pixeltracker

Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!- Page 2

Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#25Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/8/17 at 12:03pm

I'm terribly confused as to how Come From Away won Best Sound Design over The Great Comet. If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that the sound design team for TGC literally had to invent code for the sound to be effective with people running all over the huge theatre. I guess now I understand why the Tonys are putting together a special committee of voters for the Sound Design awards next year so that stuff like this doesn't happen. 

djoko84
#26Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/9/17 at 6:32am

With The Band's Visit surprise win at the NY Drama Critics Circle, it definitely has a good shot to win at the Drama Desks.

Wayman_Wong
#27Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/9/17 at 11:06am

''The Band's Visit'' was NOT a ''surprise win'' at the New York Drama Critics Circle; it was the expected favorite, getting 16 out of 22 votes. (I even hinted as much the day before in another posting.) If another show had won, THAT would've been a ''surprise win.''

You might be under the impression that all shows are given equal consideration by the various critics' groups, and that's just not true. Year after year, Broadway shows win about 90% of the Drama Desk Awards, and there's a reason for that: They do a much better job (on the whole) than Off-Broadway shows at inviting their members. Broadway shows are in bigger houses, so they have more seats to offer. Off-Broadway shows are in smaller houses, and while they might accommodate the 2 dozen first-night members of the N.Y. Drama Critics Circle, not many of them (like the Atlantic) will put in the over 100 members of the Drama Desk. Off-Broadway shows often can't afford to give away that many press comps and/or don't see the benefit. Their shows usually are limited runs.

And here's another area where Broadway shows benefit. ''Come From Away'' and ''Anastasia'' are two Drama Desk nominees up for Best Musical. They're still on Broadway, and they can make sure that Drama Desk members see them (or are at least invited). ''The Band's Visit'' only played Nov. 11-Jan. 8; if you missed it during the 2-month run, there's nothing the Atlantic can do to get Drama Desk members to see it now, so they can consider it for awards. Ditto, for ''Hadestown'' and ''The Lightning Thief,'' the remaining Drama Desk nominees for Best Musical. They're also Off-Broadway shows that have closed. As a rule, they rarely ever win Drama Desk Awards.

Updated On: 5/9/17 at 11:06 AM

Wayman_Wong
#28Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/9/17 at 10:39pm

''Most performers that I have encountered are unbelievably humble for any kind of accolade.''

Andy Karl tweeted this about his Outer Critics Circle win for Outstanding Actor in a Musical: ''This is awesome. I'm so grateful.''

And Bette Midler tweeted: ''I want to thank the Outer Critics Circle for their Outstanding Actress in a Musical Award, and the others they showered on 'HELLO, DOLLY!' ''

Updated On: 5/9/17 at 10:39 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#29Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/9/17 at 11:32pm

When somebody earlier said that the OCC Awards don't "mean" anything, I think he or she meant it purely from a sales perspective. Of course these awards are meaningful and humbling and, for the most part, extremely deserved for the winning and nominated performers. But ticket-buyers don't head to the box office on the basis of a show's OCC wins; only Tonys have that kind of awards-related sales power.

Wayman_Wong
#30Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/9/17 at 11:48pm

It's often been said that that the only award that means anything at the box office is the Tony for Best Musical. ... So while nobody probably is waiting to buy tickets based on what wins the Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk or N.Y. Drama Critics' Circle awards, sometimes those wins can play into the buzz and help a show or performer's momentum toward a Tony. Sometimes, they prove to be precursors. Sometimes, they don't. But it never hurts to win.

At least I've never known a show or performer to complain. Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!

Updated On: 5/9/17 at 11:48 PM

Trish2
#31Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/10/17 at 12:26am

Wayman,

Can you please explain why Warren Carlyle was even considered eligible for Best Choreography?

I don't understand how that makes sense given the circumstances and his percentage of 'new material" for the show. Was it a prize for best reconstruction of steps and concepts of Gower Champion?

Wayman_Wong
#32Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/10/17 at 2:10am

Trish2, I can't say I know Gower Champion's original Tony-winning choreography well enough to compare and contrast Warren Carlyle's work on the current revival. Apparently, the Tonys felt it was close enough to Champion's work to disqualify him for a Tony nomination. On the other hand, as Speed notes earlier in this thread: ''It is not Gower's choreography in the revival of Hello Dolly!  It pays homage to it throughout but it's not the same.'' Seemingly, the Outer Critics Circle and the Drama Desk are going with that interpretation because both groups nominated Carlyle, and have nominators who undoubtedly saw the original version. I'd love to hear what Carlyle has to say, but I Googled and haven't found an interview yet. I'm sure he would love to set the record straight, so voters didn't think he just re-created Champion's work.

I'm reminded of Ann Reinking, who won a Tony for choreographing the 2006 revival of ''Chicago.'' In the Playbill, it was described as: ''Choreography by Ann Reinking in the style of Bob Fosse.'' And yet there are some who say that Reinking DID re-create Fosse's original work, period. Who knows? ... I leave these questions to those who know far more about dance and have sharper eyes than I.

Updated On: 5/10/17 at 02:10 AM

Musicaldudepeter
#33Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/10/17 at 5:34am

And what about the last King & I revival - weren't there brand new dances but then a lot of Robbins' stuff thrown in? Wasn't CG eligible and nominated for a Tony? 

Wayman_Wong
#34Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/10/17 at 12:00pm

Chris Gattelli was Tony-eligible and nominated for ''The King and I.''

Ultimately, the Tony administration committee rules on eligibility and has the discretion to do as it sees fit. Only its members can answer these questions, but since they don't appear to publicly discuss their deliberations, good luck with that!

Updated On: 5/10/17 at 12:00 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#35Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!
Posted: 5/10/17 at 4:15pm

Same as Chet Walker recreating Fosse's choreography for the PIPPIN revival and he was nominated for a TONY!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Videos