pixeltracker

Theaters Comfortable for "Large" Patrons- Page 3

Theaters Comfortable for "Large" Patrons

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#50Theaters Comfortable for
Posted: 5/26/23 at 11:54am

Just here to say that I'm an usher and we get reseating requests frequently from larger folks and we do our absolute best to accommodate them. Usually the solution that makes everyone happiest is a box seat, as those are regular chairs rather than theatre seats and can be moved around a bit to give yourself a little more room. It definitely also depends on how your weight is distributed, because if you're larger around the hips and midsection it can be much more uncomfortable for you than for a person who might be bigger than you but carries their weight differently. I know in my theatre at least we're quite happy to help people out as we want everyone to have a nice time and be as comfortable as possible! :) 

BETTY22
#51Theaters Comfortable for
Posted: 5/26/23 at 4:08pm

Barrymore is great. In fact, what it was originally built it was billed as 'the most comfortable' theatre on Broadway. 

Dionysus3 Profile Photo
Dionysus3
#52Theaters Comfortable for
Posted: 1/6/24 at 6:30pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if house staff would still consider moving someone to a box seat or other freestanding chair if they bought a rush ticket? I’ll be in NY to see a couple other shows next month, and thought I might try to rush one of the two shows with Thursday matinees just to have something to do that afternoon. I’ve never bought rush seats; would that make any difference?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#53Theaters Comfortable for
Posted: 1/7/24 at 6:51am

YMMV but I think it just depends on availability and normally it's up to the house manager to make that decision (he/she normally checks with the box office to see which seats are unsold/available.) 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#54Theaters Comfortable for
Posted: 1/7/24 at 8:24am

Dionysus3 said: "Out of curiosity, does anyone know if house staff would still consider moving someone to a box seat or other freestanding chair if they bought a rush ticket? I’ll be in NY to see a couple other shows next month, and thought I might try to rush one of the two shows with Thursday matinees just to have something to do that afternoon. I’ve never bought rush seats; would that make any difference?"

Be advised, depending on the show, boxes may not be available if they use them to hold technical elements of the show (speakers, lights, etc)

I’ve had to do this frequently (I’m 6’8 and 300ish). I know the theatres pretty well and so I ALWAYS ask up front if they have anything accessible for Rush and it almost always works and saves me the headache later.

If you do lottery, request the accessible seating (BroadwayDirect and Lucky Seat have this option).

If you get a rush ticket that you think may not be conducive to your needs, I STRONGLY advise you get there at doors opening. That gives the house staff time to help resolve the issue early. If you show up close to curtain (or it’s a sold out show), you may just be S-O-L.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Dionysus3 Profile Photo
Dionysus3
#55Theaters Comfortable for
Posted: 1/7/24 at 9:07pm

quizking101 said: "Dionysus3 said: "Out of curiosity, does anyone know if house staff would still consider moving someone to a box seat or other freestanding chair if they bought a rush ticket? I’ll be in NY to see a couple other shows next month, and thought I might try to rush one of the two shows with Thursday matinees just to have something to do that afternoon. I’ve never bought rush seats; would that make any difference?"

Be advised, depending on the show, boxes may not be available if they use them to hold technical elements of the show (speakers, lights, etc)

I’ve had to do this frequently (I’m 6’8 and 300ish). I know the theatres pretty well and so I ALWAYS ask up front if they have anything accessible for Rush and it almost always works and saves me the headache later.

If you do lottery, request the accessible seating (BroadwayDirect and Lucky Seat have this option).

If you get a rush ticket that you think may not be conducive to your needs, I STRONGLY advise you get there at doors opening. That gives the house staff time to help resolve the issue early. If you show up close to curtain (or it’s a sold out show), you may just be S-O-L.
"

This is incredibly helpful; thank you!

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#56Theaters Comfortable for
Posted: 1/9/24 at 8:07pm

Don’t remember that Hayes was this horrible when it was Helen Hayes but if you want any legroom regardless of your body size (maybe except if you are extremely tiny), the legroom is basically nonexistent. You would expect a nonprofit to be more reasonable when they bought and renovated the theater but oh well.