pixeltracker

Alice By Heart (PREVIEWS)- Page 6

Alice By Heart (PREVIEWS)

zachvandyke
#125Alice By Heart (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 3/10/19 at 6:15pm

I was rooting so hard for this but it’s pretty awful. But the actors were great and acted like they thought they were in a great show. It’s got to be so hard to act in those circumstances. The audience was courteous but you could tell every laugh and clap was half-hearted. I went with 15 others and not one of us enjoyed our evening. Personally I just kept hoping they’d ditch the show they were doing and do “Spring Awakening.”

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#126Alice By Heart (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 3/30/19 at 8:21pm

I had nothing to do this afternoon and found a 19 dollar ticket on stub hub for the show. After hearing all the bad things on here I expected to not be so crazy about it....I know I'm in the extreme minority but I absolutely LOVED it. So smart and Inventive. The music blew me away and I cannot wait for the cast album! I am honestly considering trying to see it again before they close! Very impressed.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#127Alice By Heart (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 3/31/19 at 10:20am

I went into the show last night with lowered expectations, but I was very pleasantly surprised and really liked the show. Yes, the book could be improved, but I decided to go with it and not look for logic at every turn. I think the emotional through line is certainly there, and I felt that the show captures the fanciful and hallucinogenic essence of the original book.

The inventive staging is absolutely wonderful. I was constantly amazed by what the actors were able to do with a gesture, a movement, or coming together in a heap, or to form a caterpillar. This is a hard-working bunch! They were in constant motion in a way that enhanced the story.

I enjoyed the performances also. I think the Molly Gordon's subdued approach gave a much-needed balance to those who were over-the-top. Noah Galvin's Duchess was hilarious. Honestly, I thought everyone was great.

As far as the music, I enjoyed each song as it was performed, but Spring Awakening this ain't. The score to that show is electrifying and unforgettable. Alice by Heart tried to get there, but doesn't succeed. I'm waiting to see where The Secret Life of Bees falls on the creative spectrum.

The audience was very enthusiastic, but appropriately so. I didn't get the vibe that a bunch of stans were there. I did feel that some of the audience were repeatists, but that's fine with me. I've seen my favorite shows multiple times. 

As far as seating, our $35 seats in the center of Row B were excellent. Yes, the stage is very high, and the folks in Row A had to crane their necks up. (Those are rush seats). This is my first time in MCC's proscenium space, and I think the architect did a great job.

Overall, I had a great experience! I highly recommend Alice if you can get a reasonable ticket. If you do rush, bring something to sit on, because the theater does not have booster seats.

I am wondering why the stage needed to be so high. From where I was sitting, I could see what I think is the actual stage. The Alice platform seems to be about a foot and a half higher. I didn't notice the use of any hydraulics or a turntable that would necessitate a higher stage. Anyone know?

Updated On: 12/8/19 at 10:20 AM

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#128Alice By Heart (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 3/31/19 at 10:46am

They did a talk back and someone asked about the raised stage and they said “first and last time”

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#129Alice By Heart (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 3/31/19 at 1:50pm

That's good to hear!

Latest Posts