Who Picks Rush Seats?

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#1Who Picks Rush Seats?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 8:39pm

Apologies if there's another thread on this out there somewhere that I missed -- I've been searching to no avail. The title is really my whole question: who chooses which seats are available at rush? How are they (if at all) different from seats available on TKTs or other discount apps? Why do they sometimes give away fantastic seats that they could probably get more money for elsewhere during the course of the day? 

I have no real impetus for asking beyond mere curiosity -- just wondering if anyone had empirical information on how box offices choose the seats. 

Thanks! 

Tking0012
#2Who Picks Rush Seats?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 8:59pm

The producers will sometimes set aside a certain section of the house (often times it's seems to be the partial views these days).

Other times it's whatever is left near curtain time.

alex814
#3Who Picks Rush Seats?
Posted: 5/16/19 at 11:44am

At “Be More Chill” I was told that the computer randomly selects tickets that get sold for rush.

I got second row orchestra center in the Squip Zone for $40 each. They even gave us one of the commemorative monthly pins.

Broadway61004
#4Who Picks Rush Seats?
Posted: 5/16/19 at 11:50am

Some shows set aside specific seats (i.e. first 2 rows of the rear mezzanine). Others, it's whatever is left on a given night (if they haven't sold row B seats 20-24, it will be those, if they haven't sold M 104-106, it will be those, etc.). Basically in that scenario, they want to sell every seat at full price, but if it's still unsold close to showtime, they may say "well, getting 40 bucks for it is better than nothing".

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#5Who Picks Rush Seats?
Posted: 5/16/19 at 12:23pm

My theory has always been that the producers get first crack at picking the seats for rush, but if they don’t care to set aside certain sections, then the venue decides.

I don’t know if this is the case, but the reason I think that is because I’ve noticed there are some Broadway theatres that tend to sell rush tickets in the same location, regardless of the show or who the producers are.