Wicked Movie Casting

jacksonpotter
#1Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 9:59pm

Just wondering who you guys think will end up in the movie - I highly doubt that anyone from any of the Broadway productions past and present will be casted, and anyone from the OBC is out of the picture (though I would love to see Kristin as Morrible, and maybe Norbert as the Wizard) so who do you think in Hollywood would get the parts? My guesses? What do you guys think!

Elphie: Lea Michele, she's probably the obvious choice and the front runner right now though I don't know if she's got the acting or singing chops for the part; I'd love for them to cast Samantha Barks instead! 

Glinda: I heard Dove Cameron is being considered, but the hard thing about Glinda is the part is not only belty but operatic and extremely high and I doubt Dove has the ability for both acting and vocals... maybe Emmy Rossum or even Amanda Seyfried (questioning this even as I type it), both of whom have proved their capability. Even Megan Hilty who has been somewhat thrust into the Hollywood world by Smash, though I would love for Ali Mauzey to reprise her Glinda. 

Fiyero - Aaron Tveit. That is all. 

Nessarose: Anna Kendrick, for some reason I feel as though it would be impossible for Anna Kendrick to not be in this movie, and while her vocals in Into the Woods were impressive I don't think that they are anywhere near what they would need to be for either Elphie or Glinda. 

Boq: Darren Criss, I think in terms of mainstream actors nowadays Darren is the best one, not only does he look the part but he would be just perfect. 

Morrible: I think this part is simply MADE for Meryl Streep, she would be just perfect! Her Last Midnight in Into the Woods was flawless and her Morrible would be just amazing! 

The Wizard: For some reason, this is the one I am having the most difficulty with and can't seem to decide on who would be good for the part... 

Sunny11
#2Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:13pm

The younger characters start the show as college students. I don't think  that using actors in their mid 20s/ early 30s will work well on the big screen. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:21pm

We have these a whole lot, but whatever.

my top pick for elphie is Betsy Wolfe. Then the rest of the cast would be Hollywood a listers

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#4Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:26pm

My dream cast would be:

Elphaba - Samantha Barks (although wouldn't be upset if it was Nicole Scherzinger, which was reported.)

Glinda - Dove Cameron PLEASE.

Fiyero - Darren Criss, Aaron Tveit, or Derek Hough

Morrible - Meryl Streep PLEASE.

Nessarose - Anna Kendrick is the only option.

Dillamond - Richard Gere

The Wizard - Even though he's a bit young, I think James Corden would be sensational.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#5Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:30pm

Call_me_jorge said: "We have these a whole lot, but whatever.

my top pick for elphie is Betsy Wolfe. Then the rest of the cast would be Hollywood a listers
"

As much as I love her, I think she would be better suited to play Glinda.

jacksonpotter
#6Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:30pm

I guess that they could always streamline the timeline of the show, I mean, I don't think it would be that difficult and complicate the plot that much!

broadwayboy223
#7Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:31pm

LOL Dove Cameron who was surpisingly not bad in hairspray does not have a great operatic soprano. Neither does Amanda Seyfreid (see every movie musical she's been in). I say Megan Hilty or Chenoweth. Maybe Anne Hathaway? Not sure of her soprano either...

jacksonpotter
#8Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:32pm

Jessetenny said: "My dream cast would be:

Elphaba - Samantha Barks (although wouldn't be upset if it was Nicole Scherzinger, which was reported.)

Dillamond - Richard Gere

The Wizard - Even though he's a bit young, I think James Corden would be sensational.
"

I never thought of Derrick Hough as a contender for Fiyero, he seems a little old for the part but thinking about it now, I can see it a bit... I pray though that they don't cast Garret Clayton as Fiyero... he was terrible in Hairspray live! Even Jordan Fisher might be a better option! I was going to write James Corden for the Wizard as well!

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#9Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:32pm

broadwayboy223 said: "LOL Dove Cameron who was surpisingly not bad in hairspray does not have a great operatic soprano. Neither does Amanda Seyfreid (see every movie musical she's been in). I say Megan Hilty or Chenoweth. Maybe Anne Hathaway? Not sure of her soprano either..."

Haha, have you heard her try? Even if she doesn't, she can train. She looks the part and has the acting chops. Oh yeah, and shes BFFs with Chenoweth who could help her.

jacksonpotter
#10Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:34pm

broadwayboy223 said: "LOL Dove Cameron who was surpisingly not bad in hairspray does not have a great operatic soprano. Neither does Amanda Seyfreid (see every movie musical she's been in). I say Megan Hilty or Chenoweth. Maybe Anne Hathaway? Not sure of her soprano either..."

