Pre/post show dinner and drinks

Saralou
#1Pre/post show dinner and drinks
Posted: 8/30/16 at 4:45pm

I tried to use the search feature and it either wasn't working right or there hasn't been a post about this in two years so I wanted to get some updated insights and opinions. If it's better suited to the off-topic boards, let me know.

Where do you usually go for dinner or drinks on the nights you see shows? Do you like to eat before or after? And do you make a reservation or feel that they're needed? Thanks!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2Pre/post show dinner and drinks
Posted: 8/30/16 at 4:53pm

If I go on a weeknight or a weekend evening show, I'll eat before the show. If I go to a weekend matinee with a friend, I do like to plan to go out afterwards. (If I go by myself I often just go home to Brooklyn.)

I don't have any go-to places for dinner; I usually just stroll up and down Ninth Avenue between 40th and 55th (ish) Street to see what strikes my fancy that day. For the post-matinee dinners, I like to go somewhere in another neighborhood and avoid any post-theater rush.

I don't think reservations are necessary, with possibly the exception of a pre-show dinner on a Saturday night. Most places can get you seated and served pretty quickly, and you can always let your server know that you have tickets to a show if you're concerned about time. Restaurants around the Theater District know all about getting people wined and dined before curtain time.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Relevance81491
#3Pre/post show dinner and drinks
Posted: 8/30/16 at 5:06pm

Depending on the run time of the show  when I go I usually do a pre-show dinner and drinks afterwords. I would strongly encourage reservations for dinner  

Gabriel Kuether (GREAT views of Bryant Park with a good bar that dosen't take reservations)

Esca (for a pre show dinner)

estiatoro Milos (pre-show dinner) 

the Campbell Apartment (cool bar with good cocktails) 

Nomad (good for after dinner drinks close to Penn Station if you or your companion are heading back to Long Island or NJ. Great food menu) 

The Modern (bar room is fun for pre-show. Great desert menu and wine list for post show) 

44&X (pre show dinner at reasonable prices) 

Saralou
#4Pre/post show dinner and drinks
Posted: 8/30/16 at 5:13pm

Thank you both for the suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to give thoughtful responses. :)

Relevance81491
#5Pre/post show dinner and drinks
Posted: 8/30/16 at 5:15pm

Indian Accent is the new restaurant in the le parker meridien and is a great choice for a pre show dinner or post show drinks. Sit on the patio and order ala cart