pixeltracker

Aladdin - Live Action Remake- Page 3

Aladdin - Live Action Remake

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#50Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/6/17 at 6:25pm

To me, an all-poc cast is pretty important nowadays, because it defies standards. There's nothing wrong with white people in movies or musicals or plays; but the fact is that poc are less represented than white men and women. Even with successful Black, Asian, Hispanic, Naitive, etc. actors out there, a lot of content goes specially to white or white-passing people. Any percentage of poc is welcome, but a cast that's full of us shows how people of color can be successful in film, theatre, and the like. Racism is not being ok with that, similar to some people on this board. To take it one step further, Nazism has similar anti-poc morals ^^. Anyways, I feel like Billy will probably be a villain of some sort. It just feels like bad writing. Why do we need a new character again? The movie was fine as it was.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#51Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 5:41am

PatrickDC said: "Would a Swedish prince actually have traveled all the way to Persia in the days of Aladdin to woo a princess? I'm no world history major but I think not. Certainly there were arranged marriages across borders and cultures, but Sweden to "Agraba" seems like a stretch. Does Hollywood think that a 100% cast of actors appropriate to the setting can't succeed? My concern in this age of political correctness, Black Lives Matter,and the white man being blamed for all that's evil, is that Billy's role will have devious intentions, i.e., the big bad white guy seeking fortunes and power over love, that he'll be cast as an additional villain to Jafar."

Yes, it will be interesting to see what his role is going to be.

MovieInMyMind2
#52Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 6:11am

Guys, guys. Also, let's not forget that Aladdin is set in a fictional place. While it is loosely based off of 1001 Arabian Nights, Agrabah is fictional. Better yet, the palace of Agrabah looks like it was heavily inspired by the Taj Mahal, which happens to actually be located in Agra, India.

For cultural correctness, they could get an Arab or Indian person to play the role, but, the fact still remains that this is a fairytale based in a fictional place. We don't have magic carpets, or genies, or any of that in this universe. Fairytales are set in an alternate universe, where the same laws of logic and realism don't apply like they do here.

However, all of that aside, light skin is not at all uncommon in the middle east or India. People are saying it's "whitewashing" to have a white person play an ethnic role as though pale skin is only a trait that Europeans and westerners have. Pale skin is not at all unusual in either the middle east or in India. Furthermore, it sure as hell isn't unusual in Agrabah... a fictional place, that doesn't even exist.

Can we seriously just stop with the double standards?

I'm pretty sure that even if the movie had a 99% POC cast, people would still be so easily offended over that 1% that's not. And yes, it is racist to say that a white person cannot play a certain role.

Once again, I bring up my argument.

If they cast an African-American to play Aaron Burr in Hamilton, who was white in REAL LIFE, then surely you all can overlook them casting a white man to play a FICTIONAL character set in the FICTIONAL land of Agrabah, that doesn't even exist.

Do some of you not see the double standards?

"A white person cannot play (insert role here)" - why not?

Because... double standards.... right? 

Updated On: 9/7/17 at 06:11 AM

TrChSpHa
#53Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 7:59am

Nah.

It'll become a double standard when the playing field in film, television, and theatre is level. It's not. They didn't have to write a brand new role just so they could cast a white actor in it. It seems like anytime people of color have a chance to feel 100% represented in telling their stories, white people still have to find a way to make sure they're included as well, when we still have to fight for it to be the other way around.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#54Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 3:55pm

Itonlytakesajourney said: " a cast that's full of us shows how people of color can be successful in film, theatre, and the like. Racism is not being ok with that, similar to some people on this board."

What are you talking about? A 95% poc cast does not do that? Demanding a 100% poc cast just for the sake of it does not mean more success. That's racism. If you can't accept a story line ina  fictional world you have serious issues.

Itonlytakesajourney said: " take it one step further, Nazism has similar anti-poc morals"

Nazism actually has your morals. A strong race focus and demandig things for certain races. To level out their favourite race to their taste. That's not how it works.

Updated On: 9/7/17 at 03:55 PM

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#55Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 3:59pm

Dave28282 said: "Itonlytakesajourney said: "a cast that's full of us shows how people of color can be successful in film, theatre, and the like. Racism is not being ok with that, similar to some people on this board."