I agree about Dove Cameron, however, I do think that she would be amazing as Ariel in the Little Mermaid live action movie - right up her ally vocally and acting wise... I think she would be flawless! Anne Hathway is probably too old, and I doubt she's a strong enough singer to take on No One Mourns the Wicked, however, I would love to see her  cover Thank Goodness... just not as the movie Glinda LOL

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#11Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:35pm

jacksonpotter said: "Jessetenny said: "My dream cast would be:

Dillamond - Richard Gere

"

I never thought of Derrick Hough as a contender for Fiyero, he seems a little old for the part but thinking about it now, I can see it a bit... I pray though that they don't cast Garret Clayton as Fiyero... he was terrible in Hairspray live! Even Jordan Fisher might be a better option! I was going to write James Corden for the Wizard as well!
"

Yes!! I didn't even think of Jordan Fisher, but he's perfect!

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#12Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:35pm

Double post

Updated On: 9/8/17 at 10:35 PM

jacksonpotter
#13Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 10:50pm

Jessetenny said: "Call_me_jorge said: "We have these a whole lot, but whatever.

"

"

Betsy is in every way shape and form a beltress, I have ever heard her sing in a legit way once! While her personality is Glinda, vocally I don't think she would be able to do it

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#14Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 11:03pm

Daniel Radcliffe for Boq!

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

broadwayboy223
#15Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 11:14pm

No I personally have not heard try, but from what I have heard of her head voice it's not much. She's more of a belter. I think she doesn't have enough following to garner such a coveted part in a highly anticipated film. My guess is they are either gonna use Idina and Kristin and CGI them or go with Lea Michele/Ariana Grande etc 

broadwayboy223
#16Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 11:16pm

jacksonpotter said: "Jessetenny said: "Call_me_jorge said: "We have these a whole lot, but whatever.

"

"

Betsy is in every way shape and form a beltress, I have ever heard her sing in a legit way once! While her personality is Glinda, vocally I don't think she would be able to do it
"

I don't think you know of what you speak. Betsy has a fantastic legit soprano. She was Rosa in Edwin Drood and she's just been cast as Carrie in Carousel an actual legit soprano role. The reason she can belt so well is because she's an amazing soprano. She has a great mix. You might want to do some research..

broadwayboy223
#17Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 11:17pm

jacksonpotter said: "Jessetenny said: "Call_me_jorge said: "We have these a whole lot, but whatever.

"

"

"

I don't think you know of what you speak. Betsy has a fantastic legit soprano. She was Rosa in Edwin Drood and she's just been cast as Carrie in Carousel an actual legit soprano role. The reason she can belt so well is because she's an amazing soprano. She has a great mix. You might want to do some research..

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#18Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 11:25pm

Call_me_jorge said: "We have these a whole lot, but whatever.

"

LOVE that idea.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#19Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 11:27pm

Emmy Rossum MUST play Elphaba. And Glinda.

jacksonpotter
#20Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 11:39pm

broadwayboy223 said: "No I personally have not heard try, but from what I have heard of her head voice it's not much. She's more of a belter. I think she doesn't have enough following to garner such a coveted part in a highly anticipated film. My guess is they are either gonna use Idina and Kristin and CGI them or go with Lea Michele/Ariana Grande etc"

I never even knew they were considering Ariana Grande for Glinda, I hope that doesn't happen. While I think she's an amazing vocalist, and could certainly hold her own vocally (with a bit of training, breath support, and enunciation), she has become far too unwilling to transition away from the character mould that she developed for herself while on Victorious

Notreallysilent 2
#21Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/8/17 at 11:59pm

I also see Betsy more as elphaba than Glinda. Idk I guess the reason I think so is because to me it seems the elsas are elphaba and the Anna's are Glinda's. At least that's why I see her more as elphaba, but you know having her in either role would be amazing. Also idk how well Meryl Streep will fit as madame morrible, but I would still love it to happen. I mean she's been in a handful of the broadway to screen shows so why not.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#22Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/9/17 at 12:31am

Grant Gustin as Fiyero. He's the right age, has the musical theatre background, and has the fan base from The Flash to be a "star" draw.

I honestly can't think of any Hollywood stars who could handle the vocal demands of Elphaba and Glinda, so I'd prefer if they cast those as relative unknowns/theatre actresses and packed the rest of the cast with film and TV actors.

jacksonpotter
#23Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/9/17 at 1:00am

bwayrose7 said: "Grant Gustin as Fiyero. He's the right age, has the musical theatre background, and has the fan base from The Flash to be a "star" draw.

I honestly can't think of any Hollywood stars who could handle the vocal demands of Elphaba and Glinda, so I'd prefer if they cast those as relative unknowns/theatre actresses and packed the rest of the cast with film and TV actors.
"

Grant Gustin is good but to me he's just not Fiyero... maybe more of a Boq but I can see how he'd be an option... probably every  male actor in hollywood who can carry a tune is being considered for Fiyero! I agree with the fact that it'll be hard to find two hollywood actresses to actually do the roles, if they were to get two unknown actresses who are trained in musical theatre, the movie might be just as good as the show... and its already got so much hype that not every cast member has to be famous

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#24Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/9/17 at 1:11am

I'd really dig Harry Styles as Fiyero, he's proved he has the acting chops from Dunkirk. Other than that, three word. Nolan Gerard Funk

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#25Wicked Movie Casting
Posted: 9/9/17 at 2:22am

Victor Garber as the Wizard PLEASE