Sunset Boulevard

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#26Help me decide what to see
Posted: 4/16/17 at 3:06pm

While there are those who adore Comet ( and I have no Idea why) there are many of us who found it a collosal bore. There is no story to follow. It is uninvolving.

Yes the set is gorgeous. The cast is exuberant. The interactive theatre device is used well  but what is on stage in unfollowable and unintelligible.I  would urge you not to go if you have no patience for plots you can't follow. The couple next to us walked out. It was one of the worst nights of theatre I have had to sit through.

For old fashioned type Broadway, with hummable music and interesting plots try Bandstand or War Paint.

Updated On: 4/16/17 at 03:06 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27Help me decide what to see
Posted: 4/16/17 at 3:11pm

Funny, I followed the story just fine, so did my kids, as well as anyone that I personally know that went to see it - although, not every one liked it.  (I had one friend dislike it intensely.).  And just like every other show, it's not for everyone.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SkylarElizabeth
#29Help me decide what to see
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:27pm

goldenboy said: "While there are those who adore Comet ( and I have no Idea why) there are many of us who found it a collosal bore. There is no story to follow. It is uninvolving.

Yes the set is gorgeous. The cast is exuberant. The interactive theatre device is used well  but what is on stage in unfollowable and unintelligible.I  would urge you not to go if you have no patience for plots you can't follow. The couple next to us walked out. It was one of the worst nights of theatre I have had to sit through.

"

Not to be rude, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean that other people can't and don't have reason to enjoy it.  As far as the story goes, they use an entire song to explain the characters, and even tell you that its "a complicated Russian novel".  Maybe another reason you didn't understand the plot was because you didn't like it enough to pay attention.  Not saying that its anyones fault, but when people don't like things they seem to block it out.  

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#30Help me decide what to see
Posted: 4/20/17 at 2:28am

I'll throw in a vote for Bandstand. I adored it at Paper Mill and can't wait to see it again and see how they further impoved it.

It's much more of a feel-good show than Sunset. While it deals with heavy themes, it does so with joy and positivety. And of course the music quite literally swings Help me decide what to see

I see why people pick Sunset and looking forward to that as well, but Bandstand is clearly  priority for me.