand by line is a good bet.  If you get there 4 hours before the show, that should be plenty early to get in.  

ekline1 Profile Photo
ekline1
#3Shakespeare In The Park
Posted: 6/2/16 at 8:44am

What if you accidentally oversleep? Is there a standby line?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#4Shakespeare In The Park
Posted: 6/2/16 at 9:19am

There is a standby line for every performance. It technically begins as soon as the last ticket is given out. The Public has staff in the park all day; they can tell you if tickets are still available, or if not, direct you to the standby line. 

Unlike the general distribution, in which everyone waiting is entitled to two tickets, the standby line is one ticket per person. So, if you need multiple tickets, everyone in your party has to be present. The staff begin monitoring the line at 6PM and tickets are handed out as they become available.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#5Shakespeare In The Park
Posted: 6/2/16 at 10:08am

I saw the show last Sunday and arrived at the Delacorte just a little after 7:00am and there were already over 200 people in line ahead of me. The wait until 12:00pm didn't feel quite as strenuous as I had expected, but when the staff spoke to my stretch of the line they pretty much implied that we were guaranteed tickets because of our proximity to the front. I've done the lotteries all summer for years and only got lucky once and the show wound up being rained out, so your best bet is to just show up at the Delacorte and either do the general line or try standby.

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

Videos