pixeltracker

Question about stubhub for broadway tickets- Page 2

Question about stubhub for broadway tickets

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#25Question about stubhub for broadway tickets
Posted: 5/3/18 at 3:29pm

Also, I wonder who keeps the extra money? If this does happen, I'd imagine that in the official accounting for Bway grosses, those center orch seats would just be shown as sold for premium pricing (i.e. $400 rather than the 2x-3x price normally found at stubhub).

Updated On: 5/3/18 at 03:29 PM

TheCooler
#26Question about stubhub for broadway tickets
Posted: 5/3/18 at 3:29pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/theater/the-book-of-mormon-is-to-sell-tickets-via-stubhub.html

I mean, i still consider it the secondary market. since its not sold on the primary.  I think TKTS is a secondary market too..even though tickets come from the box office.  I have a couple theories why the theater would want to use Stubhub as marketplace to sell tickets.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#27Question about stubhub for broadway tickets
Posted: 5/3/18 at 3:32pm

The NYT disagrees: "This is the first time that StubHub will act as a so-called primary ticketing outlet on such a large scale."

TheCooler
#28Question about stubhub for broadway tickets
Posted: 5/3/18 at 3:36pm

Wick3 said: "Also, I wonder who keeps the extra money? If this does happen, I'd imagine that in the official accounting for Bway grosses, those center orch seats would just be shown as sold for premium pricing (i.e. $400 rather than the 2x-3x price normally found at stubhub)."

I am almost positive, any sales from a secondary market would count towards the weekly gross.  Hence some shows are well above their potential gross.  whereas, some shows are well below their potential gross even though they sold most of their seats..ie. they dumped the tickets at TKTS at half price.  im not an accountant, but i would think any sale, no matter where it is sold..would have to be counted towards the weekly gross of the show.  as long as the ticket that was sold came from the SHOW ITSELF.  (i.e. not a reseller).  if the show lists a ticket on Stubhub for $1000 and sells it..I think they have to report the ticket sold at that price. If we bought a ticket for $100 from ticketmaster, the show will report $100..even though maybe that ticket sold somewhere else for higher or lower.   I hope that makes sense.  :)  

TheCooler
#29Question about stubhub for broadway tickets
Posted: 5/3/18 at 3:39pm

haterobics said: "The NYT disagrees: "This is the first time that StubHub will act as a so-called primary ticketing outlet on such a large scale.""

you are right...in that sense, it is a primary market since the tickets come directly from the shows...they are not being resold.  even though stubhub in itself is a secondary market, those tickets, are primary tickets :) i  stand corrected.  

Robert16 Profile Photo
Robert16
#30Question about stubhub for broadway tickets
Posted: 5/3/18 at 3:45pm

I purchased a pair of Mean Girls tixs with face value of $169 for $70 each and a pair of Boys In The Band face also $169 for only $50 each

StubHub rocks when sellers get desperate

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#31Question about stubhub for broadway tickets
Posted: 5/3/18 at 7:17pm

I have a couple theories why the theater would want to use Stubhub as marketplace to sell tickets.

Yes... to out-scalp the scalpers.  Capitalism at it's finest.