Workshop casts

AmeliaB2
#1Workshop casts
Posted: 6/17/19 at 3:41pm

If a musical has had a recent workshop, do they usually keep the same cast?If so, are they still required to have auditions? and If so, how far would that process go?  Would they just hold initial auditions or would they go all the way through call backs and final callbacks and then just cast the person from the workshop again?

obviously, there is no set rule, but I am asking about generally.

thanks Workshop casts

AEA AGMA SM
#2Workshop casts
Posted: 6/17/19 at 4:01pm

As you said, there are no rules regarding how far the cast moves. A smart creative team is looking at casting with an eye to the future, but there are so many variables that come into play. Somebody may get cast in something else, schedules could change, the creative team could change, something could happen in the workshop that completely alters the direction the piece is going in, characters get added, characters get cut, and the list goes on.

There are rules about the type and number of auditions that must be held at each stage. Call backs are not required by the union and do cost money so there's little point in holding them if the cast from the workshop is moving forward to the next stage (whether that be another workshop, out of town production, pre-Broadway tour, etc).

There's been more and more of a push within the industry to get more transparency regarding audition notices in respect to what is going on with casting, such as noting whether a role is already cast, if they are specifically seeking a "star," if an offer is out but not yet accepted, and other such items.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#3Workshop casts
Posted: 6/17/19 at 4:07pm

As you say, there's no set rule. It completely depends on the actor and creative team. Sometimes, after a workshop, the creative team might realize someone's not right for a role, so they decide to go in a different direction. Or, they might offer the actor a Broadway contract but the actor passes. Or, they might have a "first-choice" actor in mind who can't commit to the workshop but wants to do it on Bway.

Let's use Anastasia as a random example, because it had a well-documented developmental process. None of the principal actors in the first developmental session went to Broadway. (Of course, Tveit and Lansbury were probably offered and passed.) From the second developmental session, two actors went to Broadway. From the out-of-town run, all but one principal transferred to Bway.

AmeliaB2
#4Workshop casts
Posted: 6/18/19 at 10:09am

Thanks for the replies.  I have a final cb for a show that recently had a workshop so I am trying to gauge expectations I guess.  Just wanted to know if it just going through the motions.

Thanks again

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#5Workshop casts
Posted: 6/18/19 at 12:57pm

AmeliaB2 said: "Just wanted to know if it just going through the motions."

You will never know this, heh.