pixeltracker

THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews- Page 2

THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 4/3/17 at 10:21am

I saw the show in London and had a good time, but whenever I read the reviews and articles, I always feel so bad for David McGillivray and Walter Zerlin Jr., authors of The Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society Murder Mystery and subsequent Farnsdale shows.  I'll never understand how this company got away with so blatantly ripping off not only the concept and setting of the first Farnsdale show (even the same use of curtain speech), but nearly all of its gags are from the Farnsdale franchise.  I went in not knowing what The Play That Goes Wrong would be like and unfortunately, I'd seen several Farnsdale shows before, so it really tainted my experience.  I wish one of the papers would write an article on that.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

chanel
#26THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 4/3/17 at 3:11pm

Very positive review. Says it doesn't have the back story or setup of Noises Off, but it goes even farther in terms of intricately choreographed pratfalls.

http://www.out.com/michael-musto/2017/4/03/queer-icon-freddie-mercury-gets-new-life-through-polish-born-performer

Mister Matt
#27THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 4/3/17 at 4:26pm

Says it doesn't have the back story or setup of Noises Off, but it goes even farther in terms of intricately choreographed pratfalls.

Mmmm...I'd say it goes farther in the number of pratfalls, but it doesn't top the intricate choreography of Noises Off's masterful second act.

Bway&Disney2
#28THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:06am

I saw this Saturday and have to say what a charming, funny show. Those who say the entire show is akin to the third act of Noises Off are right on. The zany action reaction depict a cast who is woefully incapable of acting, improvising, or handling curveballs and its hilarious. My Cousin who went me is not a theater person, halfway through the fist act he leaned over and said why is this so horrible, at intermission he said its so cute, and at curtain he said that was hilarious I loved it.  If it could have slowed the roar into mishaps a bit to establish setting and situation a bit perhaps it could have helped him.  I did think the opening monologue and the stage crew at the top of the show did serve this purpose well, but perhaps having the director be a stone straight man could have addressed this. However I loved it, laughed all throughout.

Dane F
#29THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:54am

Mister Matt said: "Says it doesn't have the back story or setup of Noises Off, but it goes even farther in terms of intricately choreographed pratfalls.

Mmmm...I'd say it goes farther in the number of pratfalls, but it doesn't top the intricate choreography of Noises Off's masterful second act.

"

Yes, we get it, you don't like the show....

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#30THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 3:03pm

Would anyone care to share where TKTS and TDF seat locations have been. Given sightline issues, should I be hesitant about using TKTS and TDF?

Mister Matt
#31THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 3:54pm

Yes, we get it, you don't like the show....

No, you don't get it.  I enjoyed it and had a good time.  And I also disagreed with that statement.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#32THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 10:17pm

Has anyone seen the show twice? I know a lot of the humor is in the surprise of what happens on stage,but we're still laughing about the show. Does it hold up on a second viewing? Wishing we bought tickets to see this again instead of Charlie.

Dane F
#33THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 10:23pm

Gink said: "Has anyone seen the show twice? I know a lot of the humor is in the surprise of what happens on stage,but we're still laughing about the show. Does it hold up on a second viewing? Wishing we bought tickets to see this again instead of Charlie.

"

It definitely holds up to multiple viewings. I've seen the show three times now, and each time, I've enjoyed myself.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#34THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 6:13pm

I enjoyed the full page ad in Sunday's NTY with pull quotes including the first one "The Best Production I've Ever Been To" attributed to "Ben Brantley of The New York Times' very sophisticated 10-year-old acquaintance."

They then did have a pull quote from Brantley and highlighted the Olivier win, as well.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#35THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 8/21/17 at 9:24am

Wow, I really disliked this. A few chuckles, here and there, but it got old pretty fast. Felt like I could see most of the jokes coming a mile away.

I love Noises Off, so it's not the style, it's the quality. 

That being said, most of the audience around me roared throughout the evening.  My 20yo loved it,  my 16yo, not so much.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#36THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Reviews
Posted: 8/21/17 at 1:31pm

^ I wholeheartedly agree. I really hated this show. I didn't laugh once. I thought the whole thing was the same joke in repeat.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "