pixeltracker

DEH launches tour tonight in Denver

DEH launches tour tonight in Denver

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#1DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 9/25/18 at 5:34pm

Can people who have seen it post what they think? Dying to hear reports!!

Aroberts3
#2DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/5/18 at 1:31am

Just back from the show in Denver tonight (Thursday 10/4). As a side note, I’ve seen the show 4 times in NY with 4 different Evans.

Thought BLR was great actually. His voice sounded great and really enjoyed him. Only complaint is I felt his anxious moments/ticks were almost over-exaggerated. I’m not sure if this was intentional in order to play to the bigger house or what, but it was a little over the top for me.

Sets looked the same as I remembered. Didn’t notice any differences.

I didn’t really enjoy Jessica Phillips (Heidi) during Good For You. Felt her voice was lacking the rock edge the song requires, but she sounded great during So Big/So Small.

Rest of the cast was good. No one really stood out for me except BLR.

Right before show started, I saw Justin Paul walk up aisle. Was kinda surprised to see him this far into the run but it was definitely him. I thought I may have spotted Benj during intermission, but I’m not totally sure since it was a ways away.

Updated On: 10/5/18 at 01:31 AM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#3DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/5/18 at 2:18pm

Here is what I posted on the Tour Cast thread: 

Just back from the 10/2 performance in Denver.  It's late. This was my first time seeing the show.

To answer the prior questions:  the Virtual Community Voices listed in the program are:  Becca Ayers, Mary Bacon, Gerard Canonico, Jenn Colella, Adam Halpin, Mykal Kilgore, Stephen Kunken, Tamika Lawrence, Carrie Manolakos, Ken Marks, Asa Somers, Jason Tam, Brenda Wehle, Natalie Weiss, Tim Young, Remy Zaken.

Stephen Christopher Anthony plays Evan Thursday and Saturday matinees and Sunday evening.

John Hemphill is the understudy for Larry Murphy.

Anthony and Noah Kesserman are understudies for Evan, Jared and Connor.

Jane Pfitsch and Coleen Sexton are listed as understudies for Cynthia Murphy and Heidi Hansen.

Ciara Alyse Harris and Maria Wirries are understudies for Alana and Zoe.

I thought the cast was pretty strong. 

Maggie McKenna (Zoe) slipped back into her native accent every now and then, but was otherwise just a powerhouse on stage.  Jessica Phillips was terrific as Heidi Hansen and So Big, So Small was heartbreaking.  Marrick Smith was a "strongish" Connor - which to me adds to the unsolved mystery of Connor's drug use and suicide - although I didn't actually spend a lot of time wondering about either.  Lots to infer - but nothing definitive.  Aaron Lazar and Christiane Noll did what they could with Conor's parents - but I had problems with the way those characters are written.  I thought Jared Goldsmith as Jared and Phoebe Koyabe as Alana were okay - nothing standoutish, nothing to complain about.  Ok - Jared reminded me of Curtis Armstrong as Tom Cruise's friend in Risky Business which was a little disconcerting.  I wasn't a fan of how Alana was written - even as comic relief.    

Ben Levi Ross was Evan Hansen - and he was very good.  Words Fail almost broke my heart - but just missed.  To me, he seemed to warm up as the evening went on - and not just because Evan's confidence grows during the show.  It was little things.  For example, it seemed like his higher notes in Act One - especially on Waving Through A Window - were hit and miss.  It seemed like he avoided those notes later in the show.  There were several nice touches - including a bit of OCD with the college scholarship papers.  But overall, I enjoyed his performance.

The last five minutes of Act One - You Will Be Found - were some of the strongest and most emotional moments I've seen on the stage.  Ok - I teared up - well maybe some flowed.  But there was a lot of that going on around me.

All that said, my daughter was very emotional - luckily we had tissues..  She, of course, has listened to the OBCR many many many times - but found (as I did) that the songs work so much better and have so much more heft in the context of the show.  

