No refunds from Second Stage?

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#1No refunds from Second Stage?
Posted: 5/7/20 at 3:35pm

So I get that times are tough for all the theater companies, and I appreciate that some have been proactive about giving refunds for the canceled shows this season. That's why I was surprised to receive the following email today from Second Stage about their canceled show "Between The Lines." Aren't they obligated to offer a refund?

"You are receiving this email because you have tickets to Between the Lines, a Daryl Roth production which was scheduled to play at the Tony Kiser Theater this month. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, this production has been postponed to Spring 2021.

We will hold the value of your tickets on account and you do not need to do anything. “On Account” means that the value of your ticket is waiting for you to reuse it at a later time.

Alternatively, you may consider releasing the value or partial value of your ticket for a tax-deductible donation by calling Subscriber Services."

nasty_khakis
#2No refunds from Second Stage?
Posted: 5/7/20 at 3:42pm

The Public did this for my ticket for The Visitor too. I probably could get someone on the phone and get a refund, but I'll definitely use that $30 or whatever for something else at the Public so figured it would be best to leave it on my account.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#3No refunds from Second Stage?
Posted: 5/7/20 at 3:48pm

Guess you missed this part:

If this isn’t feasible, you may also request a refund.

Donate if you can guys, many theaters will not make it through this. So, if you love a certain theater, please give if you can. heart

StageStruckLad
#4No refunds from Second Stage?
Posted: 5/7/20 at 4:01pm

Sutton Ross, the line "If this isn’t feasible, you may also request a refund" did not appear in the letter from Second Stage. I just double-checked to make sure I hadn't missed that line.

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#5No refunds from Second Stage?
Posted: 5/7/20 at 4:03pm

I received the same email today and one similar to it several weeks ago for Take Me Out.  Both shows will be presented at later dates and ticketholders/subscribers have the opportunity to see the shows when they are eventually presented.  I believe, and it's just a guess, that because Second Stage is giving people access to future performances that they are not automatically granting refunds

Updated On: 5/7/20 at 04:03 PM

StageStruckLad
#6No refunds from Second Stage?
Posted: 5/7/20 at 4:12pm

I love Second Stage, and I hope they and all the other theater companies find a way to come back when this crisis ends. That said, I think Second Stage should have offered a refund as an option. Manhattan Theater Club handled it much better when they offered a choice of donating the cost of tickets back to them or getting a refund. Here is the line they used regarding my tickets to "How I Learned to Drive":

If you are not able to accept a tax credit for your unused tickets at this time, we understand and if we do not hear from you by April 27, we will automatically issue your refund. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7No refunds from Second Stage?
Posted: 5/7/20 at 4:48pm

All the information on upcoming shows and choices about your ticket is on their website. 

https://2st.com/visit

StageStruckLad
#8No refunds from Second Stage?
Posted: 5/7/20 at 4:54pm

Thanks, Sutton Ross. I didn’t think to check the Second Stage website to see if there were other options. I guess the part about refunds accidentally fell off their two emails about “Take Me Out” and “Between the Lines.”