pixeltracker

UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes

UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/7/16 at 10:32pm

Maybe it's a performance that needs to be seen. Not saying it's terrible by any means, but she isn't exactly a powerhouse vocalist and it's hard to forget Barbara's performance.  

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Whateverjsays
#2UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/7/16 at 10:36pm

I really wish Lea Michele hadn't passed on this when she was given the role when Ryan Murphy acquired the rights 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#3UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/7/16 at 10:40pm

qolbinau said: "Maybe it's a performance that needs to be seen."

Yes, it does need to be seen. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/7/16 at 10:58pm

I listened to it the other day and was thoroughly unimpressed. Sadly, I think this might be a show where no matter who plays the role, I'll always just wish it was Streisand. But Smith's performance (based on the disc) is not anything I'd ever say I'd need to see live.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#5UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/7/16 at 11:11pm

But the point is she acts the role excellently, even if her singing is nothing special. I haven't listening to the cast recording because I feel no need to hear her sing the score again, and yet she gave one of my favorite performances of the year. 

Ronald Scarlata
#6UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/7/16 at 11:27pm

Sheridan is a warm and vulnerable Fanny, but vocally can't compare with Streisand.  I also missed the yiddish comedian that the musical represents.  Also missing is a character arc; we don't see Fanny mature and harden with fame and a troubled marriage.  Still, I found Sheridan warm, loving and compelling. 

also 

aaaaaa15
#7UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/7/16 at 11:31pm

It's a shame they didn't record her alternate who has probably gone on more times than Sheridan and has a much better voice.

aaaaaa15
#8UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/7/16 at 11:36pm

The cast recording is on Spotify for anyone that hasn't listened and wishes to.

Laurapattifan Profile Photo
Laurapattifan
#9UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/7/16 at 11:46pm

aaaaaa15 said: "The cast recording is on Spotify for anyone that hasn't listened and wishes to.

"

I can't find it on Spotify how is it listed? 

aaaaaa15
#10UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/7/16 at 11:47pm

Oh sorry, it might just be UK Spotify!

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#11UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 1:01am

This recording makes me dream of a production with Jessie Mueller.  That would be too wonderful.

Sheridan sounds capable.  I'm sure she acts the part wonderfully, but she doesn't conjure up the memory of Fanny Brice for me.  I kind of think that she's miscast.

Btw Sheridan kind of sounds like Jane Krakowski on this recording.

Updated On: 8/8/16 at 01:01 AM

sparepart973
#12UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 4:22am

She's not that much better when seen. It's such a missed opportunity, this revival. So underwhelmingly designed and directed, with a below-par leading lady. The cast recording is a catastrophe. I can't wait for this to close and be replaced by the exciting Dreamgirls. 

Updated On: 8/8/16 at 04:22 AM

lightguy06222
#13UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 6:21am

^^^^^^^^^^^^ completely agreed!!

just as bad in person.

awful direction, awful design, and a truly mediocre leading lady.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#14UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 6:21am

Why can't I find it on iTunes? 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#15UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 6:30am

Color me unimpressed with this as well. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#16UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 6:54am

Yet the critics here gave her strong reviews. Yes she's an OK vocalist but she plays the part very well, especially the comedy.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#17UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 8:38am

I can't find it either...

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

binau Profile Photo
binau
#18UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 8:41am

I should clarify I'm listening it through Apple Music with an Australian subscription. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#19UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 9:56am

I'm glad she reminded someone else of Jane Krakowski! 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#20UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 11:12am

I like the orchestrations and I like that they included some material I hadn't heard before like "Temporary Arrangement" and "What Do Happy People Do?" though I'm not sure if those songs really add anything. I like Seridan's performance of the title "Funny Girl" song from the film but she just doesn't have the kind of voice that we're used to hearing sing this score. I don't think that's her fault exactly. She's just miscast. It's also possible that Barbra's shadow simply looms too large over this role for anyone to ever be able to effectively reinterpret it. For some reason it doesn't seem to be like Mamma Rose where each new actress is welcomed and lauded for her interpretation. The reaction to anyone else playing Fanny Bryce tends to always be "she's not Barbra" and I don't know if that will ever change.

Jordan Catalano
#21UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 11:37am

The role of Fanny is like the role of Audrey. Others can play them and some might even do a good job, but they will always be compared to the originals. And a large part of that has to do with the films being so iconic.

Diva_Dom Profile Photo
Diva_Dom
#22UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 11:39am

If anyone has the recording and would be willing to share it with me on drive I would greatly cherish it! 

Jordan Catalano
BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#24UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 11:48am

Glad U saw it but it was a cheap production on the order of tent and pole.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#25UK Funny Girl (Sheridan Smith) cast recording on iTunes
Posted: 8/8/16 at 3:57pm

That arrangement of "Music That Makes Me Dance" is criminal. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"