What are you talking about? A 95% poc cast does not do that? Demanding a 100% poc cast just for the sake of it is does not mean more success. That's racism.If you can't accept a story line ina fictional world you have serious issues.

Itonlytakesajourney said: " take it one step further, Nazism has similar anti-poc morals"

Nazism actually has your morals. A strong race focus and demandig things for certain races. To level out their favourite race to their taste. That's not how it works.

Why do you keep coming back to this thread? I've posted here like three times before this (2/3 not referring to you) while your racist, Nazi self keeps coming back here to lecture us. You have "serious issues" Dave. All the best heart

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#56Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 4:04pm

dave is a racist troll everyone should know this by now he's been doing it for years

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#57Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 4:07pm

TrChSpHa said: "It'll become a double standard when the playing field in film, television, and theatre is level. It's not. "

What is level in your opinion? Because we are talking about a 95% poc cast here and only 12 % of the population is African American for example, and the percentage of African American actors in 99,9% of the movies is much higher than that nowadays, let's say 1 in 8, even higher in theatre, but nearly never below level. Double standards come from measuring with 2 sizes. And that's what's happening. 

TrChSpHa said: "They didn't have to write a brand new role just so they could cast a white actor in it."

If you think in equality, in human instead of race it also should not matter.

Updated On: 9/7/17 at 04:07 PM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#58Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 4:10pm

Itonlytakesajourney and Gypsy,

How is your attitude working out for you? Is this total race focus in every situation bringing people together?

Updated On: 9/7/17 at 04:10 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#59Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 4:21pm

you are a moron for thinking no piece of film or television or stage should ever include more than your ridiculous percentages of each race that is in this country. if a story takes place in some middle-eastern kingdom why is it so hard for the characters to be played by actors of at least semi-accurate ethnicity. why do you make excuses for racist producers and casting decisions? why did Billy Eichner need to be in this remake of Aladdin? being racially accurate isn't as hard as Hollywood thinks it is.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#60Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 4:27pm

gypsy101 said: "you are a moron for thinking no piece of film or television or stage should ever include more than your ridiculous percentages of each race that is in this country."

You are twisting things. I'm not the one bringing it up or complaining about it. I'm just calling out the complainer and show him how untrue his complaint is.

Updated On: 9/7/17 at 04:27 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#61Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 4:28pm

Although a fictitious land, Agrabah was built as a world in which it's inhabited by brown people. It's not exactly unreasonable to cast this movie with a 100% POC cast. Even an outsider to the kingdom can be brown because that's the world Disney has created for the original film. This casting is absolutely tone deaf in my opinion. Also, it's not taking away roles from white actors; it's creating roles for actors of color, which is very much needed.

MovieInMyMind2
#62Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 4:28pm

Hey, if everyone made an issue about casting choices, people wouldn't shut up. Ever. 

Why not go even broader than just race? I am a Ukrainian-Russian person. Do you know how many times I see them cast Americans to play Russian roles in TV shows and movies who BUTCHER the Russian language SO badly that I absolutely cringe when hearing it? Russia being the biggest country in the world, I think: "Could they not find native speakers to do this?!" - And it's everything from major film roles to small roles in TV shows such as NCIS, Law and Order, and other shows of a similar nature. 

You'd be amazed at how often I notice this, as a native speaker. Basically, all my life, I've seen the Russian language bastardized in major movie roles and in TV shows. But you know what? I don't really care because it doesn't affect my life.

It's not all about race, you see. All my life, I've seen my language butchered all over Hollywood and television because out of millions of Russian people floating around, they choose Americans to do the roles and completely butcher everything they're saying.

And you know what? I am OKAY with it and have accepted the fact that 99% of the time, they butcher it by not casting native speakers.

I'm pretty sure that some of ya'll can be okay with the fact that they cast a white person to play a FICTIONAL role in the FICTIONAL land of Agrabah.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#63Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 4:31pm

HeyMrMusic said: "it's creating roles for actors of color, which is very much needed."

Just like the whole village in BATB turned African American. All fine, nobody complains. But then please stand by your standards and don't hyperventilate when you see 1 white role somewhere in a 95% poc cast.

Double standards are the root of inequality.

And no, it's not justified by this unhealthy game of excluding a certain race because you feel like it has been done to your ancestors too, a sick way of repeating history, but this time the other way around, trying to get even, still not wanting diversity, but strictly separation. That's not the solution. It's what maintains the problem.