We sat in the third row of the Balcony - which had a pretty great view of the show - although I couldn't read all the projections, due to my eyesight!  However, the sound in Act One was pretty uneven.  It was difficult to hear lyrics and even some dialog.  After a week in the theatre, I would have thought those problems would have been solved or minimized.  The sound did seem to improve about midway through Act One.  

Last silly thought - it seemed like they spent so much money on projections that there was no money left over for any set pieces.  Yes, I know the minimal set pieces had to be deliberate - and allowed the show to zip along even though it started around 7:40 and ended about 10:25 (with an intermission).  But it was kind of striking.  

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/5/18 at 2:26pm

Aroberts3, not surprising that they were there seeing it was the first performance of the tour. I have attended tour openings in Denver and have seen the creatives in attendance. Have actually ended up meeting and chatting with some pre-show.

Just give the world Love.

Aroberts3
#5DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/5/18 at 2:42pm

uncageg said: "Aroberts3, not surprising that they were there seeing it was the first performance of the tour. I have attended tour openings in Denver and have seen the creatives in attendance. Have actually ended up meeting and chatting with some pre-show."

Yeah, I wouldn’t have been surprised if it was opening night in Denver.  But it’s been here for a little over a week so was kinda surprised to see them still hanging around.  Cool to see them none-the-less. 

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#6DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/5/18 at 3:25pm

All of these reviews seem underwhelming. That’s unfortunate. Perhaps they’ll get better as the tour progresses.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#7DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/5/18 at 4:06pm

Aroberts3 said: "uncageg said: "Aroberts3, not surprising that they were there seeing it was the first performance of the tour. I have attended tour openings in Denver and have seen the creatives in attendance. Have actually ended up meeting and chatting with some pre-show."

Yeah, I wouldn’t have been surprised if it was opening night in Denver. But it’s been here for a little over a week so was kinda surprised to see them still hanging around. Cool to see them none-the-less.

Thought it had already opened but wasn't sure. A friend posted a picture of the trucks arriving a week or so ago so i thought it had opened. Didn't pay attention to the comment dates.

Yes, interesting that they are still there but maybe they just want to be around for the first leg. I have also seen this with a few shows there.

Just give the world Love.

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#8DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/6/18 at 9:18am

It had it’s official opening last night, but there are no reviews.

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#9DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/7/18 at 3:16am

The review from the Denver Post was an epic tear down. Perhaps the worst review ever. Clearly, he didn’t like the premise nor the work of Pasek and Paul.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#10DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/7/18 at 10:07am

Gensho said: "The review from the Denver Post was an epic tear down. Perhaps the worst review ever. Clearly, he didn’t like the premise nor the work of Pasek and Paul."

Gee, I guess this means that the Broadway production will be posting its closing notice any day now. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

BwayLB
#11DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/7/18 at 10:47am

I don’t think so as long people continue to see it in NYC

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#12DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/7/18 at 10:51am

Of course it will continue to run. The show is a major hit with audiences. I was just surprised with how scathing the review was!

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#13DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/7/18 at 12:18pm

-grabs popcorn- I cannot WAIT to see how the rest of the country reacts to this show.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#14DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/7/18 at 12:46pm

BwayLB said: "I don’t think so as long people continue to see it in NYC"

i guess you’re not into sarcasm  

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

BwayLB
#15DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/7/18 at 12:52pm

Only when I use it

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#16DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/7/18 at 1:06pm

BwayLB said: "Only when I use it"

Another vocal exercise on sarcasm:

ONLY when I use it.

Only WHEN I use it.

Only when I use it.

Only when I USE it.

Only when I use IT.

Aroberts3
#17DEH launches tour tonight in Denver
Posted: 10/8/18 at 8:36am

I saw the show again last night (couldn’t stay away) in order to check out Stephen Christopher Anthony as Evan. Actually felt he was a much more believable Evan in comparison to BLR. His voice struggled some on higher nots and in falsetto, but I thought this downside was far outweighed by his acting. Would definitely not feel bad if you see him instead of BLR. As of now he’s slated to perform on Thursday matinees, Saturday matinees, and Sunday evenings.