#25Strategy
Posted: 2/19/17 at 9:53am

CLINTON 2020

Stephanatic

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#26Strategy
Posted: 2/26/17 at 4:18pm

Ramesh Ponnuru from Bloomberg on Meet The Press after a rambling about how we're screwed in every aspect of nationwide governance.

"The Democrats have two things going for them, Trump, and the absence of Hillary Clinton."

Stephanatic

javero Profile Photo
javero
#27Strategy
Posted: 2/28/17 at 12:21am

VA Governor & Clintonite Terry McAuliffe is making moves!

With a decent running mate, McAuliffe could consolidate a block of mid-Atlantic states plus Florida and their all-important electors.  I'm not certain yet how well he'd be received in the Rust Belt.  Much of that arguably depends on whether Trump can stem the tide of emigration of manufacturing jobs.  It's early still, but I suspect that his odds would improve if the GOP flubs the replacement of ACA.  Even this early in the race, I'm marking him as frontrunner on the Dem side.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

South Florida
#28Strategy
Posted: 2/28/17 at 5:24pm

I don't know if this is a good strategy.  After watching Trump win I know I know nothing. I thought that the failure of Hillary, again, would cause the end of the skank era of the Democratic party.  Apparently the brass dosen't fully get the problem. 

Stephanatic

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#29Strategy
Posted: 2/28/17 at 5:26pm

SF History teaches us that absolute power absolutely corrupts. it is rare that power steps down without a fight

When They Go Low, I Go High

South Florida
#30Strategy
Posted: 2/28/17 at 5:31pm

Hedwig?

Stephanatic

javero Profile Photo
javero
#31Strategy
Posted: 2/28/17 at 6:14pm

It's painful watching the Dems going about their soul searching in plain view.  What shakes out is anyone's guess.  Shift too much to the left, you risk losing the purple states for several more election cycles.  Move too far right of center, you become Republican-lite and alienate your under-30 voter base.

The Dems need to keep VA and flip NC, PA, and OH by hook or crook.  There' s no guarantee that FL will come around despite changing demographics.  IMHO McAuliffe is your best shot at Virginia & NC.  The Commonwealth has 2 Democratic US Senators which is not something to take for granted.  Right over the border in my childhood state of NC, there are 2 Republican US Senators, but the state is undergoing an identity crisis.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#32Strategy
Posted: 2/28/17 at 6:17pm

I thought that the failure of Hillary, again, would cause the end of the skank era of the Democratic party.  Apparently the brass dosen't fully get the problem.

The problem is people like you.  Ill-informed, half baked political non-thought, reactionary, and with a bellicosity unearned by your low rhetorical abilities.

Oh, segne deine Herzen

South Florida
#33Strategy
Posted: 2/28/17 at 7:21pm

That's why I hazard to get into a political discussion with you.  Your'e way too smart

Stephanatic

South Florida
#34Strategy
Posted: 2/28/17 at 7:27pm

You think you're going to get away with another Clinton in 2020?  You losers make me laugh.

Stephanatic

Petralicious
#35Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 10:17am

WTF???  the old retired white grand papa they chose to represent the Democratic party in rebuttal Trumps speech last night proves they have no idea what they are doing. So Embarrassing.

“I’m a proud Democrat, but first and foremost, I’m a proud Republican, and Democrat, and mostly, American,” former Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear said in a telecast from a diner in his home state.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#36Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 10:33am

I felt truly embarrassed for my Democratic friends watching Beshear last night. That's the best the party can drum up?

Updated On: 3/1/17 at 10:33 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#37Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 10:48am

It was done because he's a Democrat in a red state that has had great success with Obamacare (since dismantled by their idiotic new governor). It was a move to appear "folksy" to the idiots who are about to lose their healthcare because they voted for the Fuhrer, and who complain about the Democratic party being too "elitist." 

If that wasn't clear to you, then you're daft. 

Petralicious
#38Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 11:03am

By saying first and foremost he is a proud Republican?

Was not clear to Stephen Colbert either, who mocked him last night. 

So the futureof the party is an old retired white guy.  Splendid

Updated On: 3/1/17 at 11:03 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#39Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 11:30am

Read the entire quote, you idiot. 

Petralicious
#40Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 11:39am

You can name call and cheapen yourself all you want.  I will rise above and turn the other cheek.

This slot is traditionally taken by a rising star of the party.  Not a retired Andy Griffin understudy. This shows people there is none.  Plus I think his message was lost when we said first and foremost I am a proud Republican, while sitting in a diner with a bunch of Zombies staring at him. 

Updated On: 3/1/17 at 11:39 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#41Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 11:53am

THAT'S NOT WHAT HE SAID. 

Watch your own clip. He said, "I’m a proud Democrat, but first and foremost, I’m a proud Republican, and Democrat, and mostly, American." 

You're fond of bold text, so I went ahead and bolded what he said first just so it's clear to you.  I couldn't find an appropriate infographic, or I'd have included one of those because you're also fond of them.  

The second sentence (which comes AFTER the first, so again, it's not the first thing he said), that you seem to take issue with is where he says he's both a Republican and a Democrat, because he's an American.  I'm not sure why this meaning is so difficult for you to grasp. 

