pixeltracker

Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish

Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish

bennyb86
#1Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 1:41pm

I haven't seen any responses to this lately but I will be seeing this again on my upcoming trip in a month before it closes and wanted to know if the (don't know how to post spoiler tags) its OK for the audience to still yell out about a certain objects location during the play or if that has changed at all during its run. 

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#2Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 3:13pm

I went a week ago and yes, you can definitely "help out" during the show [wink, wink]! I would wait a little while to give the audience that "do I shout out or not" anticipation. 

And definitely help Trevor count those clock chimes !

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#3Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 3:20pm

You just brought back some great memories from when I saw the play.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#4Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 5:08pm

CarmenA3 said: "I went a week ago and yes, you can definitely "help out" during the show [wink, wink]! I would wait a little while to give the audience that "do I shout out or not" anticipation.

And definitely help Trevor count those clock chimes !
"

We saw this early in  its run and had a blast--perhaps the most fun we've ever had on Broadway. We were thinking about trying to see it again before it closes--how is it holding up with the new cast?

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#5Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 5:17pm

I wonder if people will still do this while it’s on tour. The National Launch is in Pittsburgh, and I have tickets to see it during the Sunday Matinee on its final day there.

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#6Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 5:18pm

You had to use the spoiler phrase AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION in the thread title?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 5:31pm

dmwnc1959 said: "I wonder if people will still do this while it’s on tour. The National Launch is in Pittsburgh, and I have tickets to see it during the Sunday Matinee on its final day there."

Preston Truman Boyd has said he's doing the tour.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#8Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 5:39pm

ACL2006 said: “Preston Truman Boyd has said he's doing the tour."

Thanks! Had to look that one up. Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish

I was more or less wondering if the audience would also do the ‘participation’ like they do on Broadway? Or if they would even know to?

Updated On: 7/3/18 at 05:39 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#9Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 5:42pm

I saw Preston in Jersey Boys years ago; I haven't seen him in this yet, but glad to know he's doing the tour too!

I've seen The Play That Goes Wrong three times — once with the original cast and twice with the current cast. One of those times, no one yelled about "the object" for the longest time, and I'm pretty sure an usher ended up yelling it.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

annang
#10Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 7:56pm

BalconyClub said: "You had to use the spoiler phrase AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION in the thread title?

I’m actually incredibly grateful for it. Audience participation, and specifically, surprise participation that the audience isn’t warned about in advance, is one of my biggest theater pet peeves. I had no idea there was audience participation in this show. Now I know not to go see it. So I really appreciate that someone gave me the heads up, even though I think the producers or the marketing team should have said so. No idea why we warn people about fog and gunshots, but don’t warn them that they might be pressured to participate in the show.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#11Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 8:03pm

annang said: "BalconyClub said: "You had to use the spoiler phrase AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION in the thread title?

I’m actually incredibly grateful for it. Audience participation, and specifically, surprise participation that the audience isn’t warned about in advance, is one of my biggest theater pet peeves. I had no idea there was audience participation in this show. Now I know not to go see it. So I really appreciate that someone gave me the heads up, even though I think the producers or the marketing team should have said so. No idea why we warn people about fog and gunshots, but don’t warn them that they might be pressured to participate in the show.

"

There is absolutely no pressure to participate during the short segment, and if no one does I'm sure they have a contingent plan such as use of the ushers. No one is on stage or forced to interact with the characters at that point. It's just a gag that the audience is in on and the actor is 'not' and all it requires is someone to shout out help for the actor.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#12Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 8:05pm

^ ^ ^ Sounds like fun!!! :) 

Doesn’t sound like any pressure to me. Can’t wait. :)

Updated On: 7/3/18 at 08:05 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#13Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/3/18 at 8:29pm

annang said: "BalconyClub said: "You had to use the spoiler phrase AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION in the thread title?

"

Your whole rant is an incredible overreaction stemming from you not having any idea of what is being spoken about and what goes on in the actual show. Too many assumptions. There is no pressure for anybody to participate. The part the OP is talking about is just one part that comes out organically. If nobody says anything then I think an usher ends up doing the necessary participation. It's a small but very effective part of the show.

scarlet721
#14Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/4/18 at 1:13am

saw it for the second time a couple of weeks ago with the new cast.  i felt that some of the new actors were weaker than the originals, and the act one finale didn't work as well.

as to the "object" bit, it went on WAY long when i saw it, and, while i'm not certain, i think that a theater employee did the call out and then other people picked it up. 

annang
#15Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/4/18 at 9:07pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "annang said: "BalconyClub said: "You had to use the spoiler phrase AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION in the thread title?

"

Your whole rant is an incredible overreaction stemming from you not having any idea of what is being spoken about and what goes on in the actual show. Too many assumptions. There is no pressure for anybody to participate. The part the OP is talking about is just one part that comes out organically. If nobody says anything then I think an usher ends up doing the necessary participation. It's a small but very effective part of the show.
"

Look, to each their own. I don’t like audience participation of any kind, to the point where I often call box offices in advance to ask about it. It’s not a “rant.” I appreciate that someone mentioned that this comes up, and I appreciate further the clarifying details in the subsequent comments. All of that information confirms for me that this show is definitely not one I’d enjoy. Nor is it one I can take friends who have sensory processing issues to. But I hope those who do choose to go enjoy themselves. 

