pixeltracker

Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?

Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?

milesk
#1Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/7/16 at 7:11pm

Hello everyone!

I'll be back in NY after and 10-year absence. I used to go to the theater all the time and used discount codes from Broadway Box. There was always a big selection of codes and they were fantastic! TKTS-like discounts that you could get online in advance.

Now that I'm back trying to look for these codes I can't find them anywhere. The discounts are not as substantial as they used to be and the selection seems to be very limited.

Am I looking in the wrong place or they just don't exist anymore?

All help would be greatly appreciated!

Hairspray0901
#2Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/7/16 at 7:37pm

Discount codes exist but with ticket prices (and everything else for that matter) being more expensive, the discounts are not as great as they used to be!

On the Broadway box homepage there are discounts: 

http://www.broadwaybox.com

and on theater mania: http://theatermania.com/broadway/discount-tickets/

mcsquared
#3Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/7/16 at 8:25pm

Show-score.com  usually has a compilation of all the different sites that have discounts for each show to see which one is better.

Today Tix app (referral code ZUFPX for $10 off) and Goldstar to a lesser extent also have discounts.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#4Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/7/16 at 9:49pm

Discounts also on Playbill.com 

mcsquared
#6Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/7/16 at 10:46pm

Oh and those people dressed up in the musical costumes around Times Square give out fliers with discounts too sometimes--got a good one for waitress the other day.

neonlightsxo
#7Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/8/16 at 9:10am

The same place you found them "of yore"- BroadwayBox.com

milesk
#8Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/8/16 at 11:54am

Thanks so much for your replies!!!

I'm guessing theater prices have rocketed since I last was there, that's why it is so expensive, even with discount codes.

I'm traveling Dec. 26 - 29. Am I better off buying them online at a higher price? Should I get on the tkts line, since according to the listings on their webpage they're 50 off% ? How much time should I expect to spend on that line?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#9Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/8/16 at 12:36pm

Well, you are coming when most shows do great business and will most likely not be offering discounts. So, if you're going to a show that will likely sell out, best to get your ticket ASAP. For shows that may not have discounts and may not still sell out, then you'll be in the TKTS line, most likely.

Pay close attention to the discounts, though, especially the fine print. Many discounts may have December availability, but you sometimes have to buy them by a specific date way earlier than that, like this month.

mcsquared
#10Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/8/16 at 12:37pm

milesk said: "Thanks so much for your replies!!!
I'm traveling Dec. 26 - 29. Am I better off buying them online at a higher price? Should I get on the tkts line, since according to the listings on their webpage they're 50 off% ? How much time should I expect to spend on that line?
"

Well it's 50% off the most expensive non-premium price and some are only 30 or 40% off so the cheaper tickets wouldn't be the ones on sale there. Lines are typically long though I think the plays only line is shorter.

On the tkts app, you can look up the range of prices and see how big the discounts are for the plays you want to see to do the math if it would be worth it.

I think many discount codes have blackout dates so if you go to the sites we have mentioned it should say whether those codes are available on those dates.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#11Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/8/16 at 12:48pm

As for real discounts of yore, though, I'd try the Internet Wayback Machine at archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070321025413/http://www.broadwaybox.com/shows/beauty_and_the_beast_nyc_tickets.aspx

10086sunset
#12Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/8/16 at 12:49pm

At the time of year you will be traveling, I would buy the tickets in advance...

neonlightsxo
#13Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/8/16 at 2:01pm

Lots of discount codes are blacked out during those dates, I imagine. That's the busiest week of the year.

milesk
#14Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/9/16 at 1:16pm

Busiest week of the year?

Yikes.

I really need to plan.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Do you guys have any idea how long it would take me to go through the TKTS line?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#15Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/9/16 at 1:53pm

milesk said: "Do you guys have any idea how long it would take me to go through the TKTS line?"

For what shows? The ones you want to see may not even turn up there....

mcsquared
#16Discount codes of yore - Where to find them?
Posted: 11/21/16 at 10:57pm

Just checked TodayTix app and they are having pre-sale through December 9 for shows December 20-Jan 1

Looked like some good deals on there...

Videos