pixeltracker

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?- Page 7

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#150Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 10/9/16 at 1:08pm

GreasedLightning said: "I'm really not a huge fan of this new trend of shows announcing their move into a home of a currently running show with no scheduled end. "Rialto Chatter" or not, it just doesn't seem right. "

I agree. If Kinky Boots had announced a closing already, then I understand the chatter of which theater Harry Potter play would get in.

Given the success of the play in West End, I have a feeling the play's producers will have its pick of whichever theater they want on Broadway.

broadwayguy91
#151Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 10/22/16 at 8:26am

I wonder if / when HP opens on Broadway, will it try and nab a performance slot on the Tony Awards? It would be the first straight play since Peter and the Starcatcher in 2012 that actually had a Tony telecast performance slot.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#152Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 10/22/16 at 8:29am

I'm sure the producers of the telecast would do everything in their power to get them to perform. They likely wouldn't have to try and "nab" anything. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#153Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 10/23/16 at 12:17am

Having seen the play in London, I'm not even sure which scene they'd televise if they do get a spot in the Tony Awards. It would be interesting to see.  I wonder if they will perform at the Olivier Awards.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#154Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 10/26/16 at 9:12am

Mister Matt said: "Personally, for Harry Potter fans, you definitely get your money's worth and more.  For those unfamiliar with Harry Potter, you'll be confused, but still entertained.  And if you are an addict to the point that you need a roomful of entirely new Harry Potter merchandise, you won't be disappointed by the merchandise.  Just note that the souvenir brochure is ONLY sold after the end of Part 2, so be prepared to wait in a long queue if you want one."

I know people have been talking about this play going to Broadway and I hope it does, but I actually think it may be *cheaper* to fly across the pond and see this in London. Let's face it that West End is cheaper right now than Broadway especially given the strong USD ($1=1.22GBP).

The premium tickets in NYC for sellout shows like Book of Mormon and Hamilton hover around $500. To see both parts sitting in a premium seat, it may very well cost the theater-goer $1000 total. 

Across the pond, premium seats at the Palace Theatre in West End cost 95GBP for each part, 190GBP total. Given today's exchange rate, that's $235. If you can get a flight through airline miles or a fare sale and couchsurf or stay with a friend who lives there, the entire trip may very well be less than $1000 out of pocket.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#155Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 10/26/16 at 11:54am

Personally, I haven't seen a round-trip flight to London for less than $1,000 in years and even when using miles, you still get charged outrageous fees and taxes.  I think my last flight using miles ended up costing about $400 per person just in taxes and fees.  Theatre tickets are MUCH more reasonably priced and even if you stay with friends (I did on my last trip), food and transportation still adds up very quickly.  You might be able to do the trip for $1,000, but only if you there for a couple of nights and only if you get really really lucky on travel and accommodations.  Generally, the best deals I've run across if you're looking for flights and hotels have been the packages offered directly through British Airways.  Based on standard round-trip fares (and if you're not too horribly picky), you can often find budget hotels for next to nothing.

I do wish we had the M&S food shops in the US.  The quality and pricing of what they offer is really outstanding.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Fosse76
#156Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
Posted: 10/26/16 at 12:33pm

While RT airfare to/from London isn't cheap, you can find it for less than $1000 (maybe not substantially less, but nonetheless cheaper). 

As for the play, cast salaries are significantly cheaper in the West End than on Broadway, so the show is more able to charge less for tickets. With a cast of 40, I imagine that the pricing structure seen at Hamilton or Book of Mormon is more likely for the Broadway transfer of this show.