THE PRICE Previews

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#25THE PRICE Previews
Posted: 2/21/17 at 11:57pm

Overall I liked it, but the second act was a bit too long.    Danny DeVito stole the show in spite of a spotty accent.  He's just so funny which is very welcome in a somewhat depressing play.  Mark Ruffalo was on stage for the entire thing, so I'll excuse him for the few line flubs, but he has a tendency to mumble which needs to be corrected (it's only in spots - like DeVito's accent).  Tony Shaloub was fine but nothing special.  Jessica Hecht's performance was my favorite.  She doesn't always get the credit she deserves, in my opinion.

The set was interesting with the pieces for sale all around, and more set pieces upside down on the ceiling.  I'd like to get people's take on the symbolism of this.  

The first act flew by with Ruffalo and DeVito going back and forth, but the play turned on its head (symbolism of the set?) when the brother appears in the second act.  And not in a great way.  I know gloom is Miller's "thing," but I felt like there were unanswered questions.  Why are the wife and brother referred to individually as "mysterious"?  Are we to infer something could be going on between them?  **SPOILER** Did Solomon (I think that's his name) die at the end?  He gets what he wanted, his age is referred to many times, and he plays the laughter at the end while he lies contendedly with a white light shining on him.  Or is he just happy that he got his deal? **END SPOILER**

Good play, but not a great one.  Interested to hear everyone else's takes.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#26THE PRICE Previews
Posted: 2/24/17 at 5:14pm

Can anyone provide information about rushing for this show? I'm interested in seeing it this weekend while I'm still in NY.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#27THE PRICE Previews
Posted: 3/3/17 at 9:04am

Overall I found this to be a disappointment. It's not Miller's best work, and the second act was too long. I was fighting to stay awake at various points! The set and the direction didn't work for me either. The performances are a mixed bag. Danny DeVito fares the best but has the showiest role (he should just ditch the accent because it was too inconsistent.) Mark Ruffalo started off completely incomprehensible (whatever accent he's trying to accomplish should go too) but got better as the play went on but he was still stumbling over his lines throughout the night. Hecht and Shaloub are fine but I've seen better from both of them.

I do have a question for anyone more familiar with the play. The first act was very comedic, to the point where the shift in tone to something serious in act two was pretty jarring. Is the first act always played for that many laughs?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
Updated On: 3/3/17 at 09:04 AM

jbird5
#28THE PRICE Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 7:18am

I liked it maybe due to the diminished expectations. It does drag a bit especially in the second act and when Devito is not on stage. I thought the whole cast was good. I think Ruffalo's accent distinguishes him from his more successful brother and makes it more poignant. Jessica Hecht seems perfect for her role as does Shaloub.Devito hams it up as expected. I sat in the front of the orchestra box. There is a light stand there and you can't see what is happening at the extreme side you are on but otherwise it's a great view and a bargain. There's plenty of room if you are a larger person, but the seats are a bit uncomfortable for a near three hour sitting.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#29THE PRICE Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 5:08pm

I thought this was a bore, through and through.  The night I went, every single actor had trouble remembering their lines.  Each of them must have stumbled over at least ten lines throughout the night. I didn't like any of the performances - not even Tony Shalhoub, who I usually love.  DeVito's accent is...something else.  Hecht is doing the same thing we've seen her done a million times and Ruffalo came across as so incredibly bland and unenthused, barely mumbling his lines for 2.5 hours straight.

Another Roundabout snooze - although, next to THE CHERRY ORCHARD, this is a masterpiece of a production.  So I guess there's that...

broadwaygirl89
#30THE PRICE Previews
Posted: 4/10/17 at 11:40pm

Haven't quite been able to find information on rush tickets for these - has anyone rushed and been successful? What time did you get to the theater?

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#31THE PRICE Previews
Posted: 4/11/17 at 12:33am

DramaTeach said: "*SPOILER** Did Solomon (I think that's his name) die at the end?  He gets what he wanted, his age is referred to many times, and he plays the laughter at the end while he lies contendedly with a white light shining on him.  Or is he just happy that he got his deal? **END SPOILER**"

I don't think that's the intent of the ending at all. I think Kinney makes us "see" the father for the first time by having the elderly Soloman slump down in Victor and Walter's dad's arm chair. He's laughing a) because he ultimately got his way with Victor and b) to emulate Victor's father's laugh that has haunted him, though that's just my conjecture. I thought it was a striking image with which to end the production!

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#32THE PRICE Previews
Posted: 4/11/17 at 8:41am

PianoMann said: "DramaTeach said: "*SPOILER** Did Solomon (I think that's his name) die at the end?  He gets what he wanted, his age is referred to many times, and he plays the laughter at the end while he lies contendedly with a white light shining on him.  Or is he just happy that he got his deal? **END SPOILER**"

I don't think that's the intent of the ending at all. I think Kinney makes us "see" the father for the first time by having the elderly Soloman slump down in Victor and Walter's dad's arm chair. He's laughing a) because he ultimately got his way with Victor and b) to emulate Victor's father's laugh that has haunted him, though that's just my conjecture. I thought it was a striking image with which to end the production!

^^ Thanks for the response.

"

Videos