King Kong the Musical

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#75King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 3:06pm

He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#76King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 3:08pm

Pretty much every professional photo you see has been Photoshopped. It's not always major things like removing or altering the subjects, it's things like adjusting color and light or fixing minor blemishes. In this case, they adjusted the shadows and highlights and increased the blacks to get a better vignette of the two subjects. They also probably adjusted the exposure in areas to ensure none of the theatre would appear in the black portions of the photo. They also definitely bumped up the blues- there's a lot of blue, and it complements the orange in Christiani Pitts' skintone and makes her pop.

I just think it looks too slick and divorced from a time or place.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#77King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 3:29pm

I mean we all know this is going to be a gigantic hot mess. The puppet does look cool though.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#78King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 3:41pm

Bwayfan292 said: "I mean we all know this is going to be a gigantic hot mess. The puppet does look cool though."

'we all know' ?

Well I wasn't asked and I have no idea so I hope for all involved that it is a great big hit---then you can say that...'we all KNEW etc etc'.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#79King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 3:45pm

I am confused to the picture choice on this one as from the looks of the photo shoot video attached to it.... they had far more interesting set ups for pictures. This... it's lifeless for them both and there is no connection between them. Yes I understand I am talking about an actress and a puppet but she talks about how must life is in him in the video and it's no where to be seen in the picture they went with.

It looks like one of the bottom pictures from American's Next Top Model challenge. I could just hear Tyra asking her why she was not "smizing" and picking apart how limp and lifeless her body is.

theaterwiz414
#80King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/25/18 at 8:12am

morosco said: "He vould have an enormousschwanzstucker."

HA BEST COMMENT EVER

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#81King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/25/18 at 9:42am

Kong is an impressive puppet with impressive puppeteering. I think it will draw audiences who have money to burn, and aren't satisfied by watching the clips of his best moments that are already available on YouTube.

I don't like the score from the Australian production. I've read that there are changes, but whatever those might be, they're not getting the kind of publicity the puppet is getting. That says a lot to me.

Here's an example of why I'm not as excited about this show as others: Full Moon Lullaby. Although Kong's puppeteering contains realistic subtlety, with nuances that make me believe he's almost alive, the song is very bland (basically a one-chord accompaniment and one-note melody). And those lyrics... It's the kind of stock, angsty, predictable drivel I would expect a histrionic Goth tween would write as an assignment for their middle school poetry class. 

"Shadows now are waking, monsters in the bed. Bitter hearts are aching, Heaven knows just why? But look, the clouds are breakin' Full Moon Lullaby"

This scene, with its song, is an opportunity for the audience to feel the connection that is developing between Darrow and Kong. It's a very intimate moment. I wish the melody and the lyrics drew me into the intimacy of the moment - but nope. All I get is some weird, Goth-y tween-y bad poetry with a boring underscore.

joanntom
#82King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/25/18 at 11:10am

I believe that its a new book writer and theres new music. At least based on this plus the Queen of NY video , i'm sensing something very different.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#83King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/25/18 at 11:15am

This is the third book writer the show has had.

It seems like they had the puppet before the show.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 9/25/18 at 11:15 AM

Videos