pixeltracker

Jesus Christ Superstar Musical at Bass Concert Hall, Austin, Texas- Page 2

Jesus Christ Superstar Musical at Bass Concert Hall, Austin, Texas

Stellasteve
#25Jesus Christ Superstar revival on tour
Posted: 10/28/19 at 2:56am

Okay, I finally saw the show today and I fell just short of loving it.  But it was really, really good.  

Regarding the costumes, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I personally am not a fan of athletic attire for non-athletic purposes.  However, I think it was quite effective here.  Plus, it wasn't really athletic attire but more on that in a minute.  Much like the movie used hippie attire to signal to the audience that this was role play set in the present, these costumes conveyed that we were on a journey with something akin to a group of Brooklyn hipsters.  This felt like a Yeezy fashion show . . . streetwear more than sweat pants.  I think another technique used to signify that this wasn't a period piece: the cast of Jesus' followers comes running in through the auditorium from the lobby post-Overture.  Oh, and the way Jesus is crucified and the set comprised of steel I-beams also tell you this isn't set in biblical times.  I am sorry OP was so disappointed, but I think the signs were there that the play wasn't intended to be set in 30 AD.

I had low expectations when this was first announced since there hasn't been a Broadway revival to drive this.  However, Mary and Judas were exceptional.  King Herod was flamboyant and a ton of fun.  My only two problems with it:

1) Jesus is played as overly subdued for the first half.  I get that he realizes he is near the end of his life, but you could barely hear him sing in anything up to Gethsemane.  However, he turns it on for Gethsemane.  The emotion really comes out.  By the time he sings "Judas, must you betray me with a kiss" I was teary-eyed.

2) Caiaphas had a great bass voice, but he wasn't as threatening as I would expect.  Annas was menacing, but Caiaphas was more like a big, cuddly teddy bear.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this production and recognize this is early in the tour so some actors may need time to develop the roles more.

ellbellthomps
#26Jesus Christ Superstar revival on tour
Posted: 2/28/20 at 10:57am

I saw this (for the first time). Went in knowing pretty much knowing the whole story (catholic school!), and I was SO confused. I never listened to the music for this one and had no expectations.

I didn't know what was happening. The only think I took in until after was that the music was good. You def have to do some prior research and listen to the music unless you want to be super confused. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#27Jesus Christ Superstar revival on tour
Posted: 2/28/20 at 3:31pm

Meh, arguing that sweat pants are a good choice because JCS is supposed to be set at the current calendar date is a faulty argument for at least three reasons.

One, I don't see anyone ever running around in sweat pants except sometimes the women who shop at Whole Foods.

Two, while the show was meant to be set in the contemporary moment when it was written, that doesn't mean the design choice should continue. Everything about the sound of that show in terms of both music and lyrics is very clearly late 60's/early 70's, so trying to make it look contemporary for today just comes across as fake culture (see the live t.v. version, as bad as any recent production). Follies was meant to take place "on this stage tonight," but it would be impossible to make that production choice today--how old would the attendees have to be if it took place in 2020 and they performed with Weissman in 1941 at the latest? Really "current calendar date" stops being accurate once a show has opened in its first incarnation. At that point, noting a few exceptions, it's pretty much frozen. I'm sure this will prove to be true of shows like Dear Evan Hanson, as well.

Three, Tim Rice never intended the show to take place at the current calendar date in the first place. That's just what the initial stage directors (Tom O'Horgan in the U.S., Jim Sharman in Australia then England) went with. In fact, his screenplay for the movie had the story set in the story's historical period.

Not commenting on the show, but definitely saying JCS doesn't require a contemporary setting, nor does a contemporary setting necessitate sweat pants. 

Det95
#28Jesus Christ Superstar revival on tour
Posted: 2/28/20 at 3:41pm

I saw the show and loved it in Detroit. I wouldn't call them sweatpants in the conventional sense. Sweatpants implies loungewear. I would classify the costume design as streetwear. I've definitely seen people dressed like that around and about. Mostly 30 and under, but still. That style is worn.

njf1003
#29Jesus Christ Superstar revival on tour
Posted: 3/3/20 at 2:21pm

TPAC has canceled opening night here of JCS because of the tornado last night. Hopefully it'll play the rest of the week (and the lottery is lucky! lol)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#30Jesus Christ Superstar revival on tour
Posted: 3/4/20 at 11:13am

Sweatpants implies loungewear. I would classify the costume design as streetwear. I've definitely seen people dressed like that around and about. Mostly 30 and under, but still. That style is worn.

That is correct.

Everything about the sound of that show in terms of both music and lyrics is very clearly late 60's/early 70's, so trying to make it look contemporary for today just comes across as fake culture (see the live t.v. version, as bad as any recent production).

Three, Tim Rice never intended the show to take place at the current calendar date in the first place. That's just what the initial stage directors (Tom O'Horgan in the U.S., Jim Sharman in Australia then England) went with. In fact, his screenplay for the movie had the story set in the story's historical period.

Whether Tim Rice intended the show to take place in the current calendar date or not, his lyrics are littered with colloquial jargon and definitely have a contemporary flare (including the multiple references in the title song).  Conceptual design and staging is not controlled by Rice, anyway.  This is the director's interpretation and concept for a production of a musical.  The same is done with plenty of other musicals, plays and operas.  All the time.  Like, constantly.  I've seen productions of JCS in more traditional period costumes, contemporary costuming and a mix of eras.  Any of it can work as long as the vision is translated consistently and clearly.  I don't know why you're so hung up on the word "sweatpants" or why something resembling sweatpants being worn bothers you so much.  The costume and makeup design is quite consistent and makes sense with this production.  And as others have said, the design is streetwear and I see the style in Chicago everywhere and every day.  Not to mention, I do see actual sweatpants (not what is worn in the show) being worn by men literally every day all around my neighborhood and in stores and shops.  I wear them myself (mostly joggers, which is closer to the style Judas wears in the show, but without the dropped crotch) when walking the dog or grocery shopping on the weekends.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 3/4/20 at 11:13 AM