Rent - Hope Mill Theatre UK

Posner11
#1Rent - Hope Mill Theatre UK
Posted: 12/18/20 at 1:54pm

Rent might not be the immediate choice as a feel good musical during covid lockdown times but fortunately for us in the UK for the last month we have had the recording of the smaller scale but not in ambition Hope Mill theatre production of Rent available Friday/Saturday/Sunday evenings as a streaming show – last showings this weekend.

While Rent itself has a very strong following in the UK the stage production had limited runs and tours and the 20th anniversary brought a very vocally strong but more concert/semi-staged show so this production has been a real shot in the arm with the raw power and energy which Rent offers  - the Hope theatre stage in Manchester is a smaller square size with walled sides stage with the band behind a curtain at the back which makes a more closed in set than a normal theatre and one they use to full affect.

Its makes a difference seeing a much younger cast than normal (most of the cast were not even born when Rent launched which makes you feel old!) and while the production is very much a traditional Rent style production there are some subtle and brave staging changes. Cast wise Tom Francis as Roger has been the named stand out in a part which normally gets over shadowed despite him having some of the best songs.  Blake Patrick Anderson plays a Mark who thankfully isn’t annoying but special mention to Alex Thomas Smith who plays Angel still flamboyant in dress but much more reflective in tone as a character which makes Angel far more real and the connection with Collins (Dom Harley Harris) work much better. A cast of 12 work full on in the show all make their own presence.

The original plan was this to be the Summer show at this small theatre – it then became a post first lock down run but played five shows before caught in the next lockdown and it’s the official opening (and closing) night which has been filmed superbly by Umbrella Rooms who have caught the energy and power of the show far better than any of the Movie/Broadway filmed and TV Musical did. Sadly, once this weekend’s streams have run that looks to be it for the film release and they were only able to sell streaming tickets up to the number of people they would have had in the theatre had it run live.

The cast lived and worked in a bubble strict covid safe practices and the remarkable direction by Luke Sheppard uses this to powerful effect echoing Rents own virus line. For most of the show there is no physical contact and distance is maintained mirroring both the physical and emotion barriers the characters have. The space slowing decrease as the show goes on. Seasons of love has the cast around the sides of the stage rather than lined up but the finale B is where the show comes into its own and for me improves on the endings I have seen  - in previous productions the final lines has the suddenly resurrected  Angel running on to join the gang,  which while always gets a cheers has never been very satisfactory for me but in this one (spoiler alert) The “spirit” of Angel is on stage during Mimi recovery which makes her lines more effective as she talks about seeing Angel -  Angel then takes center stage and beckons first Collins then one by one the cast join together side by side hands clasped and belting out no day but today as a unified group. (believe me it works and while there is strict copyright on full filming you may find pics/gifs on twitter)

Its been great to see the reaction online from original and new younger fans of the show and we can only hope we do see it make a fuller run/tour sometime in the future.  I know there are a fair few rent heads on the board and sorry you cannot see this amazing production but hopefully the buzz will show that post covid that it does not need to be just the obvious musical feel good staples which are first back but that some of the edgier not obvious ones should be in the mix and could well prove to be more uplifting in showing that people together can overcome what life throws at them  

Alexander Lamar
#2Rent - Hope Mill Theatre UK
Posted: 12/18/20 at 8:09pm

Only streaming to the UK. I wonder if a VPN would work.

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#3Rent - Hope Mill Theatre UK
Posted: 12/19/20 at 2:38pm

A vpn doesnt work. Rent - Hope Mill Theatre UK

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4Rent - Hope Mill Theatre UK
Posted: 12/19/20 at 3:07pm

I really enjoyed this. Some very interesting directorial choice that switched it up a bit which was nice to see for a show that’s been done so many times.