Updated On: 9/7/17 at 04:31 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#64Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 4:52pm

It's not a double standard when that movie created a world where there are people of every color in their fictional world.

Let's also not pretend people don't freak out when a POC is cast in a role not specified by race but would typically be played by a white person.

Try one day as a person of color in the entertainment industry. Your eyes will be wide open to the inequalities in the business. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#65Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 4:57pm

Let's look at it this way. If there were a live action version of Moana, a movie that celebrates being a Pacific Islander while taking place on a fictional island, it would be off-putting to add a new character on the island played by a white man. 

trpguyy
#66Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 5:13pm

As long as they cast an actual blue person to play the Genie, I'm ok with it. 

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#67Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 5:20pm

trpguyy said: "As long as they cast an actual blue person to play the Genie, I'm ok with it."

Giving a new meaning to "Blue Lives Matter"

MovieInMyMind2
#68Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 5:52pm

For those arguing that "Double standards only exist because the playing field isn't level and white people get more roles, therefore, the double standards will stop existing when the playing field is leveled" - anyone who thinks this is LITERALLY saying that they support the very actions and the discrimination that they themselves are standing up against. If you truly feel that way, then, you are not fighting for a positive change. You think that you are supporting a good cause, but, you are actually supporting the very thing that you hate and are fighting so hard against so much - discrimination.

Even feminism originally started out as women wanting to be equals with men. That was then. Now? Feminism has turned into a circus where women like Zarna Joshi scream about a privileged white male assaulting her because some guy made a bad dad joke and called himself Hugh Mungus.

Where does it end?

It ends with double standards ending. Have you not noticed that yes, they are casting more African-American people in roles? On Broadway, on TV, and in movies. They are also casting many more LGBT actors and are bringing awareness to LGBT issues. Diversity IS happening. It doesn't have to be enforced with a fierceness. Rome wasn't built in a day. Diversity is rapidly happening and it's a GOOD thing, but, we have to just keep going forward. We cannot look back and start discriminating against white people just because casting agents cast them in a majority of roles over the last few decades vs POC. If you should be mad at anyone, be mad at the casting departments. But diversity IS happening, now.

But if double standards continue, and if backlash happens if there's a 5% white cast / 95% POC cast (in a movie, show, production, etc), then, wanting something to be 100% the way you want it just makes you a purist. You know who else was a purist? Hitler. 

No, I'm not comparing anyone on this board to Hitler. But as I said, diversity is happening, but, we'll only go backwards if the discrimination shifts to another race of people. If double standards persist, then, we'll all just go backwards. Progression + double standards of ANY KIND = do not mix.

It is just a fact that double standards are bad and they hinder our progression as a society. There are literally two major hurricanes out there that are killing people, a huge portion of the country is on fire due to wildfires, and there are SO many issues going on in this world that are so exponentially bigger and more dire than this, yet, I cannot believe that some of you are so offended, angry, and are even resorting to calling people on this thread "morons" and belittling people who are only giving a different viewpoint and are showing their own side of the argument.

Of all the horrible, tragic, and heartbreaking issues going on in the world, this is what it's come to? People arguing because a white person was cast to play in a fictional role that is set in a fictional place, that isn't even real, and doesn't even exist in our reality?

Updated On: 9/7/17 at 05:52 PM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#69Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 6:17pm

MovieInMyMind2 said: "But if double standards continue, and if backlash happens if there's a 5% white cast / 95% POC cast (in a movie, show, production, etc), then, wanting something to be 100% the way you want it just makes you a purist. You know who else was a purist? Hitler.

It is just a fact that double standards are bad and they hinder our progression as a society. 

Of all the horrible, tragic, and heartbreaking issues going on in the world, this is what it's come to? People arguing because a white person was cast to play in a fictional role that is set in a fictional place, that isn't even real, and doesn't even exist in our reality?
"

Very well said! They must think "well, we have the right to behave like Hitler, because we must get even. People will see us as extra human this way".

Updated On: 9/7/17 at 06:17 PM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#70Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/7/17 at 6:20pm

MovieInMyMind2 said: "Why not go even broader than just race? "

Because some people think only in race. The core of the problem.

Videos