Titanic Revival

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#25Titanic Revival
Posted: 11/25/17 at 11:53am

I ask the following question genuinely: can someone explain to me the love for this show? I saw Titanic at Signature in D.C. last year, and while I thought the production was glorious (as Signature's shows always are), I thought the show itself was interminable and boring. It took the entire first act to get to the main event we knew was coming, and I felt no reason to care emotionally for any of the characters until then. The score, while lush, sometimes felt slow and sluggish.

Maybe it's because I saw the show for the first time in a post-Hamilton world, but I thought it was a very slow affair that didn't make the history of the event compelling at all. Surprised to see I'm in the minority.

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#26Titanic Revival
Posted: 11/25/17 at 12:28pm

I live in New York, but I adore this show so much, so I bought a ticket to see the Signature version on my way back from a trip out west. On my plane ride from CA to DC I started to get horribly sick, then had hours of plane delays, and once I finally landed in DC I was so weak, I went straight to my hotel and slept for like 15 hours and had to MISS the show. My devastation is still real. So, I really hope this happens!

And Concierge, it’s the score the score the score. Grand, sweeping, and intelligent, lyrical, and richly felt lyrics, and especially as sung by the original cast, it’s just on another level. Yes, there’s a wide swath of characters, many we don’t get to know nearly enough about. Yes, not much actually happens. But, I always found the bits and clues about why this happened to be really Interesting, and it’s a certainly a situation ripe for human drama. It’s up to you if it takes full advantage of that enough for you, but for me the score is a masterpiece. Just my opinion.

"...and in a bed."

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#27Titanic Revival
Posted: 11/26/17 at 1:13am

The major problem with the show itself is that I feel like after the absolutely stunning opening sequence, the narrative doesn't live up to it. BUT with that said this is one of my favorite scores ever, it's beautiful and lush and lyrical, and it overcomes whatever shortcomings are present in the storytelling. This production looks gorgeous, I'd love to see it come to Broadway.