Hadestown Reviews

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#175Hadestown Reviews
Posted: 8/29/19 at 3:16pm

As I had mentioned before, Hadestown far exceeded my expectations. With the use of striking and distinctive lighting effects, simple choreography, a very cool set and unpretentious staging design, and a strong cast, everyone (including the Understudy, Alfa Hines, as Persephone) did a fantastic job. I wasn’t displeased in the slightest with any part of the entire show, with the small exception of the beginning of Act 2, which started off initially perplexing and then slowed to a crawl (comparatively Act 1 which was on fire). But then Act 2 built to a sublime, unforgettable masterpiece.

There were of course some exquisite, beautiful moments in the show, some that were quite touching, and one that surprisingly evoked a gasp from some of the audience.

Having listened to the outstanding OBCR in the few short weeks leading up to my trip, I was much more impressed with Eva Noblezada’s voice than I had originally thought I would be. She sings quite marvelously. And Reeve Carney has a distinctive, haunting quality in his song that only came out when seeing them performed on stage with the accompanying actions. Patrick Page (that voice) and André De Shields (so distinguished) were both absolutely marvelous, the latter being exceptional in his hosting of the story. As for the Fates, who were unexpectedly splendid and hypnotizing to watch and hear, when the three of them where together they seemed menacing and vaguely threatening.

And the first time the stage dropped it caught me completely off guard, the use of it rising and falling, and the concentric stage circles, was uniquely thrilling.

The onstage band blends in extremely well, never overshadowing the performance - Brian Drye on trombone, Dana Lyn on violin, and Liam Robinson on the piano were superb.

Since there is no scrim or stage curtain that falls, just prior to Act 2 the ushers repeatedly asked those standing around the aisles in the rows to take their seats. Of course many did not, and when Persephone staggers out it took a while for everyone to settle down again.

The final song post-curtain call took everyone off guard as some had started to leave, causing many to re-take their seats and again causing a bit of view obstruction from those of us still in our standing ovation.

After the show when I was outside taking pictures and getting ready to head for the Al Hirschfield Theatre I noticed the stage door repeatedly opening. Walking over I notice them passing out red flowers to everyone. I stood there for a moment and decided it would make a memorable souvenir to accompany my others, the souvenir program, magnet, and window card, all set alongside with the Playbill in a display.

Listening to the OBCR on the drive home from Pittsburgh this morning I could again easily visualize the show, the intensity, joy, and happiness of the simplest of moments.

Personally I think that this show was absolutely incredible, and I’d see it again in a heartbeat.

Updated On: 8/29/19 at 03:16 PM

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#176Hadestown Reviews
Posted: 8/29/19 at 3:22pm

Glad you enjoyed it! It's such a beautiful show. 

Updated On: 8/29/19 at 03:22 PM

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#177Hadestown Reviews
Posted: 8/31/19 at 11:58am

CarmenA3, you’re not kidding. Not sure if it’s a glitch or a special but I just picked up 61 dollar front mezz seats, wow!!

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#178Hadestown Reviews
Posted: 9/1/19 at 5:56pm

suicidalmickeymouse said: "CarmenA3, you’re not kidding. Not sure if it’s a glitch or a special but I just picked up 61 dollar front mezz seats, wow!!"

Excellent! LoL- we should do a BWW meetup.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#179Hadestown Reviews
Posted: 10/24/19 at 11:29am

Now that Amber Gray is attached to an Amazon show, any idea when she’ll be leaving the show? Have tickets for January and was really hoping to see her, but it doesn’t seem likely now.