pixeltracker

Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish- Page 2

Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish

Islander_fan
#25Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/5/18 at 9:03am

speaking as a member of the front of house team at The Lyceum. I urge you all to either see this show before it closes or revisit it one last time before it does. 

As for the "audience participation" (if you can even call it that) generally, if someone in the orchestra level doesn't get the ball rolling, we may whisper in an audience members ear to do so or at times do it ourselves. It very much fits in with the entire show within a show concept. 

annang
#26Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/5/18 at 6:57pm

Islander_fan said: "speaking as a member of the front of house team at The Lyceum. I urge you all to either see this show before it closes or revisit it one last time before it does.

As for the "audience participation" (if you can even call it that) generally, if someone in the orchestra level doesn't get the ball rolling, we may whisper in an audience members ear to do so or at times do it ourselves. It very much fits in with the entire show within a show concept.
"

The audience member whose ear you whisper in, how is that person selected? I’m looking at touring houses, and I’d like to be able to advise friends with sensory or anxiety issues whether there are safe places to sit. Is anywhere outside the orchestra safe?

(for me, I just strongly dislike it, whether it’s happening to me or to seemingly consenting others, so I tend to skip shows that have it. But I have friends for whom it’s a real health issue, hence all the follow up questions.)

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#27Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/5/18 at 7:30pm

annang said: "Islander_fan said: "speaking as a member of the front of house team at The Lyceum. I urge you all to either see this show before it closes or revisit it one last time before it does.

"

The audience member whose ear you whisper in, how is that person selected? I’m looking at touring houses, and I’d like to be able to advise friends with sensory or anxiety issues whether there are safe places to sit. Is anywhere outside the orchestra safe?

(for me, I just strongly dislike it, whether it’s happening to me or to seemingly consenting others, so I tend to skip shows that have it. But I have friends for whom it’s a real health issue, hence all the follow up questions.)
"

Uh, if your friends have sensory or anxiety issues that severe that this would trigger a meltdown maybe live theater isn't the best place for them? 

Islander_fan
#28Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/5/18 at 7:52pm

annang said: "Islander_fan said: "speaking as a member of the front of house team at The Lyceum. I urge you all to either see this show before it closes or revisit it one last time before it does.

"

"

First off, if need be, the person picked generally tends to be whomever is closest to the usher.But, I digress. The reason why there are notices about haze/dry ice, heavy use of strobe lights or gunshots is because you're incorrect, they can cause serious issues for those with health issues. If you're one that suffered from epilepsy, for example, being in a theatre with mass strobe light can be an issue, those with auditory issues can have an issue with a gunshot, and those with respiratory issues could potentially have issues with smoke/dry ice etc. That said, Poisonivy2 is correct. If you're this worried about a small minor aspect in a short two hour play, then I don't know what to say. 

annang
#29Play The Goes Wrong audience participation Spoiler-ish
Posted: 7/9/18 at 10:14am

Islander_fan said: "annang said: "Islander_fan said: "speaking as a member of the front of house team at The Lyceum. I urge you all to either see this show before it closes or revisit it one last time before it does.

"

"

First off, if need be, the person picked generally tends to be whomever is closest to the usher.But, I digress. The reason why there are notices about haze/dry ice, heavy use of strobe lights or gunshots is because you're incorrect, they can cause serious issues for those with health issues. If you're one that suffered from epilepsy, for example, being in a theatre with mass strobe light can be an issue, those with auditory issues can have an issue with a gunshot, and those with respiratory issues could potentially have issues with smoke/dry ice etc. That said, Poisonivy2 is correct. If you'rethisworried about a small minor aspect in a short two hour play, then I don't know what to say.
"

I’m not sure what it is about my posts that are coming off as so “worried.” I find it irritating, so I tend to skip shows that have it. I also have good friends who love live theater, but have anxiety or other mental health issues that make shows that have audience participation stressful or dangerous, but shows without it are fine. I agree that strobe lights and smoke and gunshots deserve warnings. In my opinion, so does audience participation. We can certainly agree to disagree about that, if you like.