Islander_fan
#16Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/4/18 at 9:41pm

I find it sad that you're letting one part of "audience participation" of this show get in the way of what would otherwise be a fantastic evening of theatre. And, the reason why they mention things like gunshots or haze is because it can impact this with hearing issues or respiratory issues. 

For the vast majority, audience participation isn't that big a deal by any means. 

annang
#17Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/4/18 at 9:49pm

Islander_fan said: "I find it sad that you're letting one part of "audience participation" of this show get in the way of what would otherwise be a fantastic evening of theatre. And, the reason why they mention things like gunshots or haze is because it can impact this with hearing issues or respiratory issues.

For the vast majority, audience participation isn't that big a deal by any means.
"

For the vast majority, gunshots and haze don’t cause hearing or respiratory issues. For some people, audience participation is a huge deal, because some people have health issues that make being touched or called out to or asked to move around a big risk. That’s precisely why I identified the lack of advanced notice about these things, including specifics about what’s involved, as an accessibility issue that should be disclosed to ticket buyers. 

I too am sad that I often can’t enjoy what would otherwise be a fantastic evening of theater because of this nonsense, which I have never found to enhance a show. I’m sure people who get anxious around gunshots feel the same way. But that’s why there are lots of different shows, so that people can enjoy the things that are accessible to them given their particular preferences and needs. I saw over 100 live theater performances last year. I’m not hurting for shows to see. I’m just really glad someone told me what was in this one, so I’d know that it’s not for me. I hope you can accept and respect that some people’s needs and wants are different from yours. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#18Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/4/18 at 10:14pm

Just to be clear here's the full spoiler on the audience participation...

NOBODY GETS CALLED ON OR HAS TO GET OUT OF THEIR SEAT OR INTERACT WITH ANY OF THE CHARACTERS OR TOUCH ANYBODY.

What happens in one scene is that there's a prop that is important to the "story" of the play and one of the actors puts it under a coach without another actor knowing about it. Then that actor needs it to move on with the scene and is looking for it on the stage...and then that prompts a member of the audience to say "it's under the couch" or whatever. During the performance I went to, multiple people were trying to assist the actor. And then the actor looks out and goes into a mini-rant about the audience laughing at their performance of the "very serious" play they're doing. That is it.

Updated On: 7/4/18 at 10:14 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#19Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/4/18 at 10:19pm

annang said: "I don’t like audience participation of any kind, to the point where I often call box offices in advance to ask about it. It’s not a “rant.”"

It's a good thing you do or else Tinkerbell would die in Peter Pan because of your refusal to clap your hands.

scarlet721
#20Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/4/18 at 10:34pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "Just to be clear here's the full spoiler on the audience participation...

NOBODY GETS CALLED ON OR HAS TO GET OUT OF THEIR SEAT OR INTERACT WITH ANY OF THE CHARACTERS OR TOUCH ANYBODY.

What happens in one scene is that there's a prop that is important to the "story" of the play and one of the actors puts itunder a coach without another actor knowing about it. Then that actor needs it to move on with the scene and is looking for it on the stage...and then that prompts a member of the audience to say "it's under the couch" or whatever. During the performance I went to, multiple people were trying to assist the actor.And then the actor looks out and goes into a mini-rant about the audience laughing at their performance of the "very serious" play they're doing. That is it.
"

There actually is a point (technically before the show, but most of the audience is seated) where an audience member is called up on stage, but this was definitely voluntary and I'm pretty sure that no one is "touched."  There are also cast members in the aisles before the show and during intermission (a la  Mystery of Edwin Drood at Studio 54), but again no one is touched.  Actually an usher made quite sure during intermission that the actors had a clear pathway to avoid the ladies' room line.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#21Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/4/18 at 10:47pm

Oh right, I did forget about that point. That said, you can sit perfectly still in your seat and have nothing done to do you nor do anything throughout the performance and it'll be perfectly fine.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#22Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish

Oh right, I did forget about those parts. That said, you can sit perfectly still in your seat and have nothing done to do you nor do anything throughout the performance and it'll be perfectly fine.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#23Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish

Oh right, I did forget about those parts. That said, you can sit perfectly still in your seat and have nothing done to do you nor do anything throughout the performance and it'll be perfectly fine.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#24Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/4/18 at 11:30pm

"

I've seen the show. There's no pressure to participate. It's a running gag that a character can't find something and in the show I went to it went on for about 10 minutes before an audience member shouted where it was. This is not Great Comet or Once On This Island which were "immersive" experiences. For every audience member except the (maybe planted) one that calls out the hint, this show is purely a sit back and laugh show.

Islander_fan
#25Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/5/18 at 9:03am

speaking as a member of the front of house team at The Lyceum. I urge you all to either see this show before it closes or revisit it one last time before it does. 

As for the "audience participation" (if you can even call it that) generally, if someone in the orchestra level doesn't get the ball rolling, we may whisper in an audience members ear to do so or at times do it ourselves. It very much fits in with the entire show within a show concept. 

Latest Posts