pixeltracker

Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island- Page 8

Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island

broadwayguy91
#175Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/30/16 at 10:29pm

The wavy red hair theory has been debunked as possibly being henna dye. And there could be a number of reasons why he was pale skinned - albinism being one possible cause.

And regardless of what ancient Egyptians looked like, shouldn't the casting be based on today's world? Meaning people of middle eastern and African descent should be cast , to reflect the world of today.

trpguyy
#176Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/30/16 at 11:23pm

broadwayguy91 said: "The wavy red hair theory has been debunked as possibly being henna dye. And there could be a number of reasons why he was pale skinned - albinism being one possible cause.

And regardless of what ancient Egyptians looked like, shouldn't the casting be based on today's world? Meaning people of middle eastern and African descent should be cast , to reflect the world of today.

"

Do you have a source for that? Everything I've seen and read has acknowledged the presence of red dye, as well as undyed red hair (beneath the surface of the scalp). 

Regardless, nobody knows what ancient Egyptians actually looked like. The (popular) idea that casting should be based on our perceptions of modern Egyptians has merit, but does it appease those calling for authentic casting?

Updated On: 7/30/16 at 11:23 PM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#177Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/31/16 at 12:22pm

theatregoer3 said: "hork said: "This whole discussion makes me uncomfortable. I've read all the arguments, and I still don't see why it matters what skin hues people giving a public reading of a script have (especially when no one knows what the accurate skin hues would be for these characters). But now we have no staged reading. There, happy now? This is why we can't have nice things."

I'm' sorry you feel inconvenienced. We're you planning on attending?

Also, may I ask why this subject makes you feel uncomfortable? You were comfortable enough to join in the discussion. I think you should ask yourself why this topic brings you discomfort. 

Why? I know exactly why it makes me uncomfortable. It's this fixation on skin tone, the way people tend to group people into "whites" and "others."

VintageSnarker
#178Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/31/16 at 11:40pm

hork said: " I've read all the arguments, and I still don't see why it matters what skin hues people giving a public reading of a script have (especially when no one knows what the accurate skin hues would be for these characters)."

Because they came out and said that diversity was a priority when casting and this was the best that they could do. Because in the absence of a definitive consensus on what the characters would have looked like, they went with not just a "white" cast but a white cast that probably wouldn't even make the cut for the Fiddler on the Roof revival.

sydney16
#179Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:57pm

I'm sorry to be off-topic but does anyone know if Bay Street Theater has a stage door? I don't know if that's a thing outside of NYC.

Updated On: 8/4/16 at 07:57 PM