pixeltracker

David Malloy or Josh Groban?- Page 2

David Malloy or Josh Groban?

sparepart973
#25David Malloy or Josh Groban?
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:59pm

I only saw Groban in the role in December, and I honestly don't think this is a show that heavily depends on who plays Pierre. Groban was good (or good enough?) but seriously, the majority of the show is really not about his character at all. I would have been equally happy seeing it with the composer of the show. 

suzieprush
#26David Malloy or Josh Groban?
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:13pm

I've seen the show 3 times (once in previews and twice after opening). I've seen Josh each time. He doesn't steal the show. Don't get me wrong, he is great in the role, but he does not make the show. This show is literally my favorite thing and I'm hoping I can drop everything to see Dave because I believe he would be amazing because this show is his baby. I also want to drop everything to see Scott at some point. 

bear88
#27David Malloy or Josh Groban?
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:29pm

It's definitely an ensemble show, with many wonderful performances, but the character of Pierre (as written by Malloy) gives Great Comet a weightiness (pun not intended), poignance, and depth that it would otherwise lack.

I have little doubt that Malloy or Strickland are excellent as Pierre. It sounds like you can't really go wrong, if you like the show.

But I think Groban deserves an enormous amount of credit. His was my favorite performance in the show, and on my recent trip. And I saw Ben Platt (who is also terrific, in a true leading role).

I do think there are people who see the show for Groban, and I suspect some of those folks were the uncomfortable folks both in my section and, more hilariously, on stage. It ain't for everyone.

We'll find out how the show does at the box office once Groban leaves. In theory, it should do just fine, as the show really is the star. But that doesn't mean it will play out that way.

porthos Profile Photo
porthos
#28David Malloy or Josh Groban?
Posted: 4/25/17 at 10:53pm

Dave 100%

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#29David Malloy or Josh Groban?
Posted: 4/26/17 at 7:32am

If you have the choice and aren’t attached to Josh as a name, see Dave. I saw Dave three times and have seen Josh twice, and I’m really sad I won’t make it back while Dave is subbing. Josh is terrific. He really is. You’d be more than satisfied with his performance. But Dave owns Pierre.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Videos