BroadwayConcierge
#42Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 12:44pm

I mean, I would hope that there are some other people in the Democratic Party who could convey the message you believe was intended, adamgreer, than a 72-year-old retired governor whose seat was taken thereafter by a Republican... Come on, from a very basic optics perspective, you have to admit it's a pretty sad sight to see.

Also, if you choose to respond to this post, I'm curious to see if you can abstain from the word "idiot." 

BroadwayConcierge
#43Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 12:45pm

Also, adamgreer, he very literally did say the words, "first and foremost, I’m a proud Republican." That is utterly verbatim.

Petralicious
#44Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 1:50pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Also, adamgreer, he very literally did say the words, "first and foremost, I’m a proud Republican." That is utterly verbatim.

"It seems his constant outrage has affected his reading! :)

Updated On: 3/1/17 at 01:50 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#45Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 2:10pm

WTF???  the old retired white grand papa they chose to represent the Democratic party in rebuttal Trumps speech last night proves they have no idea what they are doing. So Embarrassing.

“I’m a proud Democrat, but first and foremost, I’m a proud Republican, and Democrat, and mostly, American,” former Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear said in a telecast from a diner in his home state.

I listened to the entire speech rather than just the one sentence out of context and it made sense to me.  He is clearly speaking not only on behalf of Democrats, but also from the perspective of one of the likely constituents of his state, a Republican that voted for Captain Creamsicle based on his campaign, which is actually quite smart.  It proves they know exactly what they are doing, which is not embarrassing or confusing if you follow along.  

This slot is traditionally taken by a rising star of the party.  Not a retired Andy Griffin understudy. This shows people there is none. 

Well, it shows you an opportunity to make assumptions based on your view of "tradition", which is allegedly being tossed aside by the right (aka the "Populist" experiment) as they embrace their new procedures through this farcical transition.  So, the expectation of fulfilling tradition is...what, exactly?  Not that it matters, because your expectation of who should speak and why as well as the interpretation of the speaker in this regard is entirely irrelevant.  

From an "optics perspective", it appears to me to be a brilliant move NOT to have a younger "rising star" Democrat (that would be even more aggressively attacked by the right) currently in power that appears to be "elitist" or representing only a young, liberal, Northern, wealthy, and whatever negative leftist stereotype the right would apply to a Democrat attempting to speak in response to a Republican president.  So instead, the response from you is to focus on a sentence that sounds confusing out of context and pretend the man said nothing else, choosing not to address the material substance of his response.  

Plus I think his message was lost when we said first and foremost I am a proud Republican, while sitting in a diner with a bunch of Zombies staring at him.

It was certainly lost on you.  That really doesn't mean very much.

Also, if you choose to respond to this post, I'm curious to see if you can abstain from the word "idiot."

Well, I certainly don't have to use it.  I have the capacity to understand an entire speech without getting confused.  I also didn't use any ageist remarks to insult the man.  Embarrassing.  Sad.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#46Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 2:27pm

Petralicious said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Also, adamgreer, he very literally did say the words, "first and foremost, I’m a proud Republican." That is utterly verbatim.

"It seems his constant outrage has affected his reading! :)

I never disputed that he said that, but again, reading comprehension is not the strong suit of either of you two idiots. I said it was not the first thing he said, as Petra seemed to imply. If the meaning and symbolism of this red state Democrat (where Obamacare was hugely successful) was lost on you, then you are in fact, an idiot, just like the other Tweedle you pal around with on here. 

Petralicious
#47Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 2:42pm

You know what. You are right. If you guys think Mr Beshear was a good Stategy to represent the party, then I should not argue.I was just hoping for some new energy

But I thought all the talk after the Republican Apocalypse that we thought was happening but never did was that new blood was needed. 

Chuck Schumer, Donna Brazile, Nancy Pelosi, Debra Wasserman-Schultz, Hilary Clinton may be part of the old guard but they have accomplished alot in their lives. They probably have a plan, i just dont see. 

And I plead ignorance on the tradition of rising young stars.  I was going by what the NYTIMES said. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/us/politics/steven-beshear-democratic-response.html

The decision by the congressional Democratic leadership to invite Mr. Beshear, 72, who has been out of office for more than a year, was a departure from tradition for the opposition party, which usually chooses a rising star to offer the televised response to the president’s speech. 

Updated On: 3/1/17 at 02:42 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#48Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 3:09pm

The voice of a "rising star" would have most likely fallen on deaf ears of the right, especially if they could so easily be characterized as "green" and "inexperienced".  A voice that could easily be mistaken as one of their own however, is at least a little more likely to be heard.  I'm not going to pretend that the right seriously listened to anything Beshear said any more than you or BroadwayConcierge did.  That's probably why you would have thought it strategically unsound and criticized him from a purely superficial view.

But I thought all the talk after the Republican Apocalypse that we thought was happening but never did was that new blood was needed.

New blood is needed to fill a variety of positions.  But it would seem that strategizing would have a lot to do with more detailed and dynamic analysis than a single-blanket approach.  And as for tradition, it no longer exists.  We're in uncharted territory which calls for a re-analysis of strategy every step of the way.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

South Florida
#49Strategy
Posted: 3/1/17 at 5:47pm

I think we have two outstanding voices in Bernie and Warren, face it, that's where we are.

Stephanatic