pixeltracker

Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards- Page 5

Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards

10086sunset
#100Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards
Posted: 5/4/17 at 11:47am

Ginger3108 said: "I mean, he is the one who starts these, right? I just assumed. Almost every Riedel thread in the last few months has been created by the same profile."

Welcome to the board. Glad to see you signed up just to comment on this thread. Keep trolling and have a good day.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#101Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards
Posted: 5/4/17 at 12:11pm

84... Cott may be kind of unknown....but to describe him as a nobody is ridiculous.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#102Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards
Posted: 5/4/17 at 2:58pm

"This is pretty easy to answer:

1) David Hyde Pierce is a very well respected actor

Yes he is but that does not mean he deserves Tony nomination for every role he is in. I saw him in "Curtain's" and he was good but actually thought Jonathan Groff deserved the Tony for "Spring Awakening". Bette Midler is the star of "Hello Dolly" and all most people care about when they go to the show. 

2) Corey Cott is a nobody

He was the male lead for "Newsies" which was a hit so I would not say he is a nobody. Outside of this board and her hometown of Charlotte NC, who heard of Eva Noblezada and she got nomination.

3) Dolly is a huge mega-hit

Yes it is but not every lead actor nomination goes to gentleman in a mega hit show. 

4) Bandstand is about to close because it's doing very poorly

I don't pretend to know the business angle of Broadway but I do know last Saturday day and evening shows were basically sold out. I would be surprised if it closed soon, expect it to last at least through the summer, guess we will see.

5) Dolly got raves

Yes it did,

6) Bandstand got negative reviews 

Reviews I read were mixed and there were some good ones like the one by Charles Isherwood. While some reviews did not like the book, everything I read was very positive about Corey Cott and Laura Osnes.

See below from Charles Isherwood.

"Cott’s performance has the raw tumult of a man continually struggling with inner conflicts: frustration, irritation and guilt over a dark wartime secret at constant war with his natural enthusiasm, optimism and the heedless energy and ambition of youth. He’s got a strong singing voice, and brings a bruising force to Donny’s big emotional ballads."

Updated On: 5/4/17 at 02:58 PM

10086Sundays
#103Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards
Posted: 5/5/17 at 3:15am

My 2 cents on the Andy/Ben debate:  Both are deserving, but I would give the award to Andy, although I think Ben will probably get it.  I love Groundhog Day and didn't really have any reaction to DEH.  I liked it enough, but didn't connect to it. As mentioned by others, Groundhog Day is the stronger book/lyrics/music, as DEH write themselves into a corner and then abruptly end the show.

I think Andy is giving a subtle, nuanced performance, that's more than just acting like a jerk and landing the jokes.  Especially from "One Day" on you see how being stuck in one dark day forever has sent him on a downward spiral and forced to access emotion he hadn't previously.  Ben is very committed to his character and his tics, illness, etc and I related to his social issues, but that was all.  It wasn't that he didn't show emotion, I just was't moved by it and I wanted to be.

Full disclosure:  Maybe I need to see DEH again to connect to it.  I had to see Groundhog Day twice before I really saw the layers.  But I blame the terrible audience around me for ruining the first viewing.

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 03:15 AM

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#104Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards
Posted: 5/5/17 at 3:59am

It is a no brainer that Carol Channing will present the Best Musical Actress award. Mark my words.....

djoko84
#105Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards
Posted: 5/5/17 at 6:40am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "84... Cott may be kind of unknown....but to describe him as a nobody is ridiculous.

"

When I said nobody I meant an unknown. I still stand by my assertion that when given the choice to nominate someone from a raved about mega-hit show versus a bomb with negative to mixed reviews they will almost always go with the raved mega-hit.

froote
#106Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards
Posted: 5/5/17 at 6:44am

Bandstand received mixed-to-positive reviews.

It's not always the case. Mary Beth Peil getting in over Brittain Ashford and Amber Gray for example.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#107Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:33am

"When I said nobody I meant an unknown. I still stand by my assertion that when given the choice to nominate someone from a raved about mega-hit show versus a bomb with negative to mixed reviews they will almost always go with the raved mega-hit.

Ok, you may be right but I don't think that is fair. Going by that logic, you might as well exclude anyone from a show that is not a "hit". As for "Bandstand", the reviews were mixed to positive in my opinion not negative to mixed. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#108Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards
Posted: 5/5/17 at 10:00pm

SmoothLover said: "It is a no brainer that Carol Channing will present the Best Musical Actress award. Mark my words.....

"

That would be so FABulous

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Ginger3108
#109Riedel handicaps the Tony Awards
Posted: 5/6/17 at 12:40am

10086sunset said: "Ginger3108 said: "I mean, he is the one who starts these, right? I just assumed. Almost every Riedel thread in the last few months has been created by the same profile."

Welcome to the board. Glad to see you signed up just to comment on this thread. Keep trolling and have a good day.

"Thank you for that warm greeting. Also, you're right. I forgot that you're supposed to join a message board and then never post. Silly me for participating and asking questions. Keep on posting those trashy Riedel articles and have a good day!