pixeltracker

What is the Deal with Today's Stagedoor Culture? - Page 5

What is the Deal with Today's Stagedoor Culture?

JSquared2
#100Stagedoor
Posted: 11/27/18 at 11:54am

quizking101 said: "I’ve stagedoored for than 100 shows in my young life and I’ve always treated it as a special moment. The etiquette of it is actually something I learned over time through repetition. I’ve actually found myself correcting people (nicely) at stagedoors lately because there is an obscene amount of entitlement and unwarranted anger when people don’t come out. I’ve found it to be very irritating.

I saw quite a bit of this at ONCE ON THIS ISLAND when I saw it recently. It was a matinee and it was friggin cold so I wasn’t expecting many people, but Tamyra Gray, Cassondra James, and Kenita Miller (with two others) also came out and they were lovely as they braved the cold. But I heard some people grumbling and bitching about Hailey not coming out and I corrected them that she had two shows that day and, after what I saw her do on that stage, I’d probably want a nap too. They gave me bitchy eyes but I could tell they knew I was right.

Sorry, but while you're busy "correcting" (nicely) all those other stage door creatures, please know that you're no better than any of the rest --- as long as you all continue this with this odious practice, you're all equally annoying and obnoxious.  It's nothing new, and it's as true today as it was back in 1950 when Bette Davis (as Margo Channing) said the following in ALL ABOUT EVE:

"Autograph fiends, they're not people. Those are little beasts that run around in packs like coyotes...They're nobody's fans. They're juvenile delinquents, they're mental defectives, they're nobody's audience. They never see a play or a movie even. They're never indoors long enough."

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#101Stagedoor
Posted: 11/27/18 at 12:15pm

Armie3 said: "How so? To use your restaurant analogy from Post #8 of this thread - if you hang around after a meal, waiting for the waiter to come out, and then snap pictures of him as he makes his way home, is that not creepy stalking? It just seems inconsistent of you to justify picture-taking of a "public figure", when you rail against others giving that exact argument for stagedooring."

A waiter is not a public figure. The law creates a bright line. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#102Stagedoor
Posted: 11/27/18 at 12:42pm

JSquared2 said: "quizking101 said: "I’ve stagedoored for than 100 shows in my young life and I’ve always treated it as a special moment. The etiquette of it is actually something I learned over time through repetition. I’ve actually found myself correcting people (nicely) at stagedoors lately because there is an obscene amount of entitlement and unwarranted anger when people don’t come out. I’ve found it to be very irritating.

I saw quite a bit of this at ONCE ON THIS ISLAND when I saw it recently. It was a matinee and it was friggin cold so I wasn’t expecting many people, but Tamyra Gray, Cassondra James, and Kenita Miller (with two others) also came out and they were lovely as they braved the cold. But I heard some people grumbling and bitching about Hailey not coming out and I corrected them that she had two shows that day and, after what I saw her do on that stage, I’d probably want a nap too. They gave me bitchy eyes but I could tell they knew I was right.

Sorry, but while you're busy "correcting" (nicely) all those other stage door creatures, please know that you're no better than any of the rest --- as long as you all continue this with this odious practice, you're all equally annoying and obnoxious. It's nothing new, and it's as true today as it was back in 1950 when Bette Davis (as Margo Channing) said the following in ALL ABOUT EVE:

"Autograph fiends, they're not people. Those are little beasts that run around in packs like coyotes...They're nobody's fans. They're juvenile delinquents, they're mental defectives, they're nobody's audience. They never see a play or a movie even. They're never indoors long enough."
"

You have a right to your opinion, but I shall take your condescension in stride. In the meantime, put some Benefiber in your prune juice and blow your odious attitude out your backside.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

7thbighero
#103Stagedoor
Posted: 11/27/18 at 1:58pm

All i have to say is that while people attribute this behavior to teenagers, I’ve seen middle aged people be just as guilty of it. So I don’t think is it’s a generational thing

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#104Stagedoor
Posted: 1/9/19 at 12:24am

I've only stagedoored one show so far which was Once On This Island this past summer, and I can honestly say it was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. I got 9 signatures, including Loren Lott (who was on for Ti Moune at the time), Alex Newell, and others. Everyone was super nice, not to mention it was the 300th performance and they brought us cake and cookies.

I know I have very little experience to go off, but I would say that asking the people who come out to sign your playbill, take a photo with you, and congratulate them is perfectly reasonable - chances are they would love it. Especially if you can say some specific thing about their performance that really stood out to you, instead of just "You were great!" If there's something they did (in that show or otherwise that meant a lot to you, go for it. For example, my favorite musical is Come From Away and one of my biggest dreams is to see it on Broadway (I saw it in Toronto this past summer) and meet the cast, especially Jenn Colella. Last year she performed Me And the Sky with the Young People's Chorus of NYC, which is a group I've had connections with and admired for years, so I would love to be able to tell her how much YPC inspires me and how thankful I am that she was able to sing with them. Just be mindful and be sure you don't take up too much time. Also, as many other people said, it's the actor's choice as to whether or not they come out. I would say if you're going to stagedoor just hope for the best and meet as many people as you can, but don't have high expectations. You never know what will happen.

I'm seeing The Band's Visit next week so I hope to stagedoor that!

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3