pixeltracker

Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on- Page 2

Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#25Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:38pm

Sunset Boulevard failed because

a. The score is abysmal. Even by Lloyd Webber standards it's about as interesting as uncooked oatmeal and slick as an oil spill on an ice pond.

b They tried to humanize Norma Desmond, who is such a perfect cinematic monster, belonging in the same category as the Universal Frankenstein or Dracula.

c. The movie uses cinema, and specifically black and white 35mm photography to such effect that removing it from that context takes away a lot of its terrifying beauty. Same reason why the story-with-the-story of City of Angels sucks.

d. Billy Wilder's ethos is about as cynical and hardened as you can get. Any attempt at emotionality in Wilder films usually doesn't come off, and the musical trying to was like getting a stone to bleed.

So.....basically, they missed the point.

"In memory, everything happens to music"

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#26Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on
Posted: 3/23/17 at 8:40am

Did anyone catch the reading of The Seven-Year Itch that was done at the York Theatre last October? How was that? I really love this artwork's vintage style...

Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#27Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:30am

THE PRODUCERS?

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN?

Both were great popcorn movies: smart, clever, performed by actors whose like we will never see again. Both were terrible, overdone musicals — and in THE PRODUCERS' case, the movie musical was even worse. How *that* was possible, given the crapload of talent behind it, stitl mystifies me...

http://docandraider.com

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#28Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:39am

muscle23ftl said: "Right, Billy Wilder himself said the show was a 85% just like his movie. I think the other 15% is even better than the movie, because the musical and the dramatic symphonies and the color of the music make it a 15% better. "

If you think some of it is better than the movie, well that's your opinion. But you misquoted and misinterpreted what Wilder said. When asked what he thought of the musical at the opening night party in London, he jokingly said to the press "It's a good musical and would make one hell of a movie" and then, in private, infamously said that it was just his film in permanent long shot. Meaning that they didn't actually DO anything, just took the script and added singing to a lot of inappropriate moments. 

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#29Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:59am

Sunset Boulevard failed because

The running costs were way too high.  

b They tried to humanize Norma Desmond, who is such a perfect cinematic monster, belonging in the same category as the Universal Frankenstein or Dracula.

Not in the film I saw.  They attempted to humanize her in it as well, most notably in the New Year's Eve sequence and the visit to the studio.  Also, in Max's dialogue to Joe regarding the truth about her.

Same reason why the story-with-the-story of City of Angels sucks.

It doesn't.

Nah.  It was gorgeous.  Saw it with Betty Buckley and loved every second of it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 3/23/17 at 10:59 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#30Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on
Posted: 3/23/17 at 11:35am

BakerWilliams said: "Sunset Boulevard failed because

a. The score is abysmal. Even by Lloyd Webber standards it's about as interesting as uncooked oatmeal and slick as an oil spill on an ice pond.

c. The movie uses cinema, and specifically black and white 35mm photography to such effect that removing it from that context takes away a lot of its terrifying beauty. Same reason why the story-with-the-story of City of Angels sucks.

d. Billy Wilder's ethos is about as cynical and hardened as you can get. Any attempt at emotionality in Wilder films usually doesn't come off, and the musical trying to was like getting a stone to bleed.

"

Your point (a) is subjective at best and many would disagree (myself included - it's one of my all-time favorites).

Your point (b) contradicts the 11/18/94 NY Times review, which said: "At the end, when Norma slithers down the stairs as Salome, posturing grotesquely in what is meant to be a sinuous dance of seduction, the transformation is complete. Ms. Close is by this point quite literally out of this world -- a supremely ridiculous, unbearably pathetic monster."

I'm not sure I understand your point (c), which seems to imply that the show somehow lacks "terrifying beauty" because it's not in black and white. I did not see City of Angels, so can't speak to the veracity of that claim.

Your point (d) is also lost on me, as the show's book and much of the dialogue/lyrics are sourced directly from the film script. Joe is a cynical cad and Norma is a sad, tragic figure in both. There is arguably no real love between them; each uses the other to prop up their respective life failures. 

In truth, Sunset Boulevard failed because its weekly operating costs could not be sustained.

So...maybe it's you who missed the point.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 3/23/17 at 11:35 AM

green waver
#31Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on
Posted: 3/23/17 at 12:46pm

This is proving to be an interesting thread. i wonder if anyone out there wants to take a crack at applying it to A Bronx Tale or Groundhog Day? I realize that hardly anyone has seen GD in America yet, but still...

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#32Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:09pm

I wrote a bit about that for A Bronx Tale (and Diner) on my blog this week...

*points to signature*

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

dreamcoat12 Profile Photo
dreamcoat12
#33Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on
Posted: 3/24/17 at 12:43am

I personally enjoyed Big Fish onstage much more than the movie.  The movie is darker in tone.  While I'm sure that is the preferred version by most people, I think that it worked well on Broadway.