pixeltracker

Gigi - 1973 production with Moorehead- Page 2

Gigi - 1973 production with Moorehead

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25Gigi - 1973 production with Moorehead
Posted: 8/3/17 at 4:44pm

In addition, there were many, many Broadway musicals adapted from movie non-musicals pre-1969.  Off the top of my head, Wonderful Town, Silk Stockings, Mame and Promises Promises were hits.  Donnybrook, Hazel Flagg, Darling of the Day, Illya Darling, and Shangdi La were flops.  

The films for Wonderful Town, Silk Stockings, Mame, Donnybrook and Shangri-La were all adaptations of previously published stories/novels.  Darling of the Day was a novel and a play first, but never a film.  My Sister Eileen went through three different adaptations before Wonderful Town premiered on Broadway and then two years later, was produced as yet another adaptation as a musical film with a different book and a score by Jule Styne.  After that, it was adapted as a TV series, but only ran one season.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#26Gigi - 1973 production with Moorehead
Posted: 8/3/17 at 5:55pm

Demitri2 said: "I thought I had once read Moorehead's illness finally made it too difficult for her to sing "The Contract" from GIGI's score so she at one point was mouthing the words on stage to a recording of her voice. Anyone recall this?  "

In the biographies I read on Moorehead, this wasn't mentioned. I believe they both said she was physically too weak to get to the theater and perform from her Manhattan apartment, and that's when she called it quits on the production (which, I believe, was about 6 weeks into the run?).

Jarethan
#27Gigi - 1973 production with Moorehead
Posted: 8/3/17 at 8:45pm

theatregeek6 said: "The Other One said: "Theatergeek6 was clearly talking about it being the first Broadway musical that started out as a movie musical.  All of the other films listed as being the sources of Broadway musicals were non-musical.

Correct-as I remember it the hoopla was about it being the first movie musical to be brought to the Broadway stage. and if my memory serves me it was a pretty pure scene per scene staging.   Of course since then we have had many (42nd street, Meet Me in St. Louie, everything Disney has done,)

It was not.  As an example, I would cite the length interlude covering The Contract and the increase in the size of Aunt Alicia's role, probably at the expense of Grandmama (I say this because I do not remember Maria Karnilova in it at all).  Also, the movie did not have enough songs for a stage musical...4 or 5 songs were added.

"

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#28Gigi - 1973 production with Moorehead
Posted: 8/4/17 at 8:39am

Some more tidbits on this thread:  I remember Agnes Moorehead being the Mystery Guest on the new syndicated What's My Line? at the time of this production of Gigi. Wally Bruner was the host then, I think. He asked her about the show, I think it was in previews or about to start. While she said she happy to be in the show, at the same time she seemed less than thrilled and went on about the constant cuttings and additions and how tiring that can be. Ironically, she sat across from Arlene Francis on the panel, who would shortly replace her.

Updated On: 8/4/17 at 08:39 AM

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#29Gigi - 1973 production with Moorehead
Posted: 8/4/17 at 8:51am

Jarethan said: "theatregeek6 said: "The Other One said: "Theatergeek6 was clearly talking about it being the first Broadway musical that started out as a movie musical.  All of the other films listed as being the sources of Broadway musicals were non-musical.

Correct-as I remember it the hoopla was about it being the first movie musical to be brought to the Broadway stage. and if my memory serves me it was a pretty pure scene per scene staging.   Of course since then we have had many (42nd street, Meet Me in St. Louie, everything Disney has done,)

It was not.  As an example, I would cite the length interlude covering The Contract and the increase in the size of Aunt Alicia's role, probably at the expense of Grandmama (I say this because I do not remember Maria Karnilova in it at all).  Also, the movie did not have enough songs for a stage musical...4 or 5 songs were added.

"

"

Thanks Jarathan - it's been a lot of years and my memory of the show has melded with my memory of the movie.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#30Gigi - 1973 production with Moorehead
Posted: 8/4/17 at 2:38pm

Thanks Everyone! I love reading all these responses and tidbits about this short-lived production with one of my favorite actresses, Agnes Moorehead. I'm glad I started this thread..please keep the memories coming. 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#31Gigi - 1973 production with Moorehead
Posted: 8/4/17 at 2:40pm

David10086: Thank you!- for remembering this production!

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#32Gigi - 1973 production with Moorehead
Posted: 8/4/17 at 2:47pm

Not really a tidbit but... I do remember around this time-early 70's- all these musical revivals announced openings: Gigi, On The Town, Good News. And all were so disappointing. Proved how special No, No, Nanette really was. (That revival of On The Town did have a very young wonderful actress named  Bernadette Peters).

Videos