Beaumont center orchestra

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#1Beaumont center orchestra
Posted: 2/27/18 at 11:25am

Sorry to start another thread on this eternal subject, but I have to make a very quick decision on behalf of a friend coming from London. I've almost always sat in last rows of the orchestra for shows at the Vivan Beaumont, and they're fine, but for the dates I'm looking at for "My Fair Lady," I see I have a choice between Row C (second row) and Row N, both center (300s). Personally, I usually don't like to sit too close, but because the Beaumont has a thrust stage, I wonder if I should give it a try. What's it like in terms of sound and taking in the stage spectacle? Is there going to be a pit between me and the stage for this one?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2Beaumont center orchestra
Posted: 2/27/18 at 11:31am

Peter2 said: "Is there going to be a pit between me and the stage for this one?"

I like being close, so I'd totally go for C. The conductor will be there, but the rest of the orchestra is under the stage. They will usually roll the stage back for the overture, so you see everyone, and then roll it up afterward. If they go with massive sets, like the ship in King & I, it can seem a bit close, but when they do it is never anything that tends to stay that close for long, since it reduces visibility too much for the sides.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#3Beaumont center orchestra
Posted: 2/28/18 at 12:06am

I saw The King and I four times (once with a group in the mezzanine) and my favorite seats, applicable only to this theater, are the first two rows of the orchestra to the left or right of the orchestra pit.

You are practically on the stage with the actors. You and the stage are on the same level. You can see every expression on every face. When Kelli or Ruthie Ann came out to deliver a song on your side, you were about a dozen feet away from her. During the second act ballet, Anna stepped up and sat down on a little stool right next to me to watch.

I know that this would not be everyone’s first choice, but voyeurs and those without great distance vision will find it memorable.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#4Beaumont center orchestra
Posted: 2/28/18 at 5:11am

As other posters have said, front and center orchestra at the Beaumont is fantastic. I like to sit close but many Broadway theatres have tall stages. Take advantage of the absent stage height issue at the Beaumont. Definitely choose row C! That is a no brainer to me.

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#5Beaumont center orchestra
Posted: 2/28/18 at 6:43pm

Thanks, everybody! Since it was unanimous, I picked up seats in the first row. I haven’t seen MFL since London 2001, so I’m excited!

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#6Beaumont center orchestra
Posted: 2/28/18 at 7:13pm

You won't regret it. You are going to feel like you are sitting on an easy chair in Henry Higgins' study, watching the action unfold. I guess I need to admit to myself that I am a voyeur.